POE question

Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

mtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nice
Question POE question

Getting ahead of myself here, but I have a question about POE. I'm a USC w/ CDN spouse, interviewed Nov 4 and refused for further proof of domicile. Submitted further proof (recently) and am awaiting visa (hopefully).

If/when we receive the visa, can we cross the border (it's about an hour from us by car) TOGETHER and come back TOGETHER to finish up things? (That is all with the understanding that we are granted a standard, six-month time frame to complete our move to the U.S.)

I want to know if it's advisable to get POE done with straight away, or just wait and do it when you're actually in the moving truck, headed to the US.

Thanks, K
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE question

Originally Posted by mtlmama
Getting ahead of myself here, but I have a question about POE. I'm a USC w/ CDN spouse, interviewed Nov 4 and refused for further proof of domicile. Submitted further proof (recently) and am awaiting visa (hopefully).

If/when we receive the visa, can we cross the border (it's about an hour from us by car) TOGETHER and come back TOGETHER to finish up things? (That is all with the understanding that we are granted a standard, six-month time frame to complete our move to the U.S.)

I want to know if it's advisable to get POE done with straight away, or just wait and do it when you're actually in the moving truck, headed to the US.

Thanks, K
It's not really a 6-month time frame to complete the move to the USA. The Immigrant Visa is valid for 6 months. That means he has 6 months to use that visa to enter the USA.

You can do it either way:

1) You both enter the USA for a brief time, to activate his PR status and get some things set up in the USA. You MUST enter the USA either before him or with him. He cannot enter the USA ahead of you or without you on his first trip over. Then you can return to Canada to finish up things there...just don't stay away from the USA for too long....no more than 6 months for sure. Or;

2) You can finish things up in Canada right after he gets his visa, as long as it won't take more than 6 months. As long as he enters the USA at some point before the visa expires (6 months from date of issue), he's fine. There's really no NEED to go early just to activate his PR status...you can wait in Canada together and then just make one trip together when you're ready (of course within the 6 months of his visa validity).

Rene