Question and dilemna

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 11:28 pm
Blakely28

Hi! I have a question reguarding taxes. My Canadian husband and I have been married
since September 2000 and just recently saved up enough money for the paperwork. We
would have filed his paperwork back in January but we had to get his long form birth
certificate and that took 2 weeks... then they sent a short form which is not what
we needed.... now this took an extra 2 weeks. Unfortunately when it came in... it
was for another person... a woman actually! Now we are waiting again... it should be
in tomorrow or Monday. Now because of all this waiting I only have about 3 weeks to
file my taxes. We wanted to file jointly but he does not have a SSN yet. We tried to
get a ITIN number, but were turned down because we did not send in the original
items, I only sent copies. As soon as his birth certificate comes in we are going to
file in person in New Orleans... hopefully Tuesday! My question is should I file for
an extension on my taxes?? Or what?? I am stumped at this. Because if he doesn't
have an ITIN then we can't file jointly and I am stuck paying more money in which I
can not afford. I have been supporting myself and my husband alone on my part time
job for almost a year now. I'm sorry this really isn't a "MARRIAGE VISA" question,
but I trust your opinions on this. ) On the tax extension it asks for a spouces
SSN, will they give me an extension even if he doens't have one yet?? Im just not
sure what to do.

Thanks!!

Lynn

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 12:23 am
Rete

You can file an extension on your taxes using just your name and social security
number and make the adjustment later on as to marital status and adding your
husband's name and social security number.

Have you checked out if you can file in person in NO? I did it for you at
http://www.kamya.com/aos/louisiana.html#neworleans and everyone who has used NO said
to file in person. The report in 7/00 was that it took 30 days for the EAD.

Rita

>
    >
the
    >
get
    >
short
    >
    >
actually!
    >
because of
    >
file
    >
were
    >
copies.
    >
in New
    >
extension on
    >
ITIN
    >
not
    >
job
    >
question,
    >
    >
yet??
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 12:27 am
N75ranger

It won't matter if you get an extension, your tax submission is based on your status
as of Dec 31. Sorry to be the bearer of bad new.

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 12:44 am
Rete

Hmmm....what bad news??? They were married in September of 2000. Therefore, their
filing status is "married" as of the 31st of December.

Rita

>
your
    >

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 1:05 am
Bruce

Hello, You don't really need an extension..unless you owe money. If I were you I
would complete my tax forms as joint omitting you husbands SSN. If you owe money,
file an extension leaving his SSN blank and send a check for the balance. If they
owe you, just fill in and file once he has a SSN.Once you file for adjustment of
status you can take the reciept to a SS office and get a SSN over the phone in a few
days. Here is a link for processing time:
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm Good Luck

[email protected] (Blakely28) wrote in article
<[email protected]> :
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 1:00 pm
mj

>
    >
    >
    >

I don't know where you live, but you can apply for the ITIN "in person" at any IRS
office, thus avoiding problems sending originals. We did that. If you have a problem
meeting the April 15 deadline for filing, don't sweat, just send in the extension
form. You have to "think" about what you are doing and not get in a panic over it.
Remain calm. Mike

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 3:22 pm
Alex J

My wife filed several extensions last year while we waited for my EAD so I could
get a SSN. I had a TIN but needed the SSN to get the earned income credit.. I got
my SSN in Nov.

Hope that helps.

Alex