British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Problems at Amlife EB5 Investor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/problems-amlife-eb5-investor-754864/)

cranston Jan 25th 2013 6:15 am

Re: Problems at Amlife EB5 Investor

I have never seen a post from anyone on this forum saying they got their money back.

Davidle66 Jan 25th 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Everyone

I have just received the approval for removing my green card conditional; So happy...

6 month wait, and no RFE for my case. I invested in 1016 project AM
Any one in forum has taken 500,000 back from AM ? please share

Fixuis Jan 26th 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Davidle66 (Post 10506558)
Hi Everyone

I have just received the approval for removing my green card conditional; So happy...

6 month wait, and no RFE for my case. I invested in 1016 project AM
Any one in forum has taken 500,000 back from AM ? please share

Congratulations!! You're eb-5 journey is complete! Don't regional centre's promise repayment in 5-7 years after the initial investment?

cranston Jan 27th 2013 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Fixuis (Post 10507145)
Don't regional centre's promise repayment in 5-7 years after the initial investment?

The few loan based RCs do but the majority of EB5 projects need to sell a business or property to repay the investors. I am yet to hear of such a success story.

eb52012 Feb 11th 2013 6:14 pm

Anybody aware of what has happened in the Carlson v USCIS case?

John_K. Feb 12th 2013 1:01 am

Originally Posted by eb52012 (Post 10539352)

Can you explain a bit further what this is about?

cranston Feb 12th 2013 2:30 am

Originally Posted by eb52012 (Post 10539352)

is this possibly related, quoting from the 2012 year end CEO letter I received from Amlife?

The biggest challenge we may face during 2013, could be dealing with USCIS's recent interpretations of the EB-5 rules........USCIS has gone against their own regulations and is effectively making up new rules. USCIS has denied projects across the country causing needless and expensive law suits.

eb52012 Feb 12th 2013 3:35 am

Yes but is there a final outcome/ verdict on the case?

eb52012 Feb 12th 2013 3:39 am

http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/...n-v-uscis.aspx

smallpatato Feb 12th 2013 9:12 am

http://eb5investmentreport.com/eb-5-...gional-center/

cranston Feb 12th 2013 10:52 am

thanks smallpatato, the embedded video was well worth watching.

eb5s Mar 22nd 2013 12:24 am

Originally Posted by ALBRUZ (Post 10005706)
We came to the Us in Dec 2009 on an EB5 Visa after Investing in the Amlife 1531 project in Seattle. Everything went fine and the project went ahead without problem with 118 investors building a $58 million dollar 6 storey Multi purpose Ofice Block in Seattle which was completed in 2010

The first 54 investors filed their I-829 petitions for removal of conditions of conditional residence without problem and we thought everything was going to be fine when we filed our I-829 petition in October 2011

However after waiting for 6 months the Immigration services have requested further evidence in our petition with a quite agressive RFE and now we are very very worried in case our I-829 Petition is denied . The main request of the RFE from the Immigration services is a detailed account of job creation that the project has created.

At the time of our initial I-829 Submission in October 2011 the office building only had 1 tennant as it was a just finished building with an occupancy rate of only 2.5%.
At the time of writing the building has a lot more tennants with an occupancy rate of 68% which we sincerely hope when informed to the Immigration services will allow our I-829 to be approved

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum is also in the Amlife 1531 Utah Avenue partnership and in a similiar position to us

The crazy thing is that in a partnership such as ours the job creation is supposed to be equally spread amongst the full 118 partners which in this case the Immigration services do not appear to have followed as they have issued 54 I-829 approvals before requesting RFE information.

Upon the first I-829 that was submitted for this project they should have examined the project fully to see if the project was on course for creating the required jobs for the full 118 investors

I will post an update as more information becomes available and our Immigration lawyer works on our RFE Submission

I just wanted to post this in order that potential Investoirs are aware that their are pitfalls all the way through the EB5 visa process and even when a project has been accepted by the Immigration services for EB5 investment and the project has followed its project plan in detail pitfalls are still likely AND NOTHING IS GUARANTEED

If our I-829 is denied it will lead to a very long legal battle between Amlife and the Immigration services with us been in Limbo and unable to leave the USA until our appeal has been processed. In a lot of cases this will not be a problem but I am a merchant navy Capt and thus have to leave the USA on a regular basis to return to my vessel in Brazil in order to maintain my income

We can only hope that the RFE submission that our immigration lawyer submits with the assistance of the Amlife legal team will be enough to satisfy the Immigration services and allow our I-829 and the further 64 Investors with I-829 petitions to be approved or else we will probably have to return to the UK. It will be a wasted 4 years of our lifes and an expenditure of over 1 milion dollars (house purchase and purchase of my wife business)in a country that does not appear at the moment to appreciate outside investment.:frown:

Regards

Alan

Which law firm did you use to help you file your I-829 petitions?

eb5s Mar 22nd 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by cranston (Post 10005734)
Thanks Alan

Please keep posting, we are in the same project. We submitted I829 in Oct too and have heard nothing.

Have you heard anything yet now? Do you use the same law firm for I526 and I829?

cranston Mar 22nd 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by eb5s (Post 10619074)
Have you heard anything yet now? Do you use the same law firm for I526 and I829?

Yes, I now have an normal 10y green card and will apply for US citizenship in Sep 2014. All the legal work was done by Colombo Hurd, whom I recommend to you.
:thumbup:

eb5s Mar 22nd 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Davidle66 (Post 10231629)
Hi Alan,

I read all of posts since beginning, I invest with amlife project 1016 1st Ave South, there are 24 investors on the Project 1016 and I am almost the last three people who invest on 1016. I got a conditional Green Card and live in CA since July 30, 2010. My attorney applied for my family I-829 last month and he told me that right now 1016 has only one tenant and the occupancy just 25%. He said that the USCIS may issue an RFE for my case and there is a opportunity that USCIS may denial the I-829 of my family even the change is so small ( but who knows?)
My Family and I were shock, I spent more than 1 million to set up my family life in the State, and my Daughter loves the school system. I don't know what happen for the investors like us if the I-829 is denied. Also we could not take back our money in the AMLIFE 100% and may lose more 50% value. I sold out all of my properties in my Country and move to the State.......

Please keep updating your I-829 result. I do hope you have good news to all of us.

Have you heard anything yet? Carol