Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of Conditions - Do I have any options?

Removal of Conditions - Do I have any options?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Created is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to all
Exclamation Removal of Conditions - Do I have any options?

This is my horror story....

Final day for filing is 11/20/2009.
  • I was fired from my $56,000 job, that was the main income & supplied health benefits in August - He works, but his income is unpredictable.
  • My husband refuses to remove conditions until I find another job. His view is that - I got myself fired and whatever happens to me is my own doing; and that I am selfish for bringing down his style of living and wrecking the family finances.
  • I have been interviewing, but no offer yet. I also have a part-time job - earnings fluctuate between $180 and $300 - my only income that goes entirely on bills.
  • I have a daughter in performing arts school, who is tied to my visa.

He says if I try to file separately he will say we have a green card marriage.

Do I have any options if he refuses to file to remove conditions? Oh I forget to say that he shreded our passports some time ago! I never believed him. but they have not surfaced so I guess it's true.

Last edited by Created; Oct 29th 2009 at 5:13 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:14 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of Conditions - Do I have any options?

Originally Posted by Created
This is my horror story....

Final day for filing is 11/20/2009.
  • I was fired from my $56,000 job, that was the main income & supplied health benefits in August - He works, but his income is unpredictable.
  • My husband refuses to remove conditions until I find another job. His view is that - I got myself fired and whatever happens to me is my own doing; and that I am selfish for bringing down his style of living and wrecking the family finances.
  • I have been interviewing, but no offer yet. I also have a part-time job - earnings fluctuate between $180 and $300 - my only income that goes entirely on bills.
  • I have a daughter in performing arts school, who is tied to my visa.

Do I have any options if he refuses to file to remove conditions? Oh I forget to say that he shreded our passports some time ago! I never believed him. but they have not surfaced so I guess it's true.

YEP Divorce the Bastard..let him find another woman to control.

If you divorce him you can file a self petiton I-751 form.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
YEP Divorce the Bastard..let him find another woman to control.

If you divorce him you can file a self petiton I-751 form.
Entirely agree, but wouldn't the divorce need to be FINAL before being able to do that?

Seems unlikely in the month or so she has left between now and 11/20.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So let him.
I was just looking at your last thread and I can't believe you have stayed married to this man; this is not the typical way to treat a spouse.

The i-751 rules have changed. You do not have to stay married to him to remain in the US.
You have endured 4 years of this? A gun pulled on you, your passport destroyed?

Please, please find a women's shelter where you can get some resources for help.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

[*]My husband refuses to remove conditions until I find another job. His view is that - I got myself fired and whatever happens to me is my own doing; and that I am selfish for bringing down his style of living and wrecking the family finances.
From a safe distance, I would remind him of his I-864 sponsorship obligations, which involve supporting YOU.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I see the seeds of a waiver filing on the basis of abuse in her post.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Entirely agree, but wouldn't the divorce need to be FINAL before being able to do that?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:33 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/V...heet042208.pdf

I did it so can you, I was threatened with a gun and much more, get out NOW!!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

You have many options. Get in touch with Women's shelter organizations for advice and help.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Created is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to allCreated is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
So let him.
I was just looking at your last thread and I can't believe you have stayed married to this man; this is not the typical way to treat a spouse.

The i-751 rules have changed. You do not have to stay married to him to remain in the US.
You have endured 4 years of this? A gun pulled on you, your passport destroyed?

Please, please find a women's shelter where you can get some resources for help.
I know I'm in a really bad place right now - I do not have the money to file, although I know I will have it if I get away from him. I cannot believe that I've allowed myself to be reduced to this. He told my daughter,14 yr old softmore (doing extremely well at performin arts school) that she and I will have to go back to the UK. She rang me from school last week in tears.

He finds it highly amusing and is constantly calling me after he leaves for work to find out what I've come up with for employment.

I know I an smarter than this. Thank you for stating the obvious. I will confide in my church and the small group of friends that I thrust to help me get through this.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:12 pm

I know I'm in a really bad place right now - I do not have the money to file, although I know I will have it if I get away from him. I cannot believe that I've allowed myself to be reduced to this. He told my daughter,14 yr old softmore (doing extremely well at performin arts school) that she and I will have to go back to the UK. She rang me from school last week in tears.

He finds it highly amusing and is constantly calling me after he leaves for work to find out what I've come up with for employment.

I know I an smarter than this. Thank you for stating the obvious. I will confide in my church and the small group of friends that I thrust to help me get through this.
Please keep im touch and let us know how your are doing!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You have many options. Get in touch with Women's shelter organizations for advice and help.
Thank you so much........I procrastinated posting here for so long - I guess even though I know that I was created for better than this.......the old abused woman syndrome keeps me from thinking clearly, and I can't believe that I've actully listened to the lies he's fed me.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much........I procrastinated posting here for so long - I guess even though I know that I was created for better than this.......the old abused woman syndrome keeps me from thinking clearly, and I can't believe that I've actully listened to the lies he's fed me.
Created, you come back any time you want to check out the things you've been told. If you're having trouble finding resources, or need some courage, come post here.
Don't wait another two years; we pixel people are always here with some support and encouragement.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:51 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

FWIW, you do NOT have to be divorced in order to file to remove conditions.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2009,0924-lee.shtm
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TracyTN
FWIW, you do NOT have to be divorced in order to file to remove conditions.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2009,0924-lee.shtm
oops, my bad

Good to hear
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:01 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hobbes79
oops, my bad

Good to hear
No worries! This was a pretty recent change so...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.