Renewing tourist visa

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:27 am
Just Joined

shumpage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing tourist visa

Hi,
My boyfriend (who is a UK citizen) will be coming to visit in the US. I'm guessing he'll be given a 90 day tourist visa upon entry, but I'm wondering what he'll need to do to stay any longer. If after the end of the 90 day visa period he left for a trip to Canada, then came back to the US, would he be given another 90 days upon re-entry to the US? Does this depend on how long he spends in Canada?
Thanks a lot for any help!
Shumpage
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renewing tourist visa

Originally Posted by shumpage
Hi,
My boyfriend (who is a UK citizen) will be coming to visit in the US. I'm guessing he'll be given a 90 day tourist visa upon entry, but I'm wondering what he'll need to do to stay any longer. If after the end of the 90 day visa period he left for a trip to Canada, then came back to the US, would he be given another 90 days upon re-entry to the US? Does this depend on how long he spends in Canada?
Shumpage
Hi

He cannot stay longer than 90 days. If he tries to re-enter the USA after a couple of weeks the immigration officer could suspect he is intending to reside in the USA and may deny him entry.

It does not depend how long he stays in Canada or any other country. The final decision to allow entry into the US rests with the IO at the port of entry

Might be a different story if you married, but would not recommend that route. Should you wish to marry in the future he should apply for a fiance visa and if approved he would have to marry you within 90 days of approval
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Hi,
Shumpage
Oh, sorry forgot to mention there is not a tourist visa for 90 days per se I think you mean he will visit on the visa waiver program

There is a B visa which can allow entry up to 180 days but again, the amount of time given for entry is up to the IO at the port of entry
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scatty
Hi

He cannot stay longer than 90 days. If he tries to re-enter the USA after a couple of weeks the immigration officer could suspect he is intending to reside in the USA and may deny him entry.

It does not depend how long he stays in Canada or any other country. The final decision to allow entry into the US rests with the IO at the port of entry

Might be a different story if you married, but would not recommend that route. Should you wish to marry in the future he should apply for a fiance visa and if approved he would have to marry you within 90 days of approval
That is not precisely correct - from the date of K-1 visa approal, he has six months to enter the U.S. Then, he must marry within 90 days of ARRIVAL.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When he has come to the US in the past on a short visit, he has been given 90 days under the visa waiver program. It sounds like it might be a better idea for him to apply for a 180 day visa ahead of time (B-2?). Does anyone know if that is difficult or time-consuming? Or what it's called?
Thanks again!
Sarah
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When he has come to the US in the past on a short visit, he has been given 90 days under the visa waiver program. It sounds like it might be a better idea for him to apply for a 180 day visa ahead of time (B-2?). Does anyone know if that is difficult or time-consuming? Or what it's called?
Thanks again!
Sarah
It is not terribly likely to be granted, from a visa waiver country. They wonder why you won't just use the visa waiver, and why you need to stay so long.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!
Sarah
I know it *sounds* like a good idea for him to apply for a B visa, buuuuut....

What is his reason for needing more than 90 days for a VISIT?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

It's because we would like to be in the same place, but don't want to get married yet. It might take us longer than 90 days to decide if we want to get married, or to decide what type of longer term visa he might be able to come here on. I wish they offered a "courtship" visa!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's because we would like to be in the same place, but don't want to get married yet. It might take us longer than 90 days to decide if we want to get married, or to decide what type of longer term visa he might be able to come here on. I wish they offered a "courtship" visa!
ha ha.. you and everyone else.

Unfortunately, there is no 'boyfriend' visa (we've discussed the need before!).

This reason also is not a recipe for a successful B visa application (you can search this group for the many denials).
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!
Sarah
Is he minted, is he retired? Someone young, without work and strong ties from a country that is allowed the VWP is unlikely to get the B1/2 visa and then would be in a position of having a visa denial, so secondary questioning when trying to use the VWP in the future.

Why don't you go to the UK for a bit?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

That's a good point - I think he would be denied a B visa because he's 36, and doesn't have a job or property in the UK. We were living together for a few years in Guatemala (this is why he doesn't have ties now in England). Then I came back to the US to go to grad school, and he went back to England. I can't really leave since I'm in school, but he's more mobile. So we're brainstorming ways for him to come here - without him having a visa denied so we don't complicate things in the future if/when we apply for a longer term visa for him.

I suppose what we might do is have him come on the 90 days VWP, and try to figure out if he can come back on a student visa (but that wouldn't be until next fall), if we want to do a fiance visa once the 90 days are up, or if we can find an employer/sponsor.

That's the only way I can think to do it.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts,
Sarah
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:30 pm

That's a good point - I think he would be denied a B visa because he's 36, and doesn't have a job or property in the UK. We were living together for a few years in Guatemala (this is why he doesn't have ties now in England). Then I came back to the US to go to grad school, and he went back to England. I can't really leave since I'm in school, but he's more mobile. So we're brainstorming ways for him to come here - without him having a visa denied so we don't complicate things in the future if/when we apply for a longer term visa for him.

I suppose what we might do is have him come on the 90 days VWP, and try to figure out if he can come back on a student visa (but that wouldn't be until next fall), if we want to do a fiance visa once the 90 days are up, or if we can find an employer/sponsor.

Sarah
Sarah, sweetie...

You have already had your courtship! You lived together for a few years in Guate (where at, btw.. love it there!)

There comes a time, and now might be yours, when you just have to decide to take the leap of faith. I was 38 when I finally did.

I don't know why you would want to monkey around with international tuition and all the rest of the blah blah. Read the Pulaski's Ways article in the wiki and you can see what options might be available for him, but it sounds to me like it is time to, er, that's a sort of crass comparison I was going to use.
Think Nike. Just Do It.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Sarah, sweetie... ........Think Nike. Just Do It.
But maybe............ if she has to think this hard...

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
just get married, you can always divorce him later

but seriously, read the wiki at the top, because a work visa is tough and unless he's in demand and top of the game of his field wouldn't stand much chance...if he works at a place that has US operations and after a year they were willing to transfer him that's a good option. I wouldn't hold out much hope for an H1B. I wouldn't hold out much hope on a J1 being 36. Being a student is expensive.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

sheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nice

Hello, when I went to America (i'm UK citizen) for 90 days under the VWP I was questioned as to why I was here and got interroaged because they thought I was getting married on that trip. The IO said that I cannot enter the US for 90 days after I leave. Dunno if that helps you decide at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.