Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Received GC - Changing JOB.. Need Advice

Wikiposts

Received GC - Changing JOB.. Need Advice

Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

ADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really nice
Question Received GC - Changing JOB.. Need Advice

Folks

Background : I applied for my GC in EB1C on Jan 12th.. Got the Physical CARD on 17th March. Its 6 days since I have my GC with me. My son also has the card with him.
My WIFE did not get her GC (She is pregnant and could not take live virus vaccines , so there is an RFE). She is due in August 1st week and will not be getting GC till end of August (I am guessing this based on data available from different forums)

Next Steps Planned : I am vigorously searching for a job change (8 years with current employer). And may land a few offers in next 1 or 2 weeks.

Questions
1. Can I do a job switch now?
2. Is there any limitation on my GC (6 months of moratorium etc etc)
3. If i switch my job and go another employer, will it affect my Wife's GC process in anyway?
4. Will my current employer be able to revoke mine or my wife's GC or any other immigration privilege?

I have great relationship with my current employers and I will most probably be exiting on good terms, but this world is full of uncertainties.

Please help here!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

ADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really niceADA_AKS is just really nice
Default Re: Received GC - Changing JOB.. Need Advice

Any takers for this Q?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:12 am
Just Joined

BWexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ADA_AKS
Any takers for this Q?
I am *NOT* a lawyer and your situation depends on your wife's application.. if she was applying under an H2 (I believe that's the spousal H1 equivalent) then yes she could be affected, you may have to reapply as the spouse of a green card holder.

Consult an immigration attorney before you leave your job.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

I dont think you understood my question.. I already have green card (no need of L1,H1 or EAD)
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I think they mean your wife would have to reapply as the spouse of a GC holder.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

I was on L1A.
Her GC is pending decision.. as she is pregnant.. and could not get the vaccines from the civil surgeon.

I understand that My wife's GC has nothing to do with my employment activities. So If i get laid off today, her I485, AOS process will still continue. So I believe she will get the GC when she is out of pregnancy and gets the necessary vaccines done.

Please clarify if its otherwise!

Why aren't any of the seniors or attorney's answering!!!
If this kind of Q has been asked in the past I am sorry, I will some pointers!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How long will the I-485 stay pending? August seems like a looooong time away, in terms of answering an RFE (which she got, yes?).
She's in a pseudo-status to remain in the US while the I-485 is pending.

Perhaps you should ask your lawyer about this.

And don't get agitated about answers; please be patient for when people are available & feel compelled to answer.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

I am very relaxed.. not agitated...
I am thankful to each and every individual who answers..I expect the same if answer somebody's query..so its fair that i thank others!

The RFE that was issued ..(which we will repond tomorrow) was for TD vaccination.. The USCIS said TD is safe to take while pregnant. So Civil surgeon said OK and gave TD shots. So we reply to RFE with the Civil surgeon report.
But the attorney says, they will most likely issue another RFE for the MMR vaccination and may give us time till August 1st week till after the delivery.
(My wife's due date is 9th August) .. Its strange that right after 4 weeks of pregnancy we had to the initial visit to Civil surgeon... So this may be the longest pending case for USCIS!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

More comments please!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:55 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

More comments please!
I like meat pies and gravy.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

hmm.....
Spotted dick..I say!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

More comments please!
Talk to your lawyer and trust what they tell you. If you don't trust them, find a new one.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:03 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

A green card based on employment is for future employment. Most lawyers advice that you stay with your employer for at least six months after getting your green card. However, there is no hard and fast rule. It's up to you to decide how important it is to have a clean record should this issue come up in the future. Your employer can't revoke your green card, only an immigration judge can.

This topic has been discussed countless times on other forums that deal primarily with employment based green cards - but people always keep on bringing it up in the hope that someone will tell them what they want to hear.

Last edited by dreamercon; Mar 25th 2010 at 1:08 am.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

hmm.....
Spotted dick..I say!
Yesterday, you wrote, "I am very relaxed.. not agitated...". I suggest that you are agitated... and you're also impatient.

Ian
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks

Now I see why most people may not respond. I saw lengthy discussion on this topic on Trackitt. Most people see these kinds of switch as fraud GC cases and people see risk of Citizenship denial. So not a lot of clarity with anybody including some attorneys.

I have been with the employer for 8 years and I am still satisfied ..
But after you being with the employer for 8 years, your financial gains may not be as much, if you switched to a larger role. And thats what I am trying to explore. (complex sentence..with grammatical errors!)

I am happy that I have few offers I can consider, But for the time being I will probably halt my job search. I may begin after August.

Thanks folks for all the inputs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.