Problem getting bank info?

Old Mar 19th 2001, 10:37 pm
billypilgrim

Has anyone had a problem getting the bank info for the Affidavit of Support? I asked
my bank for a letter giving dates accounts opened, current balance, and total amount
deposited during the last year, as the form clearly requests. I even gave them copies
of all my statements so they wouldn't have to research the deposit info. And I asked
for the information in triplicate.

Well, today I received in the mail a single copy, giving the opening dates (at least
they got that right), and my 12 month average balance--which I didn't even ask for.
No current balance, no deposit history.

I am furious with them. I've been a customer for 14 years and never even asked them
for a copy of a check. (sigh). Of course, it has to go through their compliance
department, so a nameless faceless someone processed the request. They even told me
how I could get copies of statements, if I needed deposit info. Since I sent THEM
copies, it's obvious I have them!!

Mind you, I worked in a bank for three years, so I know what it's like to be on the
other side.

I realize it may not be that important, since my salary is well above the poverty
line. Still, what the INS asks for, the INS shall get.

Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow (when I'll be calm enough to
not be bitchy to some poor woman who has nothing at all to do with the whole thing).
Just wondering if anyone had similiar experiences.

The bank, by the way, is PNC.

Beth

Old Mar 19th 2001, 11:03 pm
Dan

Funny, I had this identical problem only with a bank in Canada. ( I needed it for
something off topic.) They didn't even bother to print the letter on their
letterhead, so it looked like any old Joe could have printed it.

I would go back in and ask to speak to the manager. Tell them what you are saying
here; that you have been a customer for 14 years and this is extremely important.
And that you have already tried to get this information once and it was done
incorrectly. Then tell them you will wait for them to do it for you. This is
basically what I had to do.

On something of a somewhat similar topic, I tried to cancel a MasterCard today in
preperation for my eventual arrival in the US. And oh boy, Mastercard did not like
that one bit, even when I told them why. They even offered to lower my interest rates
to keep me on. Anyways, after 20 minutes on the phone, I finally got it cancelled!
Extremely frustrating.

Dan

>
Support?
    >
balance,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
needed
    >
    >
    >
be
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
calm
    >
with
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 20th 2001, 12:16 am
billypilgrim

Thanks for the info. I plan on talking to them tomorrow. Did you eventually get what
you needed from the bank?

As an added bonus, we were pleasantly surprised (nice to have a pleasant surprise for
a change!) to find Shawn has a reasonable amount in a pension that he will transfer
over here (assuming all goes well). I suppose if push comes to shove, I can gently
point out to them that we can easily put the money (which will have to sit somewhere
for 35 years or so) in another bank.....

Having been on the other side of the window, I can honestly say that any bank (or at
least a big bank) who tells you they treat all customers the same is flat out lying.
Believe me, those who keep $100,000 or so sitting around (and business customers with
10 times that figure) DO get better treatment than the rest of us. Sad but true.

Beth

----------
in message

[usenetquote2]>> Has anyone had a problem getting the bank info for the Affidavit of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> I asked my bank for a letter giving dates accounts opened, current[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> and total amount deposited during the last year, as the form clearly requests. I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> even gave them copies of all my statements so they wouldn't have to research the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> deposit info. And I asked for the information in triplicate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Well, today I received in the mail a single copy, giving the opening dates (at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> least they got that right), and my 12 month average balance--which I didn't even[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> ask for. No current balance, no deposit history.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I am furious with them. I've been a customer for 14 years and never even asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> them for a copy of a check. (sigh). Of course, it has to go through their[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> compliance department, so a nameless faceless someone processed the request. They[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> even told me how I could get copies of statements, if I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> deposit info. Since I sent THEM copies, it's obvious I have them!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Mind you, I worked in a bank for three years, so I know what it's like to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> on the other side.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I realize it may not be that important, since my salary is well above the poverty[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> line. Still, what the INS asks for, the INS shall get.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow (when I'll be[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> enough to not be bitchy to some poor woman who has nothing at all to do[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> the whole thing). Just wondering if anyone had similiar experiences.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> The bank, by the way, is PNC.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Beth[/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 20th 2001, 2:41 am
Rete

My bank only gave me a single copy letter and didn't prove a 12 month average
balance. All the letter stated was when the account was opened and that balance as of
that date. They don't have to give you what you asked for and as a former bank
employee you should know that. Outside of the fact that it is not required if your
salary is enough to satisfy the INS requirement, the letter is only icing on the cake
and INS only wants the cake.

BTW I didn't give my now husband any copied bank statements to go with the letter or
any cancelled checks or deposit slips. I did give him a current paystub which is
direct deposit.

Don't let yourself get so upset about this. It is a minor point and it will not make
or break our I-134.

