Sponsors.....

Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:14 am

AmberNickVN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsors.....

Hey y'all

I just realised a BIG problem...

Whenever i get to moving to the US, my wife won't be making 125% of the poverty line and everyone in her family either does not file taxes correctly or does not make the 125% thus leaving me with NOOOOOOOO co-sponsor....

1.....is there anyway around that?

2.....My uncle (who married into my family)'s brother now lives in Washington. He's originally from Scotland and is NOT yet a US Citizen, would he able to sponsor me?

heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllp
Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsors.....

Originally Posted by AmberNickVN
Hey y'all

Whenever i get to moving to the US, my wife won't be making 125% of the poverty line and everyone in her family either does not file taxes correctly or does not make the 125% thus leaving me with NOOOOOOOO co-sponsor....

2.....My uncle (who married into my family)'s brother now lives in Washington. He's originally from Scotland and is NOT yet a US Citizen, would he able to sponsor me?

Hi Nick,

1. There is NOOO way around that....unless you have enough assets at 5x the 125% minimum to sponsor yourself.

2. I am not sure if the joint sponsor has to be a USC or can be a PR. Read up on the I-134 or I-864 (not sure which you'll need...depends on if you're getting a K visa or a CR/IR-1 visa). Go to www.uscis.gov and research those two forms.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 30th 2005 at 2:54 am. Reason: addition
Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:59 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hey y'all

A sponsor, or joint sponsor, must also be:
A citizen or national of the United States or an alien
lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent
residence;
At least 18 years of age; and
Domiciled in the United States or its territories and possessions.

Last edited by Ray; Jan 30th 2005 at 3:37 am.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just did a little research and it seems that a PR can be a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Your uncle would be no help at all.....
Why not, Ray?
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just did a little research and it seems that a PR can be a joint sponsor.
i thought they had to be a citizen too, from what I've been told here before...though could be wrong
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:37 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Why not, Ray?
your right ..amended posting
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that no one you know makes over 125% of the poverty guidelines? The standards are very low, and it would be very difficult to even get by if you're below that line - well, depending on where you live, I suppose... anyway, maybe double check with her various family members... if its a case that they just havent filed taxes in the past (I think you mentioned something about that in the original post?) then, I'm pretty sure they can file them now for the past few years. Otherwise, it looks like you've got to beef up your assets so that theyre enough to cover 5x the level...
Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by andrea874
Are you sure that no one you know makes over 125% of the poverty guidelines? The standards are very low, and it would be very difficult to even get by if you're below that line - well, depending on where you live, I suppose... anyway, maybe double check with her various family members... if its a case that they just havent filed taxes in the past (I think you mentioned something about that in the original post?) then, I'm pretty sure they can file them now for the past few years. Otherwise, it looks like you've got to beef up your assets so that theyre enough to cover 5x the level...

that's the problem, i live with my parents and I'm only21....what 21 year old do you know that has over 100k in assets?

there are members of her family that make well over the line, but they don't file taxes properly.

her father makes like 40k a year and their household is 5 people (father, mother, 2 brothers and my wife) BUT he hasn't been able to pay taxes in a long time so he'll uneligable as he does not have his tax returns.

i know 2 other members of her family also make over the line but don't declare taxes properly

i know her other aunt and uncle made like 60k last year but i'm not sure on their taxes situation...i need to ask more about them.

BUT if a LPR is able to sponsor me then i think i can get that from my uncle's brother....i just thought it'd be a problem since he lives in washington DC?
Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Please just read the Fact Sheet about the I-864. It will save you a lot of stress worrying about things, then asking questions and worrying some more while waiting for answers.

http://tinyurl.com/5knln

Elaine
Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

that's the problem, i live with my parents and I'm only21....what 21 year old do you know that has over 100k in assets?

there are members of her family that make well over the line, but they don't file taxes properly.

her father makes like 40k a year and their household is 5 people (father, mother, 2 brothers and my wife) BUT he hasn't been able to pay taxes in a long time so he'll uneligable as he does not have his tax returns.

i know 2 other members of her family also make over the line but don't declare taxes properly

i know her other aunt and uncle made like 60k last year but i'm not sure on their taxes situation...i need to ask more about them.

BUT if a LPR is able to sponsor me then i think i can get that from my uncle's brother....i just thought it'd be a problem since he lives in washington DC?
If there are members in her family who make enough money but havent filed the taxes, have them file the back taxes now (if you can get them to, that is) and then apply
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:29 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

BUT he hasn't been able to pay taxes in a long time so he'll uneligable as he does not have his tax returns.

Why in the world do these people think it's ok not to file income taxes? And how do you know they don't?

Just curious.
~SecretGarden
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:16 pm

Hi Nick,

Sounds like you have some options now.
1. Get her family members who qualify financially, to file back taxes now, so they can qualify to help you.
2. Get the uncle to help you, if he's a LPR and qualifies financially and has the supporting docs. It doesn't matter where in the USA he lives.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:57 pm

Hi Nick,

Sounds like you have some options now.
1. Get her family members who qualify financially, to file back taxes now, so they can qualify to help you.
2. Get the uncle to help you, if he's a LPR and qualifies financially and has the supporting docs. It doesn't matter where in the USA he lives.

Best Wishes,
Rene

secret.....her father was making like over 100k in 2001 but after sept 11, lost his job, ended up having to use the credit card a lot to get by, ruined their credit and now has to pay almost 900$ a month just on rent, that's why he hasn't filed taxes in awhile, but hopefully by the time i need to get a sponsor as this isnt an urgent mater or anything, he'll have settled it cause he's trying to do that right now.