Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Delay to obtain H1b after it has been received by the INS

Delay to obtain H1b after it has been received by the INS

Old Mar 27th 2001, 6:50 pm
francois

The INS received my application in mid January.I am sponsored for a computer related
job in the State of Florida. My lawyer told me first that I should obtain it at the
of March. So, I resigned from my job a week ago to prepare everything for my
departur. Today, I contacted my lawyer again and now he is saying that it would take
3 or 4 weeks longer i.e end of april. Has anyone an idea of how long ot will really
take for the INS to deliver my H1b?

Regards, François

Old Mar 27th 2001, 9:28 pm
Jaana Kittilä

Hi Francois, First of all, it's not a good idea to resign you current work until you
KNOW that your application has been approved. There is no guarantee that it happens
when the application is submitted. It's not even guaranteed after INS has approved
it, it still needs to be approved by the US Embassy in your home country. I'm not
saying this to scare you, but it's something to think about. I was not even sure that
I would get mine when I sent my passport to the US Embassy in Helsinki, Finland to be
stampped with the H1-B visa. That's just to show you that nothing is guaranteed and
sure until you have your passport with the stamp in it in your hand.

Your application is in Texas. My application was sent Nov 30, receipt date was Dec 2
and it was approved March 1. You can count from that that it took 3 months almost to
the date. I didn't receive RFE (request for evidence) which will delay it for another
month or so. The closer to the spring the application is sent, the longer it will
take for the backlog of applications gets bigger.

All you can do is sit back and wait. Good luck!

Jaana

>
computer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
my
    >
    >