Rita

>
Support?
    >
balance,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
needed
    >
    >
    >
be
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
calm
    >
with
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 20th 2001, 8:30 am
EA

My bank also declined to include the amount deposited. They went on a bit about how
hard it would be for them (apparently they have trouble with numbers and records),
but finally settled on the company line, that this is the standard form and it's all
I can request for $5. I offered to pay more, but still no.

I'm not worried, though. I'm ok on salary, and at least my letters look official on
their bank stationary.

Kirby

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 20th 2001, 12:32 pm
RJLiles

Don't waste your time. A bank letter is not needed unless you are planning on using
"cash on hand" as the proof that you have the income required. If you are using your
salary as the requirement then just use a letter from your employer and a copy of
your most recent check stub.

>
Support?
    >
balance,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
needed
    >
    >
    >
be
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
calm
    >
with
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 20th 2001, 2:04 pm
Jonathan_ATC

Keep in mind that you only need bank info if you are using assets along with your
income to qualify. If only using income, tax returns and letter of employment OR
paystubs will suffice.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
about
    >
and
    >
standard
    >
no.
    >
    >
official
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> > Has anyone had a problem getting the bank info for the Affidavit of[/usenetquote2]
Support?
[usenetquote2]> > I asked my bank for a letter giving dates accounts opened, current[/usenetquote2]
balance,
[usenetquote2]> > and total amount deposited during the last year, as the form clearly requests. I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > even gave them copies of all my statements so they wouldn't have to research the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > deposit info. And I asked for the information in triplicate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Well, today I received in the mail a single copy, giving the opening[/usenetquote2]
dates
[usenetquote2]> > (at least they got that right), and my 12 month average balance--which I didn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > even ask for. No current balance, no deposit history.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am furious with them. I've been a customer for 14 years and never even asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > them for a copy of a check. (sigh). Of course, it has to go[/usenetquote2]
through
[usenetquote2]> > their compliance department, so a nameless faceless someone processed[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > request. They even told me how I could get copies of statements, if I[/usenetquote2]
needed
[usenetquote2]> > deposit info. Since I sent THEM copies, it's obvious I have them!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mind you, I worked in a bank for three years, so I know what it's like[/usenetquote2]
to be
[usenetquote2]> > on the other side.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I realize it may not be that important, since my salary is well above[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > poverty line. Still, what the INS asks for, the INS shall get.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow (when I'll be[/usenetquote2]
calm
[usenetquote2]> > enough to not be bitchy to some poor woman who has nothing at all to do[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > the whole thing). Just wondering if anyone had similiar experiences.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The bank, by the way, is PNC.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Beth[/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 20th 2001, 10:12 pm
billypilgrim

Thanks all; it's a bit of a relief to know it doesn't matter.

I'm not angry so much that they didn't get the info I needed (I knew that the "total
amount deposited" thing would cause them to have to break out the calculators, and
apparently the people authorized to write letters are not authorized to do math!!) It
was more the way they handled it. No one even bothered to tell me they couldn't give
me what I asked for. They did not include a cover letter saying "This is the best we
can do". They didn't even give me my current balance (which I asked for). It was
obviously a form letter with my details plugged in.

Had they said "We can't fulfill your request; would this information suffice?" I
would have smiled sweetly and said "yes." I've worked in customer service for 14
years. I know what good customer service is, and this was not.

The INS should put on the form that they only need bank info if your salary is below
a certain level, and it would save everyone a lot of grief. Still, I knew this would
be a long stressful process when we started it. Such is life. On to other things.

Thanks for all your help, Beth

----------

[usenetquote2]>> > Has anyone had a problem getting the bank info for the Affidavit of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > I asked my bank for a letter giving dates accounts opened, current[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > and total amount deposited during the last year, as the form clearly requests. I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > even gave them copies of all my statements so they wouldn't have to research the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > deposit info. And I asked for the information in triplicate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Well, today I received in the mail a single copy, giving the opening[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > (at least they got that right), and my 12 month average balance--which I didn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > even ask for. No current balance, no deposit history.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > I am furious with them. I've been a customer for 14 years and never even asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > them for a copy of a check. (sigh). Of course, it has to go[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > their compliance department, so a nameless faceless someone processed[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > request. They even told me how I could get copies of statements, if I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > deposit info. Since I sent THEM copies, it's obvious I have them!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Mind you, I worked in a bank for three years, so I know what it's like[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > on the other side.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > I realize it may not be that important, since my salary is well above[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > poverty line. Still, what the INS asks for, the INS shall get.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow (when I'll be[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > enough to not be bitchy to some poor woman who has nothing at all to do[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> > the whole thing). Just wondering if anyone had similiar experiences.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > The bank, by the way, is PNC.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Beth[/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 20th 2001, 10:21 pm
Steve V.

Yes I had this problem also. It took about 3 weeks to get on that only listed my
current balance and that I had had an account since 8/94. I just copied my last 12
months statements and attached them to this letter. I did not have ANY problem in
conjunction with the I-134.

Good luck.

>
Support?
    >
balance,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >