Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

preparing for newark AOS interview

preparing for newark AOS interview

Old Sep 24th 2001, 3:09 am
Nymsa

like the subject says, we're prepping for our newark AOS interview (to take place on
friday, 26oct01) and we've got some questions.

1. we've only been married since may and don't have any joint tax returns. should we
bring my three previous tax returns anyway? federal only, or state too?

2. do we need the other originals for the I-864 (including originals of our
co-sponsor's tax returns and stuff)?

3. my maiden name is currently on the lease, along with our roommate. we expect
mitigating circumstances to make this okay (not much time to change it since the
marriage, moving on 1dec anyway, have a roomie to help with money, plenty of
joint names on other accounts and suchlike) but were wondering if it'd been a
problem for anyone else or if we should prepare further in any way.

4. do the statements from people who know us saying that we're legitimately married,
etc. have to be notarized?

5. do they need to be from specific people or from anyone (family? friends? only
u.s. citizens or are conditional permanent residents okay? etc.)

6. does the I-551 stamp mean we don't need to file for AP? EAD?

7. how long does it tend to take to get the I-551 stamp from newark?

8. our appointment letter doesn't have the box ticked telling us to bring "evidence
of a common residence and shared life". is this common?

9. we filed an EAD application (never got a temporary one so he's still not
working). do we still need to go through with this application?

10. we have the advance parole paperwork set to go, but haven't gone to wait
overnight at newark a second time yet. should we abandon the application? is
there any way to get the money back from our money order (which we still have)
for the AP fee?

okay, ten seems a good number for now. more another time, i'm sure.

thanks in advance for the help.

--nymsa

Old Sep 24th 2001, 3:25 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, bring them anyway - you'll need them for the affidavit of support. If they ask
for State taxes, bring them. Better to have them and not need them than the other
way around.

>
    >

What "other originals" ? You can get original tax transcripts from the co-sponsor.
You'll need an original, notarized affidavit form from them as well.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

My maiden name is on everything. They asked why, we told them why. Not a problem.
Many people don't take their spouse's names after marriage, or don't get around to
changing all of the documents right away. I think you'll be OK.

>
    >

Better if they are. Did the letter you get ask for those? (Just curious - I thought
they were only used for removal of conditions, unless you don't have a whole lot of
other evidence)

>
    >

I'd get a mixture of family and friends, or co-workers or something. Variety is the
spice of life. I don't think there's a formula.

>

Yes. The I-551 stamp would be equivalent to the green-card and you won't need AP or
EADs anymore.

>
    >

Only if you don't get the stamp at the interview.

>
    >
    >
    >

They won't refund your fee, but if you get the stamp there's no reason to get AP now.

>

=)

Betastar

Old Sep 24th 2001, 2:49 pm
Nymsa

once upon a time, Betastar wrote:

first off, thanks for your help.

>
    >
[usenetquote2]>>like the subject says, we're prepping for our newark AOS interview (to take place[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>on friday, 26oct01) and we've got some questions.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 2. do we need the other originals for the I-864 (including originals of our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> co-sponsor's tax returns and stuff)?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

other originals meaning our co-sponsors income letter and so on. we sent in copies of
my dad's pension statement; i guess it's best to bring the original with us.

we shouldn't need an affidavit from them though; we submitted their I-864 with ours
when we sent in the AOS application. or am i misunderstanding and we need another
copy of it for some reason?

[usenetquote2]>> 3. my maiden name is currently on the lease, along with our roommate. we expect[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> mitigating circumstances to make this okay (not much time to change it since[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the marriage, moving on 1dec anyway, have a roomie to help with money, plenty[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> of joint names on other accounts and suchlike) but were wondering if it'd been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> a problem for anyone else or if we should prepare further in any way.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

we've changed almost everything at this point ... my main concern wasn't that the
least was in my maiden name but that his name wasn't on it at all. nothing we can
really do about that, though.

[usenetquote2]>> 4. do the statements from people who know us saying that we're legitimately[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> married, etc. have to be notarized?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

no, they didn't ask specifically. we've got our own list of things to bring compiled
from brainstorming and reading other people's checklists and experiences.

[usenetquote2]>>10. we have the advance parole paperwork set to go, but haven't gone to wait[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> overnight at newark a second time yet. should we abandon the application? is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> there any way to get the money back from our money order (which we still have)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> for the AP fee?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

i know they wouldn't refund the fee if we'd sent it in. but since we still have our
money order in our hands, i thought we might be able to bring it back to the post
office or somesuch for a refund. wishful thinking, prolly, but anything to make this
experience a bit more affordable, particularly since they're not allowing him to work
right now, would be a good thing.

thanks again,

--nymsa

Old Sep 24th 2001, 6:00 pm
Shelley

<snip)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you take the Money Order back to where it was issued, you should be able to get
the money refunded to you. Take Care. Shelley

Old Sep 25th 2001, 4:28 am
Nymsa

once upon a time, Shelley wrote:

>
[usenetquote2]>> i know they wouldn't refund the fee if we'd sent it in. but since we still have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> our money order in our hands, i thought we might be able to bring it back to the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> post office or somesuch for a refund. wishful thinking, prolly, but anything to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> make this experience a bit more affordable, particularly since they're not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> allowing him to work right now, would be a good thing.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

well that's good news. i'll have to give it a shot, depending on how the interview
goes. thanks!

--nymsa

Old Dec 7th 2001, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

icantthink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any updates?

Nymsa,
How did the interview go? Any updates?