Returning LPR vs. 8 CFR

Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

immiq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning LPR vs. 8 CFR

Does the 8 CFR mean a returning Lawful Permanent Resident’s 10 years Green Card and 2 years Reentry Permit will automatically become expired/invalid if the LPR leaving the USA for over one year?

8 CFR Sec. 211.3 Expiration of immigrant visas, reentry permits, refugee travel document, and Form I - 551.

An immigrant visa, reentry permit, refugee travel document, or Form I - 551 shall be regarded as unexpired if the rightful holder embarked or enplaned before the expiration of his or her immigrant visa, reentry permit, or refugee travel document, or with respect to Form I - 551, before the first anniversary of the date on which he or she departed from the United States, provided that the vessel or aircraft on which he or she so embarked or enplaned arrives in the United States or foreign contiguous territor y on a continuous voyage. The continuity of the voyage shall not be deemed to have been interrupted by scheduled or emergency stops of the vessel or aircraft en route to the United States or foreign contiguous territory, or by a layover in foreign contiguous territory necessitated solely for the purpose of effecting a transportation connection to the United States.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning LPR vs. 8 CFR

Originally Posted by immiq
Does the 8 CFR mean a returning Lawful Permanent Resident’s 10 years Green Card and 2 years Reentry Permit will automatically become expired/invalid if the LPR leaving the USA for over one year?
No.

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

8 CFR Sec. 211.3 Expiration of immigrant visas, reentry permits, refugee travel document, and Form I - 551.

An immigrant visa, reentry permit, refugee travel document, or Form I - 551 shall be regarded as unexpired if the rightful holder embarked or enplaned before the expiration of his or her immigrant visa, reentry permit, or refugee travel document, or with respect to Form I - 551, before the first anniversary of the date on which he or she departed from the United States, provided that the vessel or aircraft on which he or she so embarked or enplaned arrives in the United States or foreign contiguous territor y on a continuous voyage. The continuity of the voyage shall not be deemed to have been interrupted by scheduled or emergency stops of the vessel or aircraft en route to the United States or foreign contiguous territory, or by a layover in foreign contiguous territory necessitated solely for the purpose of effecting a transportation connection to the United States.
Hi:

Where do you get the idea that the 2-year entry permit becomes invalid if one is out a year? Curious minds would like to know.

Also, please take a look at 8 CFR 211.4. However, I happen to think that the decision is not one of "discretion." Also look at 8 CFR 235.3(b)(5).

The law of abandonment is a complicated and fact specific area. A little knowledge can be dangerous. Even many immigration attorneys don't get it. I find I have to "reinvent the wheel" on every abandonment case I've ever handled.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

The 8 CFR Sec. 211.3 is regarding to Expiration of immigrant visas, reentry permits, refugee travel document, and Form I - 551. Since you do not think the Reentry Permit and Form 551 (Green Card) will become expired after one leaving the USA for over one year, can anyone explain the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

The 8 CFR Sec. 211.3 is regarding to Expiration of immigrant visas, reentry permits, refugee travel document, and Form I - 551. Since you do not think the Reentry Permit and Form 551 (Green Card) will become expired after one leaving the USA for over one year, can anyone explain the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3?
Hi:

I gave you the other citations. I have not bothered to cite to the case law. You are focused on one provision in the regulations. Lawyers look at all the sections, consider the statute and case law.

It is a complicated area. It is quite fact specific. I believe in brief "briefs" and my abandonment ones are usually quite long.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Returning LPR vs. 8 CFR Sec. 211.3

So, the Green Card will not expire as well as Reentry Permit after one leaving the country for over one year, right? If so, can LPR reenter the USA with his green card or he is required by law to apply for a returning visa before reentering the USA?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So, the Green Card will not expire as well as Reentry Permit after one leaving the country for over one year, right? If so, can LPR reenter the USA with his green card or he is required by law to apply for a returning visa before reentering the USA?
There is NO rule on this kind of thing. Every person's case is looked at as a totally individual case. What one person might be able to do, doesn't mean another person can do exactly that.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So, the Green Card will not expire as well as Reentry Permit after one leaving the country for over one year, right?
You should know, that Mr. Folinsky will not give you a "yes/no" answer no matter how much you want one. He will give you the information so that *you* can figure it out for yourself. If you're unable to figure it out for yourself, you should hire an attorney.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie Chaplin had a reentry permit. Never did him any good.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

I hope you are not responding to my post. I said no such thing.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I hope you are not responding to my post. I said no such thing.
Hi, what such thing did you say, the Green Card, Reentry Permit or both? Can you say it again? According to the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3, will a 10-years Green Card expire if the LPR leaves USA for over one year and why? I am talking about the Form I-551 only this time and leave the Reentry Permit next. Or any expert can explain what on earth the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3 means?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:08 am
Account Closed

According to the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3, will a 10-years Green Card expire if the LPR leaves USA for over one year and why?
Hi:

Inasmuch as 8 CFR 211.3 states what it says and nothing more, where do you get the idea that it says that a 10 year I-551 expires if one leaves for over a year? You QUOTE the entire section, highlight in red, and then you can't be bothered to read it.

This section is one of the more clear sections in the regulations. Please read it. To repeat -- it says what it says and NOTHING MORE.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:12 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, what such thing did you say, the Green Card, Reentry Permit or both? Can you say it again? According to the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3, will a 10-years Green Card expire if the LPR leaves USA for over one year and why? I am talking about the Form I-551 only this time and leave the Reentry Permit next. Or any expert can explain what on earth the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3 means?
Maybe yes. Maybe no. Depends on what you do to maintain it or abandon it, whether the immigration official has an upset stomach, and the phase of the moon. As stated above, it's specific to the individual. You may lose it in less than a year. You may be able to successfully argue that you have not abandoned it even after a year. It is not for us to predict your future.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Inasmuch as 8 CFR 211.3 states what it says and nothing more, where do you get the idea that it says that a 10 year I-551 expires if one leaves for over a year? You QUOTE the entire section, highlight in red, and then you can't be bothered to read it.

This section is one of the more clear sections in the regulations. Please read it. To repeat -- it says what it says and NOTHING MORE.
Hi! Here you go.

An immigrant visa, reentry permit, refugee travel document, or Form I - 551 shall be regarded as unexpired if the rightful holder embarked or enplaned before the expiration of his or her immigrant visa, reentry permit, or refugee travel document, or with respect to Form I - 551, before the first anniversary of the date on which he or she departed from the United States,…

Will the Form I-551 and Reentry Permit expire after a permanent resident leaves USA for over one year according to the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3 and why? It seems we still have no expert can explain it but Maybe only. Is it too hard to understand it?

Last edited by immiq; Jan 31st 2008 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Here you go.

An immigrant visa, reentry permit, refugee travel document, or Form I - 551 shall be regarded as unexpired if the rightful holder embarked or enplaned before the expiration of his or her immigrant visa, reentry permit, or refugee travel document, or with respect to Form I - 551, before the first anniversary of the date on which he or she departed from the United States,…

Will the Form I-551 and Reentry Permit expire after a permanent resident leaves USA for over one year according to the 8 CFR Sec. 211.3 and why? It seems we still have no expert can explain it but Maybe only. Is it too hard to understand it?
It seems you keep reposting the same paragraph and then asking the same question. Evidently no one here can explain it to you so that you can understand. You might want to have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney, who can explain it to you face-to-face, you can ask questions in person, it will probably be easier for you that way.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.