Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Professional Makeup Artist from Uk to US

Professional Makeup Artist from Uk to US

Old May 2nd 2009, 2:13 am
AOX
Just Joined

AOX is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Professional Makeup Artist from Uk to US

Hi everyone,

I just would like to share with you all how great this website is!
Keep up the great work!

Im very VERY interested in living and working in the USA.
I am a professional makeup artist and have spoken to a lawyer who has said that the best way to get to the States and live and work would be to go for the O1 visa.

The lawyer I spoke to was very re-assuring that this was the best way possible for a Makeup artist. He said if I didnt have an award from my field of work then I would need to meet certain criteria in my field.

I have been researching as much as possible and know alot about the O1 visa so far. I am just wondering of there is anymore advise that you can give me?

It looks like i need to save at least $5000 for a lawyer and visa processing.

I just want to be really sure that this is something that is guarenteed.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional Makeup Artist from Uk to US

Originally Posted by AOX
I just want to be really sure that this is something that is guarenteed.
I think I've just pissed my pants.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:19 am
AOX
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
I think I've just pissed my pants.
Ok so obviously its not guarenteed and you've wet yourself...
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The O-1 visa is not self-petitioned. An applicant must have a sponsor to apply ..ie a job offer.

Hopefully if you are at the top of your trade ..the employer may cough up the legal costs

There is never any guarantee's
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:23 am
AOX
Just Joined

A lawyer would submit my application.
What about letters of recommendation?

I was going to pay the legal fees myself. I have my own business as a makeup artist.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AOX
What about letters of recommendation?

I was going to pay the legal fees myself. I have my own business as a makeup artist.
You cannot apply for yourself

Have a read up ..

http://www.greencardapply.com/o1visa/o1visa_faq.htm
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AOX
You don't seem to understand... you would need a job offer from a company in the US. No job offer = no visa. It's as simple as that.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AOX
The lawyer not explain the process? Are you sure they are a proper immigration lawyer and not some dodgy "visa consultant"?

It's a tough visa to get, you need a lot of experience, preferably a lot of published work and be very highly regarded. I was chatting to a company that tried bringing someone over on a O1 last year, the bloke had 13 years experience as a animator, published AAA titles down the length of his arm, they used a very good Boston firm and it was still denied.

One thing that might work would be your business, depending on how large it is?
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AOX
and have spoken to a lawyer who has said that the best way to get to the States and live and work would be to go for the O1 visa.
Tell the lawyer you want the following agreement:
You'll pay the fees for the visa.
As for the lawyer's fee, you'll pay double if you get the visa or nothing if not.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Tell the lawyer you want the following agreement:
You'll pay the fees for the visa.
As for the lawyer's fee, you'll pay double if you get the visa or nothing if not.
Or triple?
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or triple?
Yep -- I'd probably risk that.