Racing Driver

Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

the pampas bull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Racing Driver

Well, not yet, but in the near future

I'm starting racing here in the UK in 2009, but in 2011 I want to start racing with the Skip Barber Racing School (www.skipbarber.com). I'm looking to forge a career in the US since Mazda have a career ladder scholarship type program there. I can't afford to move up the ladder in Europe, as I'm from a non-racing, working class family, who don't want anything to do with my racing ambitions. Over here, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you haven't got the financial backing (and we're talking at least £400,000 a season for Formula 3), you're not gonna get anywhere, since there is no proven scholarship system.

I'm planning to move over to the US in 2011, however, I know from research that getting a US visa isn't easy. The closest example I could give to my situation is Rafael Matos, who moved to the US in 2002 and worked in a Go-Kart shop to fund his career. So obviously, it is possible. I'm confused however, at what category I would fall under for a Visa? I looked into the P1 category for sportsmen, but the term 'internationally recognised' seems to suggest that wouldn't include me.

Then there are the 'skilled worker' visas, which I'm presuming is what Matos must have entered on. It should be noted at this point that I am studying for a Diploma in Business and Management, and am a Web Designer part-time. I'm not sure how these will help with an application process. I don't think my chances are very good on this type, to be honest.

Theres also the business visas. I'm hoping to fund my racing career through my web design, so this could be an option, but as far as I can tell, you need quite a substantial amount of capital for a business visa. So that doesn't seem to be an option either.

I honestly can't understand how Matos got in working in a Go-Kart shop. Do they make exceptions for Sportsmen, that aren't 'internationally recognised?'. I'm a little confused.

An alternative option, if the US isn't possible, is Quebec, as Canada seem to be more encouraging to migrants.

Can anyone help?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Racing Driver

Well he is not married, he may have US Family that sponsored him, does not sound like a J1, been here too long, Green Card lottery? Sounds like he has lots of money.

http://www.skipbarber.com/careers.aspx

This job should qualify for a H Visa, but you would need to have the qualifications and be lucky when the Visa's are released, heavily oversubscribed.

Canada, well Quebec would need French, otherwise no idea.

PS Must take a photo of my Mazdaspeed, if I can find it.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Just had a ping through, 5.00 in the morning and I can not sleep.

For the old gits on here, they do have a Masters series!

Anyway basically you pay your 4 Grand for a 3 Day Course and that gives you the opportunity of then entering the competition, top prize is a $40,000 scholarship.

No mention of how many entrants, but must be in the hundreds.

They say that a season costs c$50,000, basically everybody has the same car/engine, could have sworn that there were similar options in the UK, Formula Ford, or am I just showing my age?

But then you would have normal living/travel costs on top of that.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Strange really, Matos ain't a rich guy, supposedly he came to the US with $200 in his pocket. But that could just be promotional spiel. I have to agree that it must be the green card lottery, I can't see it being anything else. Unfortunately, us Brits aren't eligible.

I've come to the conclusion that it will be easier, at least for the first couple of seasons, to just fly in from London for the races. The travelling will be a bit of a pain in the arse, but you can fly from London to the US for around £300 return. So even if I don't get a visa, its still possible to race in the US.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just had a ping through, 5.00 in the morning and I can not sleep.

For the old gits on here, they do have a Masters series!

Anyway basically you pay your 4 Grand for a 3 Day Course and that gives you the opportunity of then entering the competition, top prize is a $40,000 scholarship.

No mention of how many entrants, but must be in the hundreds.

They say that a season costs c$50,000, basically everybody has the same car/engine, could have sworn that there were similar options in the UK, Formula Ford, or am I just showing my age?

But then you would have normal living/travel costs on top of that.
It's true that there are similar options in the UK, and cheaper ones actually. For example, I'm planning to do a season of Club Formula Ford at Castle Combe in 2010, and that should only cost £10000 (or about $20000 on the current exchange rate) for the season. The difference is, in the US there is a career ladder system by Mazda. So you start in Skip Barber, and if you win there you recieve a scholarship to do Star Mazda, and then if you win there Champ Car Atlantics, and if you win there $2m towards a Champ Car season (or possible IndyCar if they merge, which is beginning to look more likely). Whereas in the UK, you can indeed pay the $20,000 for Club Formula Ford, but even if you win, you still need to find the money yourself for Formula Three, and realistically I won't be able to afford F3 out of my own pocket, unless I win the lottery. So the system is much better in the US for giving people in my situation an opportunity to get to the top. Hope that explains

You sound like you know your stuff, do you race yourself?

