Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal Of Conditions (when to apply for Citizenship?)

Removal Of Conditions (when to apply for Citizenship?)

Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:20 pm
Soft

Default Removal Of Conditions (when to apply for Citizenship?)

Yesterday we went to St. Louis INS to get Davids new green card started. There was no
one waiting in the office when we arrived, much to our surprise...we were done in 5
minutes. They stamped his passport, finger printed him again, and gave us a copy of
the approval letter to keep.

The St. Louis office is splitting the office in to 2 separate rooms, each will handle
different things in an effort to have less waiting time.

I also wanted to note that I was surprised that the approval notice for removal of
conditions was just a regular typed letter. Not at all like the approval notices we
had gotten prior.

Now my question is when to apply for citizenship? Thanks

Karryl

Old Jul 16th 2002, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal Of Conditions (when to apply for Citizenship?)

He is eligible to apply for naturalization 90 days before the third anniversary of his becoming a permanent resident (conditional or otherwise) based on marriage to a USC. He must have celebrated his third wedding anniversary prior to his time of filing as well.

Rete
Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:20 pm
Andy Platt

You may already be eligible. The rules are that you are eligible three years from the
date you became a permanent resident (and have been married to a US citizen for those
three years) - and you can apply 90 days prior to that date. (There are also rules on
how long you can have been outside the US, etc.; check up the exact requirements on
the INS website).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "soft"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > Yesterday we went to St. Louis INS to get Davids new green card started. There was
    > no one waiting in the office when we arrived, much to our surprise...we were done
    > in 5 minutes. They stamped his passport, finger printed him again, and gave us a
    > copy of the approval letter to keep.
    >
    > The St. Louis office is splitting the office in to 2 separate rooms, each will
    > handle different things in an effort to have less waiting time.
    >
    > I also wanted to note that I was surprised that the approval notice for removal of
    > conditions was just a regular typed letter. Not at all like the approval notices we
    > had gotten prior.
    >
    > Now my question is when to apply for citizenship? Thanks
    >
    > Karryl

Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:20 pm
Ranjini

Congratulations!! When I was applying for citizenship (I haven't had my 10 year card
in the mail, even though it has been 6 months) I looked everywhere for a copy of the
approval letter and realised that they must have kept it. Anyway, the stamp in the
passport serves the same purpose. It was nice of them to give it to you. Would have
been an additional piece of evidence at natz. application time for me. The "guide to
naturalization" will give you all the details of how and when you can apply for
naturalization. There is a link on my webpage along with a lot of other useful links:
http://www.geocities.com/ranjini_m/naturalization.html Good luck, Ranjini

"soft" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > Yesterday we went to St. Louis INS to get Davids new green card started. There was
    > no one waiting in the office when we arrived, much to our surprise...we were done
    > in 5 minutes. They stamped his passport, finger printed him again, and gave us a
    >
    > The St. Louis office is splitting the office in to 2 separate rooms, each will
    >
    > I also wanted to note that I was surprised that the approval notice for removal of
    > conditions was just a regular typed letter. Not at all like the approval notices we
    > had gotten prior.
    >
    > Now my question is when to apply for citizenship? Thanks
    >
    > Karryl

Old Jul 16th 2002, 9:20 pm
Soft

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:04:53 GMT, "Ranjini" <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks everyone. We celebrate our 3rd year of marriage in Nov 20th, so that makes the
end of Jan 2003 when we will be sending the things for Citizenship. He got his green
card approved May 2 2000. Plenty of time to get to reading up on this next step.

Again I want to thank everyone for the support and advice. Karryl

>Congratulations!! When I was applying for citizenship (I haven't had my 10 year card
    >in the mail, even though it has been 6 months) I looked everywhere for a copy of the
    >approval letter and realised that they must have kept it. Anyway, the stamp in the
    >passport serves the same purpose. It was nice of them to give it to you. Would have
    >been an additional piece of evidence at natz. application time for me. The "guide to
    >naturalization" will give you all the details of how and when you can apply for
    >naturalization. There is a link on my webpage along with a lot of other useful
    >links: http://www.geocities.com/ranjini_m/naturalization.html Good luck, Ranjini
    >
    >"soft" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>
    >> Yesterday we went to St. Louis INS to get Davids new green card started. There was
    >> no one waiting in the office when we arrived, much to our surprise...we were done
    >> in 5 minutes. They stamped his passport, finger printed him again, and gave us a
    >> copy of the approval letter to keep.
    >>
    >> The St. Louis office is splitting the office in to 2 separate rooms, each will
    >> handle different things in an effort to have less waiting time.
    >>
    >> I also wanted to note that I was surprised that the approval notice for removal of
    >> conditions was just a regular typed letter. Not at all like the approval notices
    >> we had gotten prior.
    >>
    >> Now my question is when to apply for citizenship? Thanks
    >>
    >> Karryl

Old Jul 16th 2002, 11:20 pm
Lynn A.

"soft" <[email protected]> wrote

Congratulations to you and David!! I was just wondering where you were in the
process. Thanks for posting this, we're going to be doing the exact same thing
real soon.

Oh lovely, so it'll be even *smaller* in there? Ack.

> had gotten prior.

I wondered the same thing, certainly doesn't look as "important" as the
others, does it?

> Now my question is when to apply for citizenship?

Three months before the third anniversary of being a conditional permenent
resident. That makes January for us. (But I'm already collecting the forms and
paperwork!)

Lynn

Old Jul 17th 2002, 3:20 pm
Soft

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:35:00 -0500, "Lynn A." <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >> The St. Louis office is splitting the office in to 2 separate rooms, each will
    >> handle different things in an effort to have less waiting time.
    >
    > Oh lovely, so it'll be even *smaller* in there? Ack.

They aren't splitting the office they are now in into two. They are moving 1/2 the
office work to another room in the building. Each room will handle different things.
FYI: The nice INS lady said Monday is the day they are the quietest. She said
Tuesdays and Thursdays its packed out into the hall.
    >
    >> I also wanted to note that I was surprised that the approval notice for removal of
    >> conditions was just a regular typed letter. Not at all like the approval notices
    >> we had gotten prior.
    >
    > I wondered the same thing, certainly doesn't look as "important" as the others,
    > does it?
    >
I thought it looked rather easy to make a fake, although I am sure that would be a
really bad idea.
    >
    > Three months before the third anniversary of being a conditional permenent
    > resident. That makes January for us. (But I'm already collecting the forms and
    > paperwork!)

Me too. And he has his book to study
    >
    >Lynn
    >

Karryl