Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Would love to move to Florida. How?

Would love to move to Florida. How?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

gscott6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Would love to move to Florida. How?

OK so I'm not sure if I am in the right thread but here it goes:

I am 24 years old and would love to move to Florida, even for a while then a view to stay for good. A couple of things I would like to know:

If I did the green card lottery and by some fluke got one, how difficult would it be to get decent paying job, I have 10 GCSE's, 3 A Levels and an Accounting Technician qualification (wouldn't care what job I would do as long as it paid enough to live off)

Would it be advisable for me to get health insurance?

What are my other options bearing in mind I have no chance of getting enough money to buy into a business

Any other information you can give me would be great (and if anyone owns a business and wants to sponsor me... I wish!!!)

Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New members moving to Florida, looking for advice

Originally Posted by gscott6
If I did the green card lottery and by some fluke got one, how difficult would it be to get decent paying job, I have 10 GCSE's, 3 A Levels and an Accounting Technician qualification (wouldn't care what job I would do as long as it paid enough to live off)
No employer here would know what an A level was ...

One day in hospital could cost $10K you need insurance if you can afford it ...lots cannot..... Pills can be very expensive
What are my other options bearing in mind I have no chance of getting enough money to buy into a business
Stay where you are if you have job
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Stay where you are if you have job[/QUOTE]

That's all good advice but it's a dream and i'm only 24 so if it didnt work out it wouldn't be too bad...I think

so if anyone has any more advice....let me know. Would really appreciate it.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Stay where you are if you have job
That's all good advice but it's a dream and i'm only 24 so if it didnt work out it wouldn't be too bad...I think

so if anyone has any more advice....let me know. Would really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Gscott, welcome to BE, the advice Ray gave is probably the best you will get, at least for now...things are pretty tough in the US, no jobs around for most, it's not easy to find an employer to sponsor a foreigner, it cost big$$ and there are planty already here that are willing to work. You have time on your side, you could get some qualifications that would make you more attractive in the future, take a look in the wiki or the immigration forum, there are lots of threads that will give you an idea of what you are up against.

It's good to have a dream, Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If I did the green card lottery and by some fluke got one
That would be one hell of a fluke assuming from the rest of your comment that you are in the UK. Hint, people from the UK are not eligible for the lottery at the moment.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Hint, people from the UK are not eligible for the lottery at the moment.
Not exactly true they may be married to a foreigner who is or something similar there are UK DV winners on this forum
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not exactly true they may be married to a foreigner who is or something similar there are UK DV winners on this forum
Best visa bar none!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:13 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Best visa bar none!
Yup Fatbrit is English ..he got here thru the DV
but his wife is an Abyssinia
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OK so I'm not sure if I am in the right thread but here it goes:

I am 24 years old and would love to move to Florida, even for a while then a view to stay for good. A couple of things I would like to know:

Any other information you can give me would be great (and if anyone owns a business and wants to sponsor me... I wish!!!)

Thanks
gscott6, please read this pinned thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898 and post your questions in the Immigration forum. Your questions are unrelated to this thread.

Thank you.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

You are quite correct that you cant enter the DV lottery if you are UK citizen but you can if you are British and live in Northern Ireland like me.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You are quite correct that you cant enter the DV lottery if you are UK citizen but you can if you are British and live in Northern Ireland like me.
Ah well you didn't mention that!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Live is irrelevant. Born would work.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is that where you were born? Or you have another changeability to NI?

I guess I will have to move your posts for you.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Or they could have an Irish passport.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:31 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Rete
Or they could have an Irish passport.
Irrelevant to eligibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.