Tom
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Strange really, Matos ain't a rich guy, supposedly he came to the US with $200 in his pocket.
I know you have to be rich to race, seriously. He must have had backing to do what he did. I wonder what Credit/Bank Cards he had to go with the cash.

Unfortunately, us Brits aren't eligible.
Some are, most are not.

I've come to the conclusion that it will be easier, at least for the first couple of seasons, to just fly in from London for the races. The travelling will be a bit of a pain in the arse, but you can fly from London to the US for around £300 return. So even if I don't get a visa, its still possible to race in the US.
As an amateur.
It's true that there are similar options in the UK, and cheaper ones actually. For example, I'm planning to do a season of Club Formula Ford at Castle Combe in 2010, and that should only cost £10000 (or about $20000 on the current exchange rate) for the season. The difference is, in the US there is a career ladder system by Mazda. So you start in Skip Barber, and if you win there you recieve a scholarship to do Star Mazda, and then if you win there Champ Car Atlantics, and if you win there $2m towards a Champ Car season (or possible IndyCar if they merge, which is beginning to look more likely).
Lots of winning

You sound like you know your stuff, do you race yourself?
No, officer, my wife has a heavy foot.

A friend was heavily involved, Brands Hatch, Caterhams.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Mate,

I have been in pretty much an identical situation to yourself. I have raced since 1999 in the UK and in 2003 went over to the USA to race in the Barber Dodge Pro Series.

The way did it was this. I had to find the funding initially (as you know this is the hard part) which got me out there for some tests at Sebring. From this I raised the funding to do a few rounds of the Barber Dodge Pro Series but had to do all of this on the Visa Waiver scheme. Because I did 6 entries into the US in a few months it got a bit tense each time with immigration wanting to know what I was doing back (lugging a crash helmet with me didn't help).

Eventually I ran out of money so didn't finish the year. Since then through lack of money I've only been back a couple of times for odd races / tests.

While doing all this and talking with other drivers and staff at Barber Dodge there seems to be one common route. To get a professional sports visa which most full time drivers have, you have to provide proof you can fund the whole season in advance. If you can do this you still can't work but you would already have built in travel/living expenses into your budget (I did) so you don't need to work anyway. Most of the drivers then do casual (cash only) work at racing school or as driver coaches etc.

I imagine Matos did the same but don't know for sure. Some of the current drivers in Champ Car (who were doing BDPS when I was) didn't have to worry about the visa as they brought so much money they go through on either sports or investors visa.

Its bloomin hard mate but full credit to you for giving it a go. The Star Mazda cars are awesome, very similar to driving an F3 but more twitchy.

I work in racing schools part time over here and thats a good way to get some first hand info as a lot of guys teaching at these are similar to you and me, so a lot have done this before. In fact a few years ago Subaru took 10 UK racing drivers to Homestead Miami for 3 months to develop cars for them, I know because I was one of them 3 months doing 6 days a week driving all the new Imprezzas and getting everything paid for was great fun.

Keep at it though, if you can get over there the US racing scene is SOOOO much better than the UK. You won't believe the difference in the atmosphere at race weekends to the s**t way drivers are treating in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AndyR
Mate,

I have been in pretty much an identical situation to yourself. I have raced since 1999 in the UK and in 2003 went over to the USA to race in the Barber Dodge Pro Series.

The way did it was this. I had to find the funding initially (as you know this is the hard part) which got me out there for some tests at Sebring. From this I raised the funding to do a few rounds of the Barber Dodge Pro Series but had to do all of this on the Visa Waiver scheme. Because I did 6 entries into the US in a few months it got a bit tense each time with immigration wanting to know what I was doing back (lugging a crash helmet with me didn't help).

Eventually I ran out of money so didn't finish the year. Since then through lack of money I've only been back a couple of times for odd races / tests.

While doing all this and talking with other drivers and staff at Barber Dodge there seems to be one common route. To get a professional sports visa which most full time drivers have, you have to provide proof you can fund the whole season in advance. If you can do this you still can't work but you would already have built in travel/living expenses into your budget (I did) so you don't need to work anyway. Most of the drivers then do casual (cash only) work at racing school or as driver coaches etc.

I imagine Matos did the same but don't know for sure. Some of the current drivers in Champ Car (who were doing BDPS when I was) didn't have to worry about the visa as they brought so much money they go through on either sports or investors visa.

Its bloomin hard mate but full credit to you for giving it a go. The Star Mazda cars are awesome, very similar to driving an F3 but more twitchy.

