Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:37 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Originally Posted by Leslie66
So, which cop fired the shot? The one in front or the one in the back?
The one with hair that pulls out his gun shoots him and then stands there like a moron thinking oh ****
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
As others have said the 5th amendment to the US Constitution protects one from self incrimination. Its your legal right not to talk to investigators.

He also cannot just be held in custody while the investigation takes place unless the DA has sufficient evidence to file charges, if you file too early you risk loosing the case on technical issues. Better to let the guy stay free until the time comes to file charges or clear him.

Based on watching the cop's reaction and the look on his face, it appears to me he really did not intend to discharge the car, even he seems surprised by it.

Everyone is quick to convict based on this video, but who is to say the gun did no malfunction or something else. Not defending the guy its not my job nor is it my job to decide his guilt.
Who convicted and executed Oscar Grant and what was his crime?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:49 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
the one that stands up facing the camera/cellphone
Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
The one with hair that pulls out his gun shoots him and then stands there like a moron thinking oh ****
Now I can't even open the link. BE performance issues I think.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:55 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Now I can't even open the link. BE performance issues I think.
The police cover up has already started
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Amnesty International Calls Oscar Grant Shooting a "Clear Cut Abuse of Power"

(Washington)--Oscar Grant, a 22-year old unarmed black man, was shot in the back by a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) police officer on New Year’s Day. On the day of his funeral, Dalia Hashad, director of Amnesty International USA’s identity-based discrimination program, released the following statement:

“When an unarmed man is shot in the back after police put him face down on the ground, it is the time for authorities to demand action, not patience. Days after the incident, the officer still has not been interviewed. The delay in this critical part of the investigation hints at the callousness to the worth of human life to a public that is all too familiar with racial profiling, police brutality and cover-ups. Whatever the final investigation reveals, the bottom line is that there is never justification to shoot an unarmed person, especially one who is restrained. It is an obvious violation of the most basic human rights standards, and a clear cut abuse of power.”
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by surly

(Washington)--Oscar Grant, a 22-year old unarmed black man, was shot in the back by a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) police officer on New Year’s Day. On the day of his funeral, Dalia Hashad, director of Amnesty International USA’s identity-based discrimination program, released the following statement:

“When an unarmed man is shot in the back after police put him face down on the ground, it is the time for authorities to demand action, not patience. Days after the incident, the officer still has not been interviewed. The delay in this critical part of the investigation hints at the callousness to the worth of human life to a public that is all too familiar with racial profiling, police brutality and cover-ups. Whatever the final investigation reveals, the bottom line is that there is never justification to shoot an unarmed person, especially one who is restrained. It is an obvious violation of the most basic human rights standards, and a clear cut abuse of power.”
Let me guess................. the video footage doesn't clearly show the threat the officer felt while doing his duty. Mr Grant did not comply with several commands and resisted, even threatened the poor officer who feared for his life as he did not know if Mr Grant was armed and probably incoherent on drugs. The thin blue line, every day 1000's of officers risk their lives for the public's safety etc. etc. etc
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
The police cover up has already started
I've watched it again on the bigger screen. That's messed up.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Talking back to a police officer is automatically considered resisting arrest and making terrorist threats.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The (ex) cop under discussion is the subject of numerous death-threats to both himself and his family; his family have had to go into hiding (see this article) I say this not out of any sympathy for him, but to counter the idea that somehow this guy is swanning around having a good-old-time; he'd probably be safer in jail.

If he's as guilty as he appears to be, from the information we can see in the public domain (the videos), the guy is very likely going to go down for life, and I doubt anyone will have any sympathy for him. I certainly wont.

While I don't condone the action one bit, it should be noted that the whole incident started at 2am due to gang violence on a train. I don't think these guys were returning home from a bible meeting or a bake sale ... that part of Oakland is one of the notorious 'no go' areas riddled with gang violence.

Once again, personal video recorders are proving their weight in gold. It seems that in France, you'd go to jail for taking such a video ...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:24 am
WTF?

I'm remembering something like this that happened in Dallas. A teenager shot by transit cops for (basically) being out after curfew. No film footage that I am aware of though.

Are transit cops real cops or rent-a-cops?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like or respect how 'due process' works in this country, then don't live here. 'Innocent until proven guilty' no matter what you or the rest of the public think. Lynch mob mentality is how innocent people die.

In saying that, I do think the officer deserves major jail time (or capital punishment) based on what little evidence can be viewed in the video (but I don't have the full story and wouldn't convict a man based on such evidence). It is not your call, my call, or any organization's call on how to proceed in this situation - what charges to file is the prosecutor's call and his/her's only.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jan 13th 2009 at 3:13 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Lynch mob mentality is how innocent people die.

Well that and policemen pulling out their guns and shooting unarmed people on the floor at close range
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm remembering something like this that happened in Dallas. A teenager shot by transit cops for (basically) being out after curfew. No film footage that I am aware of though.

Are transit cops real cops or rent-a-cops?
Supposedly they are real cops, for whatever that is worth.

If you have the patience to watch this through, I can personally attest that you don't have to be black for it to happen to you, but it probably helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkuF_...eature=related
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If you don't like or respect how 'due process' works in this country, then don't live here. 'Innocent until proven guilty' no matter what you or the rest of the public think. Lynch mob mentality is how innocent people die.

In saying that, I do think the officer deserves major jail time (or capital punishment) based on what little evidence can be viewed in the video (but I don't have the full story and wouldn't convict a man based on such evidence). It is not your call, my call, or any organization's call on how to proceed in this situation - what charges to file is the prosecutor's call and his/her's only.
Can you find ANY excuse for this. What due process did Oscar Grant get?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Can you find ANY excuse for this. What due process did Oscar Grant get?
What, should we just round up the officer and shoot him in the back too? The man has a right to his day in court. What don't you understand about that? The only justice that Mr Grant will get is well put-together evidence from the prosecution to ensure the officer pays his due, which does not occur overnight. Have some bloody patience, FFS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.