Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

waltr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

Hi all,

I'm new to this Forum. Was wondering if you could help, I have been asked to relocate to New York on an L1 Visa. I want to move there with my girlfriend of 10 months who I am currently living with. Would she be allowed to work there? If so, what visa would she need to apply for/ are there any limitations?

I have already done some research and seen that the L2 is not valid in this situation. Also, since we are living together, we could possibly apply for a B2 visa however I have heard that she would not be able to work.

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation: L1 Visa - can my girlfriend get a working Visa as well?

L2 if you get married and she can work otherwise B2 co-habit visa and correct she can not work. Alternative she will have to get work visa of her own and depending on her qualifications may be hard
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
L2 if you get married and she can work otherwise B2 co-habit visa and correct she can not work. Alternative she will have to get work visa of her own and depending on her qualifications may be hard
Thanks for your prompt response! This is very helpful.

Additionally, she holds a British Passport but she is an Australian citizen. Are you aware if that opens up any more options?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waltr
Additionally, she holds a British Passport but she is an Australian citizen. Are you aware if that opens up any more options?
Being an Australian citizen opens up an additional work related visa that she could consider - E3

Take a look at this for a run down of options for your girlfriend to look at getting her own visa.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebs
Being an Australian citizen opens up an additional work related visa that she could consider - E3

Take a look at this for a run down of options for your girlfriend to look at getting her own visa.
Great thanks Rebs for this, this is very helpful. I've forwarded on the link to my girlfriend so hopefully this will give us a better idea.

If anyone else has any additional suggestions or has gone through a similar scenario as well, please share your thoughts.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have the options, what more are you looking for?

Have you discussed this with the Lawyer handling your case?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone else has any additional suggestions...
There can't be any additional suggestions. There are only 5 choices:

1. Marry and get her an L-2 (easiest solution)
2. Don't marry and have her get a cohabitating B-2 visa (she can't work in the USA)
3. Have her apply for a separate visa based on her own merits (difficult if she doesn't qualify)
4. Live apart for the duration of your L-1 stay, and just have her come visit now and then on the VWP.
5. Don't accept the L-1 assignment.

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

2. Don't marry and have her get a cohabitating B-2 visa (she can't work in the USA)
3. Have her apply for a separate visa based on her own merits (difficult if she doesn't qualify)
4. Live apart for the duration of your L-1 stay, and just have her come visit now and then on the VWP.

Rene
6. New girlfriend.

The options of getting into the US are very limited.

The other consideration here that hasn't been brought up, but what would she do for medical insurance because unless you're married, she's very unlikely to be able to get on your employer offered cover.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have the options, what more are you looking for?

Have you discussed this with the Lawyer handling your case?
That's a good point. It is still early days for now, I still need to be assigned a lawyer from my company and will definitely mention this. Also will be working with HR on the relocation package and benefits. In the interim, understanding what the situation will be for her is the key factor in the overall decision.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Thanks Rene for listing these options, this is very helpful and does put into prospective what my options are. It still surprises me how few options there are in the US compared with other countries though.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
6. New girlfriend.

The options of getting into the US are very limited.

The other consideration here that hasn't been brought up, but what would she do for medical insurance because unless you're married, she's very unlikely to be able to get on your employer offered cover.
Another good point (referring to your medical insurance comment not your option number 6! ), that hadn't even crossed my mind yet. I would need to look into this as well
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point. It is still early days for now, I still need to be assigned a lawyer from my company and will definitely mention this. Also will be working with HR on the relocation package and benefits. In the interim, understanding what the situation will be for her is the key factor in the overall decision.
Keep doing your own research, even after speaking to the company lawyer. I've seen on this forum where a corporate lawyer has told someone in your situation that they will help with the visa for your girlfriend. But in reality, if she's coming on a B-2 (cohabitating or visitor), there is nothing the company can do from their end. SHE needs to apply for that visa, on her own.

The only visa the company can help her with is an L-2, if you are married.

Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Nik G will become famous soon enoughNik G will become famous soon enough

We were in almost the same situation, however we were engaged. So we made the company hold off on the paperwork until we had got married (by bringing it significantly forward).

So i would recommend you sit down and work out if you are planning on getting married or not. If she is willing to uproot and move to the US for your job she must be reasonably interested.

On the upside divorce is really easy these days.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

It's also possible for her to get a B-2 visa as a cohabitating partner for now, and later on after you marry she can change over to an L-2 so she'll be able to work.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
It's also possible for her to get a B-2 visa as a cohabitating partner for now, and later on after you marry she can change over to an L-2 so she'll be able to work.
I'm in the same situation but with a son also.

I'd like to know if she can change B-2 to L1 after entry into the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.