Processing time!

Old May 7th 2009, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

kg4zlb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing time!

Hi everyone,

I am told that there is hardly any backlog at the Chicago Processing Center for I-130 Petitions, does anyone know if this is true?

My ex-wife (now married to a USC) and children submitted their forms in late November 2008 and had their Green cards by the beginning of February 2009 which seems to be a stunning turn round by any measure!

Having married a USC, I have only recently filed my own I-130 so I wondered if I might be so lucky timewise (?)

Thanks

David
Old May 7th 2009, 7:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing time!

Originally Posted by kg4zlb
I am told that there is hardly any backlog at the Chicago Processing Center for I-130 Petitions, does anyone know if this is true?
Are you interested in JUST the I-130 part of the petition (towards an Immigrant Visa) or are you interested in the I-130 + I-485 adjustment of status (AOS) filing (which is what you do if you are already in the USA)?

My ex-wife (now married to a USC) and children submitted their forms in late November 2008 and had their Green cards by the beginning of February 2009 which seems to be a stunning turn round by any measure!
Depends what the "forms" are. If they did Immigrant Visas, there is no way they would have that whole process done and green card in hand within 3 months. However, if they were already in the USA and did AOS, then yes, it's possible.

Having married a USC, I have only recently filed my own I-130 so I wondered if I might be so lucky timewise (?)
I don't think YOU filed an I-130, since you seem to be the non-USC. The USC files the I-130.

Now it depends...are you in the USA? Did you file the AOS package or just the I-130? If you filed the complete AOS package, then it's possible you could have your green card within a few months, or up to a year...depends on the backlog at your local office. If you only filed an I-130 because you're outside the USA and you plan to get an Immigrant Visa, your whole processing time might be more like 8 - 10 months. If you are inside the USA, but only filed an I-130, then you did it wrong.

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I think you mean that your USC wife filed an I-130 for you, right?

Ian
Old May 7th 2009, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Yes sorry, I was using the "I-130" as a generic term but meant that my USC wife did petition and sign the I-130 and yes, an AOS (I-485) plus the G-325a's and the medical (I-693) and the I-765 (EAD) and the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) were all filed together.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sorry, I was using the "I-130" as a generic term but meant that my USC wife did petition and sign the I-130 and yes, an AOS (I-485) plus the G-325a's and the medical (I-693) and the I-765 (EAD) and the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) were all filed together.
Good! Then depending on the backlog at your office, you have anywhere from 3 - 12 months or so to wait for the AOS interview. You can probably check processing times at your local office at www.uscis.gov, but it doesn't mean much...it's all just an estimate.

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 8:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "Chicago Processing Center" for I-130 petitions.

Regards, JEff

Hi everyone,

Old May 7th 2009, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

So after its arrived at:

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Where does it go then?

David
Old May 7th 2009, 9:14 pm

So after its arrived at:

USCIS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Where does it go then?

David
The EAD and AP parts go to another location for adjudication and production. The I-130 and I-485 wait until your local office backlog has time for you, then the whole file gets sent there, so you can have an AOS interview.

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 9:17 pm

So after its arrived at:

USCIS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Where does it go then?

David
Looks like the wrong address to me. Did you mean THIS one?

For courier/express delivery:

USCIS
Attn: AOS
Chicago, IL 60603-5520

Taken from the front page of the instructions for the I-485 here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene,

Well apart from the "Attn of" and the last four digits of the zip, the address is the same and the address I sent it to was the one given on the instructions to the I-130 which is the main form in the whole bundle.

I was not aware of the forms being sent to other areas for processing, kinda assumed that it would all be dealt with in the same place.

I know that my ex and the children went to Tampa for the fingerprints in late January 2009 (some 2 months after filing) then had the final interview in February with the PRA cards following soon after - I am hoping that my papers will be dealt with as quickly, we shall see.

Thanks for your help.

David
Old May 7th 2009, 9:36 pm

Well apart from the "Attn of" and the last four digits of the zip, the address is the same and the address I sent it to was the one given on the instructions to the I-130 which is the main form in the whole bundle.
Hopefully whoever receives it at that address or mailbox will hand carry it or send it to the correct department/place. There's a reason the last 4 of the zip are different....that means it goes to a different mailbox location.

And you're mistaken, the I-130 is not the main form in your package. The I-485 is the main form. The I-130 just gives you the right to file an I-485 for adjustment. The whole adjustment is based off of the I-485 form, and that's the form which has the correct mailing address on it.

You should be OK, though, hopefully. You got lucky that the addresses were so close. If the I-130 address had been way off, you would have had it returned (still might, but I doubt it).

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 9:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think everything first goes to the National Benefits Center (formerly the Missouri Service Center), in Lee's Summit MO.

The Chicago site is nothing more than the NBC's off-site mail receiving operation. The check is taken to the bank, the rest of the submission is checked for completeness, assembled into a file, and sent down to the NBC for preliminary review.

Regards, JEff

So after its arrived at:

USCIS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Where does it go then?

David
Originally Posted by Noorah101
The EAD and AP parts go to another location for adjudication and production. The I-130 and I-485 wait until your local office backlog has time for you, then the whole file gets sent there, so you can have an AOS interview.

Rene
Old May 7th 2009, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Ah ha, my set of instructions are slightly out of date hence the incorrect address but I spoke with USCIS before sending the package and they said that they accept forms that have been superseded as long as they fall within their own date criteria, which they did!

Funnily enough, when I went to my local UPS store to send the file, they queried the address, they asked "South Dearborn...what?", I showed them the address in the instructions and they accepted it - it was also signed for on delivery so I think I would have heard by now if there was a problem with the address. I know Government Offices/Employees can be a nightmare to deal with but sending the whole lot back on that basis would be rather churlish! And anyway, they sure cashed the check quickly enough

David
Old May 7th 2009, 9:59 pm

deleted, D was right!
Old May 7th 2009, 10:03 pm

Ah ha, my set of instructions are slightly out of date hence the incorrect address but I spoke with USCIS before sending the package and they said that they accept forms that have been superseded as long as they fall within their own date criteria, which they did!
Older forms can be used even if the information on them is outdated. That's why it's good to look at that front cover page online (the one I linked to). That will always have the MOST up-to-date information for you, if the form itself is outdated. Whatever is on that online cover page, supercedes what's on the form itself.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.