Question about EAD & SS

Old Oct 17th 2003, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

EricL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about EAD & SS

My wife came to the U.S. about a week ago on a K-3 visa. We are now ready and eager to start the next part of this process. Can someone explain what we need for EAD and how long it generally takes to receive the card? Also for SS... can you get that before EAD or do we wait until until she receives the EAD before applying for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:08 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Eric

This was discussed about 4 -5 days ago here. Try doing a search for EAD & K3 and see what comes up. Have a look at my timeline. Some are at the same stage as me and some have already got their EAD.

Maggie
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:09 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, it seems that sometimes pesonal cheques are allowed and sometimes not!

Maggie
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about EAD & SS

Eric,

Find the application form on the BCIS web site.

Originally posted by EricL
My wife came to the U.S. about a week ago on a K-3 visa. We are now ready and eager to start the next part of this process. Can someone explain what we need for EAD and how long it generally takes to receive the card? Also for SS... can you get that before EAD or do we wait until until she receives the EAD before applying for that?

Old Oct 17th 2003, 6:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

In direct answer to your question-as a K3 recipient, your wife must apply for the EAD first, before being granted a regular SSN. You have to have proof the EAD was filed first, and THEN she may apply for an SSN.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so it sounds like we have to fill out the I-765 form and send it to Chicago with 2 photos (white background) and a money order for $120..... is that correct?

One more quick question if you don't mind. Once she gets the EAD and her SSN, then she can start looking for work immediately or is there something else that she has to do??

Thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:03 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Ok, so it sounds like we have to fill out the I-765 form and send it to Chicago with 2 photos (white background) and a money order for $120..... is that correct?

One more quick question if you don't mind. Once she gets the EAD and her SSN, then she can start looking for work immediately or is there something else that she has to do??

Thanks.

Hi Eric.

That's correct ... for both questions. I can't wait to get mine so I can get out of the house and get a job! I'm sure your wife feels the same.

Maggie
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, Maggs.

My wife really isn't in a hurry to start working. She is still trying to adjust to all the changes and different surroundings. This is my wife's first time in the States. So far she loves it and I love having her here!!!!!

Hopefully after the holidays she can get job and start working.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:27 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Thanks for the info, Maggs.

My wife really isn't in a hurry to start working. She is still trying to adjust to all the changes and different surroundings. This is my wife's first time in the States. So far she loves it and I love having her here!!!!!

Hopefully after the holidays she can get job and start working.

Good luck to you both and I hope your wife settles in well. I've been here three months and I'm crawling the walls for something to do!!

Maggie
Old Oct 18th 2003, 12:54 am
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

[

Hopefully after the holidays she can get job and start working. [/QUOTE]

Awwww Eric I hope all works out well for the both of you. Best wishes! John goes for his EAD appointment on the 30th of this month.
Cindy
Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:19 am
Michael D. Young

cindyabs wrote:

> Originally posted by EricL
    > > My wife came to the U.S. about a week ago on a K-3 visa. We are now
    > > ready and eager to start the next part of this process. Can someone
    > > explain what we need for EAD and how long it generally takes to
    > > receive the card? Also for SS... can you get that before EAD or do we
    > > wait until until she receives the EAD before applying for that?
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    > In direct answer to your question-as a K3 recipient, your wife must
    > apply for the EAD first, before being granted a regular SSN. You have to
    > have proof the EAD was filed first, and THEN she may apply for an SSN.

As a K-3 you must have the EAD in your hand to be assigned a work authorized
SSN. Not just show you applied for it. The amount of time it take to be
assigned the SSN and receive the card depends on how lucky you are. If you
are real lucky your status will be verified through SAVE while you are in
the SSA office and will probably receive the card in the mail within two
weeks. If you aren't so lucky the SSA office will need to send a G-845 for
manual verification and that could takes weeks or more to come back.

Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:31 am
Michael D. Young

EricL wrote:

> Ok, so it sounds like we have to fill out the I-765 form and send it to
    > Chicago with 2 photos (white background) and a money order for $120.....
    > is that correct?
    > One more quick question if you don't mind. Once she gets the EAD and her
    > SSN, then she can start looking for work immediately or is there
    > something else that she has to do??

Can start working once you have EAD and have a receipt showing you have
applied for the SSN.

Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:48 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Eric,

Check out my timeline for the whole process....

Your wife will have to be patient after she gets all her paperwork, from my experience its been over a month of applying for lots of jobs and the interviews are only just starting to trickle through.