I work in racing schools part time over here and thats a good way to get some first hand info as a lot of guys teaching at these are similar to you and me, so a lot have done this before. In fact a few years ago Subaru took 10 UK racing drivers to Homestead Miami for 3 months to develop cars for them, I know because I was one of them 3 months doing 6 days a week driving all the new Imprezzas and getting everything paid for was great fun.

Keep at it though, if you can get over there the US racing scene is SOOOO much better than the UK. You won't believe the difference in the atmosphere at race weekends to the s**t way drivers are treating in the UK.
Hi Andy,

Funny you mention US Immigration, I was just wondering about that. I've heard they're strict at the best of times! Did they ever refuse you entry?

Sorry to hear you ran out of money. Are you any closer to finding funding for this season?

The problem with the sports visa is that my funding is (hopefully) going to come from my web design business, or possibly job if that isn't viable. If I can't work in the US, I won't be able fund the next season in case I don't win the scholarship, and then I'm out on my ear. I'm beginning to think it just might not be feasable to live there. I know there is the potential of sponsorship, but just how abundant is it in the US?

Agree about the US scene, I think the UK scene is too much about money. I know you need money to race, but the Skip Barber series actually helps to develop you as a driver, with all the tuition you get, and the scholarship system. You don't get that racing Formula Ford or Formula Renault in the UK.

Congrats on the Subaru thing btw, who did you have to kill to get that job?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the pampas bull
Hi Andy,

Funny you mention US Immigration, I was just wondering about that. I've heard they're strict at the best of times! Did they ever refuse you entry?

Sorry to hear you ran out of money. Are you any closer to finding funding for this season?

The problem with the sports visa is that my funding is (hopefully) going to come from my web design business, or possibly job if that isn't viable. If I can't work in the US, I won't be able fund the next season in case I don't win the scholarship, and then I'm out on my ear. I'm beginning to think it just might not be feasable to live there. I know there is the potential of sponsorship, but just how abundant is it in the US?

Agree about the US scene, I think the UK scene is too much about money. I know you need money to race, but the Skip Barber series actually helps to develop you as a driver, with all the tuition you get, and the scholarship system. You don't get that racing Formula Ford or Formula Renault in the UK.

Congrats on the Subaru thing btw, who did you have to kill to get that job?
No never got refused entry, although took about 45 minutes at MCO one time as I had only been through the previous week

No not bothered to look this year I tried so hard before, especially in 2003 for the Barber Dodge Pro Series that after spening most of 2004 looking and not getting a penny I gave up. I had been chasing money all the way back from 1998 and just got sick of it really. I remember in 2002 I spent probably 6 months working on a proposal for a company and it was all looking good until at the last minute they decided motorsport was dangerous and they didn't want to be associated with that!!! :curse:

I understand with the funding. I funded everything myself with having 2 jobs (IT support full time and Racing School Instructor Part Time) so I know how hard it is. I ran a full season in Formula Honda/Formula Jedi over here in 2002 for £6000 and came 2nd overall when the winner spent £30K+ so it can be done.

Agree with Skip Barber and the scholarship. When I was doing it AJ had just won the championship the previous year and was jumping into Atlantics. He was on hand when I was testing offering advice to other drivers which was good. I spent 2 days initially at Sebring and after meeting with the Barber Dodge people they offered to fund the second day as I couldn't afford it, as they were impressed I was prepared to fly out for it in the first place. They also then gave me an extra half day free because the car I was given had a new motor so needed half a day to run it in. You won't find that in the UK!! Also, I had 2 driver coaches with me and they had there development driver (Oswoldo Negri Jr who was on pole at Daytona this year) on hand to help with car setup and explain things etc. I learn't more in those 2 days than I had the previous 3 seasons!

Subaru thing just came about by working a racing schools. Got to know lots of other drivers doing the same thing and from that go a chance to instruct at ProDrive. While there I found out about the Miami thing so pushed my way in and after a while it came of and away we went. Its not the norm though and I wouldn't recommend it as a full time job. Long hours in the UK for very little pay.

All the best though mate. What you racing at the moment? Karts?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, not yet, but in the near future

I'm starting racing here in the UK in 2009, but in 2011 I want to start racing with the Skip Barber Racing School (www.skipbarber.com). I'm looking to forge a career in the US since Mazda have a career ladder scholarship type program there. I can't afford to move up the ladder in Europe, as I'm from a non-racing, working class family, who don't want anything to do with my racing ambitions. Over here, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you haven't got the financial backing (and we're talking at least £400,000 a season for Formula 3), you're not gonna get anywhere, since there is no proven scholarship system.

