Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I'm making the point that a police officer has killed someone on the street, yet people are talking about the justice system doing its job. This guy should be locked up at least until they decide what to charge him with. If I killed someone on the street I would be arrested and held until my trial, I dont see why it shouldnt be the same here. This man is free to walk the streets and hasnt even been arrested or charged with anything. Apparently they are discussing possible charges and will make a decision within the next 2 weeks. It seems that this man has murdered someone, and then simply quit his job to evade having to cooperate with authorities. Surely that alone shows something about his character that he is willing to simply remain silent rather than at least try to provide an explanation. Yes, we have seen a video on the internet...but does that mean it didnt happen??
You've seen a video which is part of an incident, the shooting of the victim, and on that you decide what offence(s) have been committed and what should happen.

No doubt the investigators have considerably more evidence on which to judge the appropriate course of action. You state the man murdered someone but I have heard one explanation which would remove the element of intent and make it a lesser charge. Personally I would prefer to let the investigators gather all the available evidence and if this was a deliberate and cold blooded shooting to have the opportunity to be able to refute any defense to the contrary.

If you killed someone on the street you would be arrested and questioned. You would unless stupid decline to answer until you had spoken to a very competent lawyer. That lawyer would tell you to not answer. At detective training school one instructor said there is only one sensible answer to the first question. "If you have sufficient evidence to charge me do so otherwise I believe I am free to go". Most people who don't do that invariable hang themselves. Why do you consider this guy is not allowed the same rights as any other suspect of a crime.

They clearly do not think they have sufficient evidence to charge this guy yet. I don't think under US law you can keep someone in jail who hasn't been charged with a crime.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 12th 2009 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Any suspected criminal in the US has the right NOT to talk to the investigators. It is covered under the Fifth Amendment.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 12th 2009 at 7:33 pm. Reason: amended wording
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think he meant to pull his taser ..and fire that ..
but its not that clear from the video
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pejpm1
How very witty of you.
Lansbury has spoken for himself, and certainly doesn't need me to stand up for him.

That said, although we've never met, he and I used to know some people in common in the UK. And I'm fairly sure that he's investigated more major crimes than you have.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:59 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
That's what I was thinking.
Having said that, it's no excuse.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That's what I was thinking.
Having said that, it's no excuse.
Oh no ..he is cooked ...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:48 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
but its not that clear from the video
But still, why would he need to taser someone who is already on the ground and restrained? Odd reaction I know, but still, the investigation ect should still be due process.

And after all we wouldnt even be having this conversation if it werent for the fact that it got video'd.. I'm sure this kind of thing happens alot more often, but we just dont hear about it!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:50 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
But still, why would he need to taser someone who is already on the ground and restrained? Odd reaction I know, but still, the investigation ect should still be due process.

And after all we wouldnt even be having this conversation if it werent for the fact that it got video'd.. I'm sure this kind of thing happens alot more often, but we just dont hear about it!
From the video it looks like there is fighting still going on ..
but it will all come out eventually
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:21 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
From the video it looks like there is fighting still going on ..
but it will all come out eventually
I couldn't tell which cop fired the shot. Which one was it?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm making the point that a police officer has killed someone on the street, yet people are talking about the justice system doing its job. This guy should be locked up at least until they decide what to charge him with. If I killed someone on the street I would be arrested and held until my trial, I dont see why it shouldnt be the same here. This man is free to walk the streets and hasnt even been arrested or charged with anything. Apparently they are discussing possible charges and will make a decision within the next 2 weeks. It seems that this man has murdered someone, and then simply quit his job to evade having to cooperate with authorities. Surely that alone shows something about his character that he is willing to simply remain silent rather than at least try to provide an explanation. Yes, we have seen a video on the internet...but does that mean it didnt happen?? This journalist puts it fairly succinctly..
In California, if you are arrested or taken into custody, the law says you must be arraigned (ie. formally charged) within 48 business hours of being taken into custody (while still in custody that is, this does not apply if the suspect has posted bail). If the DA doesn't file formal charges by that time, the suspect is free to go with no obligation at that time to any legal due process (of course, the suspect may be formally charged, via warrant, at a later date for the crime, at which point, again, the same rule applies about being arraigned.) A suspect can not just be arbitrarily kept in custody while the police and DA decide what to file, that is a violation of due process and is a major point in our Constitution. The suspect is not obligated to speak with anyone as is his or her right under the Fifth Amendment.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You've seen a video which is part of an incident, the shooting of the victim, and on that you decide what offence(s)

They clearly do not think they have sufficient evidence to charge this guy yet. I don't think under US law you can keep someone in jail who hasn't been charged with a crime.
What evidence was there to shoot Oscar Grant in the back?

Oscar Grant, young father and peacemaker, executed by BART police

http://www.sfbayview.com/2009/oscar-...y-bart-police/
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:02 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
What evidence was there to shoot Oscar Grant in the back?

Oscar Grant, young father and peacemaker, executed by BART police

http://www.sfbayview.com/2009/oscar-...y-bart-police/
Let's face it they're always at it and/or on the take. We only get to see the tip of the iceberg of the ones that actually get caught. Charges are only filed when they get caught red handed on video, even then they try and worm themselves out of it with some lawyer arguing what you see is not the whole story, blah blah blah
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:29 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

So, which cop fired the shot? The one in front or the one in the back?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:33 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
So, which cop fired the shot? The one in front or the one in the back?
the one that stands up facing the camera/cellphone
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said the 5th amendment to the US Constitution protects one from self incrimination. Its your legal right not to talk to investigators.

He also cannot just be held in custody while the investigation takes place unless the DA has sufficient evidence to file charges, if you file too early you risk loosing the case on technical issues. Better to let the guy stay free until the time comes to file charges or clear him.

Based on watching the cop's reaction and the look on his face, it appears to me he really did not intend to discharge the car, even he seems surprised by it.

Everyone is quick to convict based on this video, but who is to say the gun did no malfunction or something else. Not defending the guy its not my job nor is it my job to decide his guilt.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 13th 2009 at 1:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.