SSN and nursing license

Old Jan 20th 2001, 4:29 am
Magdalena Walrod

My question is not a very typical one , but maybe someone can help me. I am a Registered
Nurse, Canadian citizen. Almost 2 years ago I applied for a license in Oregon ( was
planning to move there at the time). My plans have changed since then, but I have decided
to continue with my application, so I could get my license. I passed my board exam in
December, after which I was expecting to receive my license (have many friends who did it
this way in other states without any problems). To my absolute shock, I have received a
letter from OR board of nursing saying that I passsed the exam but they cannot issue me
the license because I don"t have Social Security Number. And that is where the problem
really begins. I can't get SSN if I don't have a job. I can't really get a job if I don't
have a license.. The memorandum of licensure that they sent me expires in february. They
want me to give them SSN and I don't have an idea how to get it. I know that Canadian
nurses can work in the states on TN visa. The whole problem is at present time I am not
planning on working in the states , all I want is the nursing license there.I have spent
quite a bit of money and energy to get that far and it looks like if I don't get the
license now, the whole deal expires. I just need help to show me some light into this
situation. Would really appreciate any advice. My email is [email protected]

Old Feb 7th 2001, 4:02 am
kwl24

A social security office may issue you a SSN if you have a proper and necessary reason,
like for license purpose, as in your case. Go to an Oregon socail security office and show
them your letter. Perhaps they can do you a favour. We got ours in CA.

Good luck.

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:29:14 -0800, "Magdalena Walrod"

>My question is not a very typical one , but maybe someone can help me. I am a Registered
>Nurse, Canadian citizen. Almost 2 years ago I applied for a license in Oregon ( was
>planning to move there at the time). My plans have changed since then, but I have decided
>to continue with my application, so I could get my license. I passed my board exam in
>December, after which I was expecting to receive my license (have many friends who did it
>this way in other states without any problems). To my absolute shock, I have received a
>letter from OR board of nursing saying that I passsed the exam but they cannot issue me
>the license because I don"t have Social Security Number. And that is where the problem
>really begins. I can't get SSN if I don't have a job. I can't really get a job if I don't
>have a license.. The memorandum of licensure that they sent me expires in february. They
>want me to give them SSN and I don't have an idea how to get it. I know that Canadian
>nurses can work in the states on TN visa. The whole problem is at present time I am not
>planning on working in the states , all I want is the nursing license there.I have spent
>quite a bit of money and energy to get that far and it looks like if I don't get the
>license now, the whole deal expires. I just need help to show me some light into this
>situation. Would really appreciate any advice. My email is [email protected]