Question...

Old Mar 27th 2001, 3:20 pm
Daisy

My Canadian husband and I go for our interview on April 19th.....he should get his
conditional stamp in his passport if all goes well. My question is this. When we go
for our removal of these conditions in two years, his passport will be expired. I
realize that we will need to petition for a renewal Canadian passport for him, but
I'm a little uneasy about sending this in the mail with his stamp and they require
that we do. Will they return the expired passport along with his new one? I get
nervous when someone wants an original of something. And how soon should we petition
for his passport renewal? Would six months be enough?

Daisy

Old Mar 27th 2001, 5:10 pm
RJLiles

Where are you?

Find out what Canadian Embassy/Consulate covers the area you are in, look to see if
they have a webpage, and then see if you can find out the information you are looking
for. They may even have a phone number you could call to ask about if they return the
old passport.

>
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
for
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 6:11 pm
Daisy

Thanks, we did call the Embassy out of Dallas, they said all they could do was send
us an application to renew his passport....I was thinking though, if we wait until he
receives his actual conditional green card, the passport with his stamp would not be
needed anyway am I correct? Then the new passport would be good for another five
years and could be stamped with his permanent resident stamp when we remove
conditions. If INS asks to see his passport with his stamp when we remove conditions
in two years, but we show them his conditional green card, wouldn't that be the same
thing? It's good until May of 2002, so we've got a little over a year to work with.

Daisy

>
    >
    >
to
    >
information
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > My Canadian husband and I go for our interview on April 19th.....he[/usenetquote2]
should
[usenetquote2]> > get his conditional stamp in his passport if all goes well. My question[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > this. When we go for our removal of these conditions in two years, his passport[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > will be expired. I realize that we will need to petition for a renewal Canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > passport for him, but I'm a little uneasy about sending this in the mail with his[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > stamp and they require that we do. Will they return the expired passport along[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with his new one? I get nervous when someone wants an original of something. And[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > how soon should we petition[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > his passport renewal? Would six months be enough?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Daisy[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 8:04 pm
RJLiles

in message

[usenetquote2]> > > My Canadian husband and I go for our interview on April 19th.....he[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > get his conditional stamp in his passport if all goes well. My[/usenetquote2]
question
[usenetquote2]> > is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > this. When we go for our removal of these conditions in two years,[/usenetquote2]
his
[usenetquote2]> > > passport will be expired. I realize that we will need to petition for[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > > renewal Canadian passport for him, but I'm a little uneasy about[/usenetquote2]
sending
[usenetquote2]> > > this in the mail with his stamp and they require that we do. Will[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > > return the expired passport along with his new one? I get nervous[/usenetquote2]
when
[usenetquote2]> > > someone wants an original of something. And how soon should we[/usenetquote2]
petition
[usenetquote2]> > for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > his passport renewal? Would six months be enough?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Daisy[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 10:30 pm
Hilary Whalen

Having just gotten a new passport for the K1 visa process here in Canada, you do need
to take in the old one...... the need to void it, but will give it back to you! Also,
they do use your previous passport to verify identification of citizenship. If
possible your best be is to make the trip to the Canadian consulate and apply for the
new passport in person...... H

Daisy wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >