SSA Memo

Old Mar 26th 2001, 9:20 pm
Andrew

The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being used to obtain a SS
number, even without an employment authorization stamp. However I can't find the memo
(File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000) online on the SSA website or anywhere
else. Where can I get a copy of this memo?

Thank you.

--
Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA

Old Mar 26th 2001, 9:58 pm
michael d young

Andrew wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

Your not going to find that on the Website. It was a Emergency Message (EM) to alert
field offices of the policy change until the Program Operations Manual System (POMS)
section RM 00302.500 C.2 can be updated or at least that's what I heard. LOL

Take care,

Mike

Old Mar 26th 2001, 10:57 pm
Andrew

thanks for the info, very helpful!

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being used to[/usenetquote2]
obtain
[usenetquote2]> > a SS number, even without an employment authorization stamp. However I can't find[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the memo (File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000) online on[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > SSA website or anywhere else. Where can I get a copy of this memo?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
(EM) to
    >
Manual
    >
what I
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 1:22 am
christine1438

Go toAlvena's site, you can get a copy there
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/AOS.html

[usenetquote2]> > > The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being used to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > a SS number, even without an employment authorization stamp. However[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > > can't find the memo (File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000) online[/usenetquote2]
on
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > SSA website or anywhere else. Where can I get a copy of this memo?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hi All![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Your not going to find that on the Website. It was a Emergency Message[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > alert field offices of the policy change until the Program Operations[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > System (POMS) section RM 00302.500 C.2 can be updated or at least[/usenetquote2]
that's
    >
[usenetquote2]> > heard. LOL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Take care,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mike [/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 1:24 am
mjones

>
    >
    >
    >

Deb asked for, and received from SSA, a text copy of the memo via email, and she
posted to the group on Jan 25, 2001. I copied her post in the file I kept on the
issue. http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38.../ssn_memo1.txt Its down near the
bottom of the file. Mike

Old Mar 27th 2001, 4:01 am
Andrew

Alvena's web site (which I have spent most of the day pouring over) states that both
an EAD and SSN are required for obtaining employment in the US.

I do not believe this is true for a Canadian citizen coming to the US as the I-9 form
indicates a Canadian drivers license can be used to establish identity and a US
social security card (other than one stating it's not valid for employment) can be
used to establish employment eligibility.

So it seems to me that my Canadian fiancée can enter the US, we can go the local SSA
office and get her a SSN with her I-94 without an EAD or even a work authorization
stamp, and she would be able to use her Canadian DL and SS card to get a job here.

Of course she would still need to apply for the EAD valid for one year (and maybe a
90 day EAD if the other doesn't come fast enough???), but I think as soon as she gets
her SS card in the mail she could look for employment.

Does this seem correct? Any input would be appreciated....

Thank you.

>
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being used to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > obtain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > a SS number, even without an employment authorization stamp.[/usenetquote2]
However
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > can't find the memo (File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000)[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > SSA website or anywhere else. Where can I get a copy of this memo?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Hi All![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Your not going to find that on the Website. It was a Emergency[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > alert field offices of the policy change until the Program Operations[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Manual[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > System (POMS) section RM 00302.500 C.2 can be updated or at least[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > what I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > heard. LOL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Take care,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Mike [/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 27th 2001, 10:50 am
L

Canadians are not exempt from having an EAD to be legal to work. Alvena's site is
absolutely correct. The SS card alone without an EAD does not authorize your fiancee
to work in the US. Linda

Andrew wrote:
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 1:29 pm
Jonathan_ATC

Just to echo what Linda said, you MUST have an SSN AND an EAD in order to work
legally in the US. A Canadian driver license will NOT work.

As well, she WILL get a SS card with the wording, "Valid for work with INS
authorization only." or something similar to this. She is not legal to work unless
she has valid employment authorization document. Also, she cannot work during such
time as she does not have a valid EAD. i.e. after the 90 day one expires and she is
waiting on the 1 year card. (Although coming from Canada, it is doubtful she will go
through an EAD friendly POE, so no 90 day either. She will have to wait to work until
you are married and have filed AOS with the I-765 for the 1 year card.

Hope this helps explain things better.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
(and
    >
as
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Go toAlvena's site, you can get a copy there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/AOS.html[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being used[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > obtain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > a SS number, even without an employment authorization stamp.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > can't find the memo (File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000)[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > SSA website or anywhere else. Where can I get a copy of this[/usenetquote2]
memo?
[usenetquote2]> > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Hi All![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Your not going to find that on the Website. It was a Emergency[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > (EM) to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > alert field offices of the policy change until the Program[/usenetquote2]
Operations
[usenetquote2]> > > Manual[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > System (POMS) section RM 00302.500 C.2 can be updated or at least[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > what I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > heard. LOL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Take care,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Mike [/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 27th 2001, 2:21 pm
Andrew

Hi,

What about if my fiancée is able to get the work authorization stamp at the POE and
then we get her a SSN within a couple weeks of here getting here? Can she use that to
get a job?

If she can do that then we can get married as soon as she gets here then file for the
AOS and 1 yr EAD. If her initial 90 days is about to expire then go to the local INS
and beg for a EAD card??

Thoughts?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
work
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
have
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Alvena's web site (which I have spent most of the day pouring over)[/usenetquote2]
states
[usenetquote2]> > that both an EAD and SSN are required for obtaining employment in the[/usenetquote2]
US.
[usenetquote2]> > I do not believe this is true for a Canadian citizen coming to the US as[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I-9 form indicates a Canadian drivers license can be used to establish identity[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and a US social security card (other than one stating it's not valid for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > employment) can be used to establish employment eligibility.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So it seems to me that my Canadian fiancée can enter the US, we can go[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > local SSA office and get her a SSN with her I-94 without an EAD or even[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > work authorization stamp, and she would be able to use her Canadian DL[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > SS card to get a job here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Of course she would still need to apply for the EAD valid for one year[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > maybe a 90 day EAD if the other doesn't come fast enough???), but I[/usenetquote2]
think
    >
[usenetquote2]> > soon as she gets her SS card in the mail she could look for employment.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does this seem correct? Any input would be appreciated....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Go toAlvena's site, you can get a copy there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/AOS.html[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being[/usenetquote2]
used
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > obtain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > a SS number, even without an employment authorization stamp.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > However[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > can't find the memo (File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > online[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > SSA website or anywhere else. Where can I get a copy of this[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Hi All![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Your not going to find that on the Website. It was a Emergency[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Message[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > (EM) to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > alert field offices of the policy change until the Program[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > Manual[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > System (POMS) section RM 00302.500 C.2 can be updated or at least[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > that's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > what I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > heard. LOL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Take care,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Mike [/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 27th 2001, 6:38 pm
Evan and Sheila

Well yes.. a work authorization stamp is just that.. work authorization. Unless
there's something really odd that I don't know about. She can use that to get a job
(with the SSN).

It all comes down to where you'll be filing. Some allow you to go down and apply
for the EAD in person (some apparently are requiring it) so that way they approve
it on the spot and give you a date to come back to get the card. Usually it's
within a month from them. You can try begging.. it could possibly work. When we
applied for my first 1 year EAD my 90 day EAD that I got at a Canada/US POE was
about to expire. We told the woman at the counter that I was expecting a job
offer from a good company. She knew of the company and did her best to get me a
sooner date since she knew that was one offer I wouldn't want to turn down.

So there you go.. anything is possible.. but as always, be sure to play it safe.

Cheers, Evan

>
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Just to echo what Linda said, you MUST have an SSN AND an EAD in order[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > work legally in the US. A Canadian driver license will NOT work.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As well, she WILL get a SS card with the wording, "Valid for work with[/usenetquote2]
INS
[usenetquote2]> > authorization only." or something similar to this. She is not legal to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > unless she has valid employment authorization document. Also, she[/usenetquote2]
cannot
[usenetquote2]> > work during such time as she does not have a valid EAD. i.e. after the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > day one expires and she is waiting on the 1 year card. (Although coming from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada, it is doubtful she will go through an EAD friendly POE, so[/usenetquote2]
no
[usenetquote2]> > 90 day either. She will have to wait to work until you are married and[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > filed AOS with the I-765 for the 1 year card.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hope this helps explain things better.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Alvena's Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Naturalization Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not legal advice. For reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > immigration attorney.}[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Alvena's web site (which I have spent most of the day pouring over)[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > that both an EAD and SSN are required for obtaining employment in the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > I do not believe this is true for a Canadian citizen coming to the US[/usenetquote2]
as
[usenetquote2]> > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I-9 form indicates a Canadian drivers license can be used to establish identity[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > and a US social security card (other than one stating it's[/usenetquote2]
not
[usenetquote2]> > > valid for employment) can be used to establish employment eligibility.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > So it seems to me that my Canadian fiancée can enter the US, we can go[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > local SSA office and get her a SSN with her I-94 without an EAD or[/usenetquote2]
even
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > work authorization stamp, and she would be able to use her Canadian DL[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > SS card to get a job here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Of course she would still need to apply for the EAD valid for one year[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > maybe a 90 day EAD if the other doesn't come fast enough???), but I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > soon as she gets her SS card in the mail she could look for[/usenetquote2]
employment.
[usenetquote2]> > > Does this seem correct? Any input would be appreciated....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > Go toAlvena's site, you can get a copy there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/AOS.html[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > The K1 Visa FAQ lists a SS memo regarding a valid I-94 being[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > obtain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > a SS number, even without an employment authorization stamp.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > However[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > can't find the memo (File no. EM-00154 dated November 1, 2000)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > online[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > SSA website or anywhere else. Where can I get a copy of this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > memo?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > > Andrew R Bruemmer Burnsville, MN USA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Hi All![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Your not going to find that on the Website. It was a Emergency[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Message[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > (EM) to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > alert field offices of the policy change until the Program[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Operations[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Manual[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > System (POMS) section RM 00302.500 C.2 can be updated or at[/usenetquote2]
least
[usenetquote2]> > > > that's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > what I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > heard. LOL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Take care,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Mike [/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 27th 2001, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

bc_39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD card

I called the local POE this morning, talked to an immigration officer. I was asking if they could provide me with a stamp or card. He told me no, they don't have the equiptment to do this, but, if I go directly to Spokane INS office, they will issue me an EAD card on the spot. He did ask me where I would be getting married, I told him Wyoming.

What I'm wondering, can I then stop by the SS office and apply for my SS card?