I'm planning to move over to the US in 2011, however, I know from research that getting a US visa isn't easy. The closest example I could give to my situation is Rafael Matos, who moved to the US in 2002 and worked in a Go-Kart shop to fund his career. So obviously, it is possible. I'm confused however, at what category I would fall under for a Visa? I looked into the P1 category for sportsmen, but the term 'internationally recognised' seems to suggest that wouldn't include me.

Then there are the 'skilled worker' visas, which I'm presuming is what Matos must have entered on. It should be noted at this point that I am studying for a Diploma in Business and Management, and am a Web Designer part-time. I'm not sure how these will help with an application process. I don't think my chances are very good on this type, to be honest.

Theres also the business visas. I'm hoping to fund my racing career through my web design, so this could be an option, but as far as I can tell, you need quite a substantial amount of capital for a business visa. So that doesn't seem to be an option either.

I honestly can't understand how Matos got in working in a Go-Kart shop. Do they make exceptions for Sportsmen, that aren't 'internationally recognised?'. I'm a little confused.

An alternative option, if the US isn't possible, is Quebec, as Canada seem to be more encouraging to migrants.

Can anyone help?
Hi:

You may want to hire an immigration lawyer to guide you in your research. I wonder if Skip Barber is a "school" in the traditional sense? Is it "vocational training." It may even be within the realm of a "B-1" visitor for business visa?

I don't know for sure, but I DO see possibilities.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

All the best though mate. What you racing at the moment? Karts?
Start karts next year, hopefully a couple of races towards the end of this year (better late than never, eh?). I'm also planning to enter the Fun Cup Scholarship and maybe try and do the Spa 25 Hours. From there, we'll see, as as usual it all depends on money, but I know I definetely want to race in Skip Barber as soon as possible

Thanks for all your help Andy, and I hope you win the lottery or something and can get racing again

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
You may want to hire an immigration lawyer to guide you in your research. I wonder if Skip Barber is a "school" in the traditional sense? Is it "vocational training." It may even be within the realm of a "B-1" visitor for business visa?

I don't know for sure, but I DO see possibilities.
We'll see when it comes to it, as I don't plan to go until 2011, or 2010 if possible. I do think its possible, but I'm not going to go if I can't work or run my own business while I'm there.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll see when it comes to it, as I don't plan to go until 2011, or 2010 if possible. I do think its possible, but I'm not going to go if I can't work or run my own business while I'm there.
Hi:

My apologies. I thought you wanted to make repeated trips to the US to take part in the Skip Barber School. I guess I misunderstood.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

My apologies. I thought you wanted to make repeated trips to the US to take part in the Skip Barber School. I guess I misunderstood.
Oh, sorry, I think its me who misunderstood you! I do indeed want to make repeated trips to take part, with a view to maybe emmigrating there eventually. But since I wouldn't be able to work or get a job on the visas available, the latter doesn't seem possible
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Start karts next year, hopefully a couple of races towards the end of this year (better late than never, eh?). I'm also planning to enter the Fun Cup Scholarship and maybe try and do the Spa 25 Hours. From there, we'll see, as as usual it all depends on money, but I know I definetely want to race in Skip Barber as soon as possible
I take it you've looked at the sorts of costs for this? Spa 24hrs you'll be looking at around £15k per driver.

Also, steer clear of the scholarships, they are a waste of money and a lot of them are rigged. There was one for Legends a few years ago and they canned it halfway through and no refunds. Also, I know of a driver who won one of these years ago and he was told weeks before the final event he had got it so don't bother, use your money for something else.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

I take it you've looked at the sorts of costs for this? Spa 24hrs you'll be looking at around £15k per driver.

Also, steer clear of the scholarships, they are a waste of money and a lot of them are rigged. There was one for Legends a few years ago and they canned it halfway through and no refunds. Also, I know of a driver who won one of these years ago and he was told weeks before the final event he had got it so don't bother, use your money for something else.
I think you mean the FIA GT race? I was talking about the funcup one, which is 25 hours. At the current rate its about £3k per driver, I'm still thinking about whether to do it or not.

I didn't think of that actually, good point. Should be better served spending it on tuition!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you mean the FIA GT race? I was talking about the funcup one, which is 25 hours. At the current rate its about £3k per driver, I'm still thinking about whether to do it or not.

I didn't think of that actually, good point. Should be better served spending it on tuition!
Oh yeah sorry. The FunCup is the beetle one isn't it. Cool looking cars, watched them race a bit in the past at meetings.

Have fun and good luck with everything!!