Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

Originally Posted by alfista1
I'm in the same situation but with a son also.

I'd like to know if she can change B-2 to L1 after entry into the USA.
Why go through all that trouble having the stressful B-2 cohabitating partner visa interview, having to bring all that proof of cohabitation, if she's just going to get married and change status in the USA?

Just get married now and get the L-2 from the start, far more easy and way less stressful.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
I'd like to know if she can change B-2 to L1 after entry into the USA.
Are you asking whether or not it's okay for her to lie to US immigration in order to get a visa? No, it's not okay! From what you've posted elsewhere, she is not intending to simply visit the US on holiday and then leave... so she'd need to lie to get the B-2!

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
she is not intending to simply visit the US on holiday and then leave... so she'd need to lie to get the B-2!

Ian
What if said B-2 is of the cohabiting status?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
What if said B-2 is of the cohabiting status?
In other situations, a B-2 cohabiting visa might work... but not, I think, in this situation. The principal gets an L-1 visa, dependent child gets an L-2 visa, and the partner wants a B-2 cohabiting visa? If the intent is to change status from a B-2 to an L-2 as written (although alfista1 incorrectly wrote L-1), then even the B-2 cohabiting visa is not appropriate. Having now stated the intent, alfista1 can not now deny that the real intent is to lie to US immigration to receive an inappropriate visa based on the future intent to change status.

Then again, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other what he does!

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In other situations, a B-2 cohabiting visa might work... but not, I think, in this situation. The principal gets an L-1 visa, dependent child gets an L-2 visa, and the partner wants a B-2 cohabiting visa? If the intent is to change status from a B-2 to an L-2 as written (although alfista1 incorrectly wrote L-1), then even the B-2 cohabiting visa is not appropriate. Having now stated the intent, alfista1 can not now deny that the real intent is to lie to US immigration to receive an inappropriate visa based on the future intent to change status.

Then again, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other what he does!

Ian
Ian you're way off mate and misunderstanding my question totally. Where does lying come into it?

B-2 now, as we are not married, to come with us to USA.
Once we are married she needs to change that to L-2 to start working.
Clear as crystal.

Question is: Can she change a B-2 to L-2 while in USA? (after we get married just to make it clear for anyone who misunderstands again).
Old Oct 20th 2012, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is getting the B2 in the first place, less likely if you say your true purpose is to change status to L2.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think it is getting the B2 in the first place, less likely if you say your true purpose is to change status to L2.
Thks David. So I understand its not easy to get the B2.
Easier to arrange an earlier marriage and wait to get the L2.