Selective Service ???

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:29 am
DSL
Just Joined

DSL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selective Service ???

Hey Folks - I need help!

I came over to America on a K1 Visa in January 96, got married in February 96, and turned 26 in June 96. I filed my I-485 that March and it was granted in the following September. My I-751 was approved in July 98.

I have a kid on the way, and thought it was time to apply for US Citizenship. Looking through the documentation requirements, it starts talking about "Selective Service" - I'd never heard about this until this week! So, I was supposed to sign up for this before I turned 26, despite the fact that it was never mentioned on the numerous visits to the INS in San Antonio, TX, or on any other Federal business that I was involved in.

I've visited the Selective Service web-site, and down loaded their "Status Information Letter" as apparently this is what I need to complete - but what consequences does this have on gaining US Citizenship if I didn't apply in the 6 months prior to turning 26?

What is your official INS status when come over on a K1, then file your I-485? Am I as well forgetting the US Citizenship, in fear of being deported!!!

.......I appreciate your feedback.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:40 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

It looks like you need to talk to the people in the San Antonio INS(sorry BCIS) office. It is they, not selective service, who will determine your eligibility for citizenship with the failure to register. MEN CANNOT REGISTER AFTER REACHING AGE 26 (selective service page)

On an slightly unrelated note, how is the San Antonio office to deal with? That is who my fiance will have to go through for AOS once we get through this I-129F eternity, so I am just curious.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:57 am
DSL
Just Joined

Originally posted by bubbadog
It looks like you need to talk to the people in the San Antonio INS(sorry BCIS) office. It is they, not selective service, who will determine your eligibility for citizenship with the failure to register. MEN CANNOT REGISTER AFTER REACHING AGE 26 (selective service page)

On an slightly unrelated note, how is the San Antonio office to deal with? That is who my fiance will have to go through for AOS once we get through this I-129F eternity, so I am just curious.
I lived in Austin when I first came over to the US - I spent possibly 3 of the longest days in the INS in SA. The line was 400 meters out of the door when I arrived at openning time. I guess they were OK - No real issues, except lost paperwork, contridictions in next steps, etc. Then I moved to Orlando with work, and seemed to get things taken care of then. If you are just going for general questions, take a good, long book!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:39 pm
DSL
Just Joined

Default Re: Selective Service ???

Originally posted by DSL
Hey Folks - I need help!

I came over to America on a K1 Visa in January 96, got married in February 96, and turned 26 in June 96. I filed my I-485 that March and it was granted in the following September. My I-751 was approved in July 98.

I have a kid on the way, and thought it was time to apply for US Citizenship. Looking through the documentation requirements, it starts talking about "Selective Service" - I'd never heard about this until this week! So, I was supposed to sign up for this before I turned 26, despite the fact that it was never mentioned on the numerous visits to the INS in San Antonio, TX, or on any other Federal business that I was involved in.

I've visited the Selective Service web-site, and down loaded their "Status Information Letter" as apparently this is what I need to complete - but what consequences does this have on gaining US Citizenship if I didn't apply in the 6 months prior to turning 26?

What is your official INS status when come over on a K1, then file your I-485? Am I as well forgetting the US Citizenship, in fear of being deported!!!

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure about TX but here in Virginia my husband filled out the SS forms at the DMV. In order to receive your drivers license you must sign an area of the form stating that if you are eligible for SS that you have registered. And if you hadn't registered they automatically do it for you.

So he's registered. I don't recall any BCIS office caring one bit if you do or don't, but if you plan on applying for naturalization they require that you registered if age appropriate.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone I am not sure who registered my husband, we received a post card saying he was registered.

Maybe when he got a drivers license?
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:31 pm
DSL
Just Joined

Originally posted by kjdrga
I am not sure about TX but here in Virginia my husband filled out the SS forms at the DMV. In order to receive your drivers license you must sign an area of the form stating that if you are eligible for SS that you have registered. And if you hadn't registered they automatically do it for you.

So he's registered. I don't recall any BCIS office caring one bit if you do or don't, but if you plan on applying for naturalization they require that you registered if age appropriate.

I don't think that they did that in Texas, as I have entered my details at the Selective Service web site, and it indicates that I have never been registered. I kinda wish they did!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selective Service ???

Originally posted by DSL
Hey Folks - I need help!

I came over to America on a K1 Visa in January 96, got married in February 96, and turned 26 in June 96.
Hi:

Failure to register for selective service is NOT a "removable" offense. What it does affect is the showing of "good moral character." As a general rule, you have to show GMC for 5 years [sometimes 3] before filing of the N-400.

Since you can NOT register after turing age 26, for those of you who got green cards before your 26th birthday, that birthday will start the GMC clock running.

In your case, you are just fine -- check the math.