Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

South African and UK police clearance experience via DCF

South African and UK police clearance experience via DCF

Old Sep 18th 2001, 7:19 pm
Vaspecad1

my fiance and i are going through the DCF process in South Africa. she had lived in
london for a couple years as well as being a resident of south africa so we needed
police certificates from both places. I sent both the SA clearance (to Pretoria) and
UK clearance to Kent, UK) with DHL courier services. They left on 20th August 2001.

The SA one was sent straight to the police in Pretoria. I had prepaid the fee at our
local police station and sent a certified copy of the receipt. I was told it would
take about 2-3 weeks. I phoned on Friday 7th to see if it was ready yet. They told me
it just needed a signature and to phone again on Monday pm. I phoned on Tuesday
september 11th (WTC disaster) and was told it was ready. So then phoned DHL who
collected it and phoned me on Wednesday morning about 9am to say it was here and I
could collect it

The UK one was first sent to my parents, who opened it and added a cheque for 10
pounds sterling (the fee required.) They then re addressed and posted it 1st class
mail to Maidstone, Kent. I received a letter dated August 23rd from Kent County
Constabulary (where the Data protection services offices are) saying they had
received the cheque and to expect it to take 40 days to process. They were forwarding
it on to the National Subject Access office who hold the central records. I then had
an email from my parents (dated september 6th) saying they had received the personal
record certificate and they were sending it to me by recorded post. They posted it
that afternoon. It arrived here on Wednesday september 12th.

so it took exactly 23 days to recieve the both of them from the date we sent out the
request forms.

Aug 20th - september 12th

any questions, feel free to ask me good luck to all of us awaiting our loved ones.

jon .