Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re-entering the U.S after visa-waiver over-stay?

Re-entering the U.S after visa-waiver over-stay?

Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entering the U.S after visa-waiver over-stay?

Originally Posted by grunge
I know where he can work without needing a working permit :-)
he could just use a visa waiver to get here, then apply for a change.
Moving to the UK illegally would be daft thing to do, he gets caught and possibly deported will only make things more complicated in an already complicated situation.

Getting a spouse visa for the UK is only a matter of a few weeks by mail, or can be done at a consulate even quicker....showing that he would have potential for a job in th eUK would help with the financial requirement.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx

chip? shoulder? *confused*

You seem to see yourself as a victim.

Believe it or not, shit happens to most people. Compared to a lot of people who fall in love with foreign nationals you have an easy ride.

As for other things that life might throw at you...

Count your blessings. You have a husband who loves you, and you are going to have a child. You will be together inside a year. Focus on the prize and simply deal with what you have to go through to get it.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I know where he can work without needing a working permit :-)
he could just use a visa waiver to get here, then apply for a change.
Wonderful! After blotting your copybook with US immigration, you're now planning to blot your husband's with their counterpart in the UK!

By the way fatbrit me messing up by overstaying was completely out of my control as I was stuck in hawaii for a day over.

You can go to hell anyway, I don't need some-one sitting around bitching about me.
I'm glad I'm getting through. BTW, there are some relatively new and successful therapies for borderline personality disorder. Ask your GP about whether cognitive therapy is available in the UK.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Getting a spouse visa for the UK is only a matter of a few weeks by mail, or can be done at a consulate even quicker....showing that he would have potential for a job in th eUK would help with the financial requirement.
I'm not sure they're going to meet the financial requirements for the UK entry clearance. They certainly should for the US if he is already working.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much, that's really helpful, he's already emailed the american embassy for me to ask for advice.

We'll have to get an eterny if things don't get moving very quickly then.

Still hope! :-p
No, re-read Rete's reply. You contacting the US Embassy is NOT the same thing as him getting legal advice from a US immigration attorney on how to expedite a case for you.
The Embassy has nothing to talk to you about at this point, and it is not the place to get the kind of information you're after.

eterny = attorney, right?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm not sure they're going to meet the financial requirements for the UK entry clearance. They certainly should for the US if he is already working.
don't actually have to have funds, but show potential for getting a job that would, so if he had a job offer that would do...or if he had a degree, that would also do...
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
don't actually have to have funds, but show potential for getting a job that would, so if he had a job offer that would do...or if he had a degree, that would also do...
You just need to show you are not going to be a public burden.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be totally wrong, but I get the impression that although you live in the UK, you were not brought up there. I (again, maybe incorrectly) assume that maybe you may have relative/friends that live somewhere else other than the UK? Had you thought about going to them for a while? It is amazing how supportive family and friends can be in time of need, even though you may not have seen them for years. I would certainly not allow any of my friends to live in shelters, pregnant or not. Maybe you could talk to your GP, they may help guide you to the correct authorities, maybe you could be moved out of the shelter and into some council house? Or maybe be advised of some pre-natal support group?
I see the situation is slightly complicated, but surely there must be someone who can help? (other than your husband?). As far as I know (and I am not a doctor!), post natal depression does not necessarily happen twice, and I am surprised social services accepted your first baby if they though you had post natal depression, so I assume you must have been very young.
Sometimes at times like this you have to grow strong and wade through the difficult times, and it seems as if you will have happier times ahead..
(OK, I will stop before I sound like a psychologist!)
If I were you I would get your husband to get a very good immigration lawyer (as said before), and to tell him everything. Also maybe, seen as he has a good job, get him to send you some money so you can move out of the shelter??
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:52 pm
Some Guy

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:37:07 +0000, grunge
<member55804@british_expats.com> wrote:

>I might fly to canada and try get through the border somehow if all else
    >fails, lol.

You mean the same routines the A-Rabs used to gain entry in their
attack on the U.S of 9/11? Don't even consider that as being Canadian
with an American wife I can assure you with great experience that the
friendly people at C.I.C. are no where near as friendly as they once
were. Add in a friend who is a long haul trucker who crosses the
border three to four times a week, crossing into Canada is not at all
a pleasant experience. [He is Canadian]

Since his family ponied up the money to send you to Hawaii they could
have found a few bux more to file your paperwork. Tell your husband to
stay in college: a man with a good earning *potential* is far more
appealing than a common dropout.

Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mary and Some Guy

You have to learn to comprehensively read all the posts. She gave birth to her first child when she was 15. Yes, that is extremely young.

As for her in-laws they don't like her because she is a self-proclaimed atheist and have turned their son into a non-believer as well.

I'm far from a holy roller and steady churchgoer but I believe this young lady needs to explore the god within herself if she does not believe in the one outside herself.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I thought i'd be stronger this time but with everything going wrong within the last month or so i'm so terrified of falling into the pit black pit of post-natal depression again and being comepletely alone.
Insanity [noun] "Doing the same thing over and over again... while expecting a different result."

jesus loves you
For someone who claims to be an athiest, this is a pretty blasphemous thing to say.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:39 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

I've also heard that if the child is born there, we'll both (me and the baby) have some kind of automatic residence status?

That would be A LOT easier for the future with whatever we decide to do.
Just to give you an idea, at my daughters birth in the US, there were complications that resulted in my daughter spending 3 weeks in intensive care, and my wife staying a week, our hospital bill came in at $50,000.
Our insurance covered it all and we only payed $100 to rent a telly, without that I would be screwed.

Without complications it is around 10 grand, maybe a little less, but not much.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 4:40 am
Some Guy

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:11:10 +0000, Rete <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You have to learn to comprehensively read all the posts. She gave birth
    >to her first child when she was 15. Yes, that is extremely young.
    >As for her in-laws they don't like her because she is a self-proclaimed
    >atheist and have turned their son into a non-believer as well.

Interesting: there ae issues that go beyone the help of this group.

Old Sep 29th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Ask your GP about whether cognitive therapy is available in the UK.
yes, well should I say it is available where I work in west yorkshire
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

grunge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mary
I may be totally wrong, but I get the impression that although you live in the UK, you were not brought up there. I (again, maybe incorrectly) assume that maybe you may have relative/friends that live somewhere else other than the UK? Had you thought about going to them for a while? It is amazing how supportive family and friends can be in time of need, even though you may not have seen them for years. I would certainly not allow any of my friends to live in shelters, pregnant or not. Maybe you could talk to your GP, they may help guide you to the correct authorities, maybe you could be moved out of the shelter and into some council house? Or maybe be advised of some pre-natal support group?
I see the situation is slightly complicated, but surely there must be someone who can help? (other than your husband?). As far as I know (and I am not a doctor!), post natal depression does not necessarily happen twice, and I am surprised social services accepted your first baby if they though you had post natal depression, so I assume you must have been very young.
Sometimes at times like this you have to grow strong and wade through the difficult times, and it seems as if you will have happier times ahead..
(OK, I will stop before I sound like a psychologist!)
If I were you I would get your husband to get a very good immigration lawyer (as said before), and to tell him everything. Also maybe, seen as he has a good job, get him to send you some money so you can move out of the shelter??
I did grow up in the u.k but i'm living in a different area to my family mainly because of safety reasons from people I used to know.

I was very lucky to get a place in a shelter.
My husband has been really helpful and sent me money for foods that i've been craving and such :-p

Although I have friends in england none of them are in a situation to help housingwise and I wouldn't expect them to.

I'm not entitled to housing from the council which is the main issue right now (other than being apart from my husband), this is because I have no local connections.

The hostel isn't too bad I suppose, but I just feel so bad that a child has to come into this.

I get a maternity grant soon from the social security (welfare) i'll use this for a deposit on a bedsit if I can.
So at least i'll have a stable place to stay.

My husbands not prepared to leave me in this situation for the sake on a degree asap THANK GOD :-p (oh no i'm being 'blastphemus').

He's really doing all he can, if I can't go there, he's coming here.

In reply to the idiot who's been saying i'm selfish and now I wanna get my husband's passport blotched up.

He won't be illegal if he applys to stay whilst he's here.
The only risky thing is him working here un-officially.

I'm applying for a visa right now, i'll be interviewed in london and i'll tell them how urgent it is that i'm with my husband and how he can look after me :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.