shoplifting caution

Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:24 am
Just Joined

chocolatepie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shoplifting caution

Hi, I was cautioned for shoplifting 37 pounds of goods 2 years ago when I was 20. Dumbest decision of my life. I recently accepted a consultancy job and the job may require travelling to USA. I understand that I will not be able to use the VMP and will have to apply for a B1/2 visa.

Will the caution prevent me from getting the B1/2 visa? The petty offence exception said that the offence cannot have a maximum sentence of over a year. Is the maximum sentence with reference to UK law or US law?

How long is the B1/2 visa application process? What will be the length of validity for the B1/2 visa?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:39 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shoplifting caution

Will the caution prevent me from getting the B1/2 visa? Possibly.

The petty offence exception said that the offence cannot have a maximum sentence of over a year. Is the maximum sentence with reference to UK law or US law? UK law.

How long is the B1/2 visa application process? It will take about a month to acquire an ACPO certificate detailing your police record. You will need to get that first. Then it can take a month or more to get an appointment at the US embassy and submit your visa application. If the visa is granted, it usually takes a further couple of weeks to be issued. If you need a waiver or other administrative processing, that could stretch to six months or more.

What will be the length of validity for the B1/2 visa? Usually ten years, but can be issued for shorter periods and with a restricted number of visits - especially if a waiver of ineligibility is needed.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Jul 19th 2015 at 7:46 am.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Okay, so I would require a waiver since the maximum sentence in the UK for theft is 7 years? Should I get an attorney to deal with my waiver?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:19 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolatepie
Okay, so I would require a waiver since the maximum sentence in the UK for theft is 7 years? Should I get an attorney to deal with my waiver?
If you require a waiver, an attorney isn't necessary in my opinion as there's no further paperwork to be completed. It's up to the consular official at the embassy whether or not you will be recommended for a waiver and you will be notified of that at the time.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:21 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

2 years is pretty recent for the purposes of US immigration, you might run into problems.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:39 am
Just Joined

in that case should i wait another year or two before applying?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolatepie
Dumbest decision of my life.
You're still young... lots of time to make even dumber decisions!

I understand that I will not be able to use the VMP and will have to apply for a B1/2 visa.
I think you mean VWP - the visa waiver program... but, yes - you'll need a B1/2 visa.

Will the caution prevent me from getting the B1/2 visa?
Perhaps - although, as civilservant mentioned, 2 years is very recent where US immigration is concerned.

How long is the B1/2 visa application process?
However long it takes, start now... right now. If possible, you want a visa in place before you're asked to travel to the US. If your employer doesn't know about your caution, it's sure to come out when you need to go to the US and he wants to know why you can't just use the VWP. Start now.

Ian