Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Request for info on USC petitioning Mother to US

Request for info on USC petitioning Mother to US

Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

sherlock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Request for info on USC petitioning Mother to US

We're not really sure whether to list my mother-in-law's marital status as widowed or single. According to the instructions for the I-130, the only documentation required to bring over a mother is a copy of the petitioner's birth certificate listing the beneficiary as the mother. There are more stringent requirements for a father.

Is there anyplace else in the process where her mother may be required to present a marriage certificate or death certificate for my wife's father? He died many years ago, but just want to cover all the bases. Want to make sure we don't get denied on a preventable detail. Issue is that we don't have a marriage certificate, although we do have a death certificate.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Request for info on USC petitioning Mother to US

If the mother is widowed and there is a category to mark that says widowed then that is what you mark. This is what she is. Is it very difficult to obtain a DC?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Issue is the marriage certificate, impossible due to a fire that wiped out the records in the late 50s. MILs copy was lost years ago.

Date of marriage is listed on the birth certificate, but not sure if that's sufficient. Also not sure if it even matters since only relevant relationship is my wife and her mother.

We have a DC.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's crazy, but it's better to have every doc you can get.

You've got the death cert from father, right? Can you get the marriage certificate? You can order copies; what country were they married in?
(it shouldn't be needed, I can't imagine why it would be)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

As I stated, it's not possible to get the marriage certificate as the records were lost in a fire.

I also can't see why they'd need it, as we should be concentrating on proving the relationship between my wife and her mother, and documents regarding the father are not needed to do that.

I'm just trying to cover all bases so we don't start the process and then find out it's an issue.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are going to get the same answer here as you did on the other board.

Keep it simple, tell the truth.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sherlock
As I stated, it's not possible to get the marriage certificate as the records were lost in a fire.

I also can't see why they'd need it, as we should be concentrating on proving the relationship between my wife and her mother, and documents regarding the father are not needed to do that.

I'm just trying to cover all bases so we don't start the process and then find out it's an issue.
Hi:

If it is needed and the document is lost, simply follow the procedures for presenting alternative evidence.