Seeing if We have a chance

Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeing if We have a chance

Originally Posted by Alanbmx
would be better to have an employer but also going to look at options if I was making a living regardless of where I was living , I wonder what options that would give me because that could also be achieved.
You cannot work at all in the US without employment authorisation - even remotely for an employer based elsewhere in the world and even if paid elsewhere. So you'd still need a visa to do what you are proposing.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The cost of living in California is much higher than you might realize and there is a fairly substantial drift of native-born Americans out of California, apparently for that reason.

Aside for the cost of living (with the cost of housing being an obvious example of an expense that you would have no experience of as a visitor), the mere mundanity of everyday life in another country is something to think about, combined with the fact that you would likely have less holiday time in the US, with only 10-15 days plus six bank holidays being very common for non-managerial occupations. In short, you may be better off enjoying cheap transatlantic air travel and extra holiday days working in the UK, and spending your holidays as a visitor to the US.
It sounds harsh, but really this. If I had the kind of jobs that the OP and their spouse have, I would not consider emigrating to live in California. It's just so darned expensive to live here, and you're likely to be scraping by absent a high tech - or equivalent - salary. And, more generally in the US, you have the health insurance issue to deal with.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 18th 2020 at 5:15 am.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Alanbmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You cannot work at all in the US without employment authorisation - even remotely for an employer based elsewhere in the world and even if paid elsewhere. So you'd still need a visa to do what you are proposing.
I have read about that a little so was thinking that’s but maybe visa would be easier if I was already proving I can earn money even as I enter the country
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have read about that a little so was thinking that’s but maybe visa would be easier if I was already proving I can earn money even as I enter the country
No, the opposite is true, if you already have the job and are performing it from outside the US, where is the imperative to give you a visa to live in the US?
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well certainly some categories imply that.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
So which visa do you believe you might qualify for?
sorry for late reply , busy close to the week hb1 visa im thinking , given my work experience in my field I think I would be of good value with the amount of years in my job , , and I believe my qualifications transfer over ( going to look into this Further )
Old Feb 21st 2020, 9:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for late reply , busy close to the week hb1 visa im thinking , given my work experience in my field I think I would be of good value with the amount of years in my job , , and I believe my qualifications transfer over ( going to look into this Further )
And the bad news is that the H-1B (I assume that's what you meant), has only a limited number of visas available annually. and is usually 3-4 times oversubscribed, so each year there is a lottery for applicants and therefore the chances of any one person being invited to apply is somewhere between 25% and 33%. Oh and applications are made in March but you can't start work until October, which is also going to discourage many employers.

So from an employer's perspective, there is only a 30% change of your job applicant getting a visa, and they can't start work for over six months! ..... And this is why you have been advised to get a job with an employer who may be willing to transfer you over because the L-1 visa for transfers is unlimited and applications can be at any time without having to succeed in a lottery.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2020 at 9:21 am.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 9:36 am
Just Joined

And the bad news is that the H-1B (I assume that's what you meant), has only a limited number of visas available annually. and is usually 3-4 times oversubscribed, so each year there is a lottery for applicants and therefore the chances of any one person being invited to apply is somewhere between 25% and 33%. Oh and applications are made in March but you can't start work until October, which is also going to discourage many employers.

So from an employer's perspective, there is only a 30% change of your job applicant getting a visa, and they can't start work for over six months! ..... And this is why you have been advised to get a job with an employer who may be willing to transfer you over because the L-1 visa for transfers is unlimited and applications can be at any time without having to succeed in a lottery.
and I suppose I would have to have a job ready and waiting for the visa to be granted?
Old Feb 21st 2020, 9:39 am

and I suppose I would have to have a job ready and waiting for the visa to be granted?
The employer applies for the visa, full stop. So "having a job waiting" is a requirement for any work visa.

There are very few visas that permit someone to apply for their own work visa, typically under a "national interest waiver", which means you have knowledge that is of strategic interest to the US, so usually some niche scientific knowledge.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 9:48 am
Just Joined

The employer applies for the visa, full stop. So "having a job waiting" is a requirement for any work visa.

There are very few visas that permit someone to apply for their own work visa, typically under a "national interest waiver", which means you have knowledge that is of strategic interest to the US, so usually some niche scientific knowledge.
ah I see , so yes I would have to be outstanding for an employer to go to that length for the job , not impossible but very unlikely, I see , thanks for all the information, I’m surprised on the amount of reply’s , take it everyone on here has been on this journey?
Old Feb 21st 2020, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

ah I see , so yes I would have to be outstanding for an employer to go to that length for the job , not impossible but very unlikely, I see , thanks for all the information, I’m surprised on the amount of reply’s , take it everyone on here has been on this journey?
I dare say the majority of us came to be in the USA via a family connection to a US citizen.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone.... some came based on spouse/relative based visas, others via job transfers with their current companies, and others with offers of new jobs in new companies.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

so your wife is quite happy not to work the whole time you are here )assuming you are even selected from the lottery of applicants)? Does your line of work usually pay enough to support a family on your wage alone? I think you mentioned California, the most expensive state to live in....
Old Feb 21st 2020, 12:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not that simple, many H1b’s are really used to transfer lower cost employees over from other countries. They want to come so take a lower wage and are tied in as it’s harder to move while on a visa.

There are also visas for outstanding employees like the O and also ones for unskilled labor like the H2b - take a read through them all: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ategories.html
Old Feb 21st 2020, 4:46 pm

I would guess about 50:50 work v family visas. And of the work visas I would guess about 70% on L1, about 10% on H-1B, about 10% on uncapped H-1B for research/ education, and the rest on something else EB-2/EB-3, O-1, J-1, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.