Refused for VWP entry

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

lalah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Refused for VWP entry

I was recently refused entry on the VWP and deported from the US when they found out that I had overstayed previously. They have written the following on my passport: 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) + (9)(B)(i)

They said I could apply for another visa from the embassy and that I just won't be allowed in again on the VWP. I am also only a few months away from receiving a permanent immigration number as a member of my family had sponsored me many years ago and this application is near to completion.

I read in another post that having 212(a) on your passport means that you will never again be accepted for a visa. Does anyone know if they were lying to me? I know they lied when they said they were sending me to a nice comfy bed for the night while waiting for my flight home and they actually shackled me and imprisoned me for the night!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:01 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refused for VWP entry

Originally Posted by lalah
I was recently refused entry on the VWP and deported from the US when they found out that I had overstayed previously. They have written the following on my passport: 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) + (9)(B)(i)

They said I could apply for another visa from the embassy and that I just won't be allowed in again on the VWP. I am also only a few months away from receiving a permanent immigration number as a member of my family had sponsored me many years ago and this application is near to completion.

I read in another post that having 212(a) on your passport means that you will never again be accepted for a visa. Does anyone know if they were lying to me? I know they lied when they said they were sending me to a nice comfy bed for the night while waiting for my flight home and they actually shackled me and imprisoned me for the night!
Well I do know that if you over stay on the VWP and try and return then this is what happens! having said that I have heard of other folk that have been aload back in on another Visa actually a friend of mine was deported 6 years ago and she married an American and was let back in.
I have no idea if this will affect the permanent residence status for you but I don't think it will do you any favours.
I am sure others will be able to help out more.

Oh how long did you overstay for?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:06 am
Just Joined

7 months
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:14 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

7 months
Yep thats a definate ban I cannot recall how long for but its a few years and you can never get another one VWP again to my knowledge.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

7 months
3 year ban...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:18 am
Joe Feise

lalah wrote on 09/02/07 16:47:

> I was recently refused entry on the VWP and deported from the US when
> they found out that I had overstayed previously. They have written the
> following on my passport: 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) + (9)(B)(i)

These are sections of the Immigration law.
INA 212(a)(7) deals with documentation requirements.
INA 212(a)(9), however, is way more serious. And I think you are not telling the
whole story...
INA 212(a)(9)(B) is about people who overstayed for more than 180 days.
If you overstayed for over 180 days, but less than a year, you are banned from
entry for 3 years.
If you overstayed for a year or more, you are banned for 10 years.
You can't even get an immigrant visa during this time.

-Joe
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They have written the following on my passport: 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) + (9)(B)(i)
The (9)(B)(i) is a notation indicating that you *have* accumulated time towards a 3-year ban from the US. It's possible, even if you get a visa number through your family member, that you will not be allowed to use it until you have fulfilled the 3-year ban. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you screw around with US immigration law. I suggest you contact an immigration attorney... you really do need one!

I know they lied when they said they were sending me to a nice comfy bed for the night while waiting for my flight home and they actually shackled me and imprisoned me for the night!
Well, if they told you that you were going to jail, you might have put up a fight. It seems they took the path of least resistance.

Ian
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joe Feise
INA 212(a)(9), however, is way more serious. And I think you are not telling the
whole story...
Not sure what you mean here about the whole story.

On further searching ..

212(a)(9)(i)(I) is a 3 year ban and 212(a)(9)(i)(II) is a 10 year ban, but I only got 212(a)(9)(i) with neither (I) or (II) on the end. 212(a)(9)(i) apparently means generally being unlawfully present. The officer told my sister on the phone that I would get a waiver from a ban. I'm not sure if she was lying to us or not but I expect an immigration lawyer would be able to clarify.

Last edited by lalah; Sep 3rd 2007 at 1:56 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:53 am
Sapphyre

On Sep 2, 8:51 pm, Elvira <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 7 months
>
> 3 year ban...

The important question now, is when did the OP leave the US? That's
when the three year bar starts from, not the date she attempts to re-
use the VWP after an overstay and bar.

If she overstayed 2 1/2 years ago, she could possibly be eligible to
immigrate when her visa number becomes available. If she left last
month then tried to return a week later, tsk tsk.

S.

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:36 am
Joe Feise

lalah wrote on 09/02/07 18:53:

>> lalah wrote on 09/02/07 16:47:
>>
>>> I was recently refused entry on the VWP and deported from the US
>>> when
>>> they found out that I had overstayed previously. They have written
>>> the
>>> following on my passport: 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) + (9)(B)(i)
>>
>> These are sections of the Immigration law.
>> INA 212(a)(7) deals with documentation requirements.
>> INA 212(a)(9), however, is way more serious. And I think you are not
>> telling the
>> whole story...
>> INA 212(a)(9)(B) is about people who overstayed for more than 180
>> days.
>> If you overstayed for over 180 days, but less than a year, you are
>> banned from
>> entry for 3 years.
>> If you overstayed for a year or more, you are banned for 10 years.
>> You can't even get an immigrant visa during this time.
>>
>> -Joe
>> --
>> I am not a lawyer.
>> For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.
>
> Not sure what you mean here about the whole story.

How long you overstayed.

> On further searching ..

Forget it. You already said 7 months in another post, and that's a 3 year ban.
No waiver. Period. End of story.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.