Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Sibling visa - 2 quick questions...

Sibling visa - 2 quick questions...

Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

El_Duende is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sibling visa - 2 quick questions...

Hi everyone,

My sister is a US citizen (originally from UK), I'm a UK citizen (run own company, BA Hons etc), and I'm looking into getting a sibling visa via the I-130 form.

Two quick questions, if anyone can help, please:

- are rumours true re: huge back-log of 10+ years?
- can my partner (unmarried) come with me? (if so, what forms?)

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sibling visa - 2 quick questions...

Originally Posted by El_Duende
Hi everyone,

My sister is a US citizen (originally from UK), I'm a UK citizen (run own company, BA Hons etc), and I'm looking into getting a sibling visa via the I-130 form.

Thanks in advance!
Yes ...
yes after marriage
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Am a U.S. Citizen...
How Do I…Help My Relative Become a Permanent Resident of the United States?

What does the petition do for my relative?
Filing a relative petition and proving a qualifying relationship gives the relative a place in line among others waiting to immigrate based on the same kind of relationship. When the place in line is reached, the relative may be eligible to apply to immigrate.

..For other relatives, the combination of high demand and the limits set by law on how many people can immigrate each year means your relative may have to wait several years while petitions that were filed before theirs are served. When your relative reaches the “front of the line”, the Department of State contacts your relative and invites him or her to apply for an immigrant visa. If you are interested in current wait times for visa numbers, see “Visa Bulletins” on the State Department’s website at www.travel.state.gov/visa.

What about my relative’s family?
In most cases, when your relative’s place in line is reached and he/she applies to immigrate, his or her husband or wife and unmarried children under 21 can apply as dependents.
For example: You file a petition for your sister. You cannot directly petition for her husband and children. However, they can apply for immigrant visas with her, when her place in line
is reached.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Check the visa bulletin for current priority dates being processed. Be aware that can speed up or slow down at any time, so no way to accurately predict the future. But it will be "many" years, and it always seems to be the category with the biggest backlog.

Unmarried, no. You'd have to be married in order for your partner to immigrate with you.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

and they dont recognize same sex partners in any case so if thats what you have they would need to find an alternative method to emigrate.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
and they dont recognize same sex partners in any case so if thats what you have they would need to find an alternative method to emigrate.
Maybe that will have changed by the time a visa number is available for the OP.