Please, in plain English

Old May 8th 2009, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

RavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant future
Default Please, in plain English

I want to marry my American gf who lives in Pensylvannia, we plan to get married in the states. Could someone please outline the options available in plain English so I may follow up my favoured route? New here and dont understand all the jargon and abbreviations yet...My first thought is get married then come back to the UK to apply for visa whilst i tie up everything back home.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please, in plain English

Your first thought is good. Use the IR1 immigrant visa. Will take 8-10 months after you're married.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RavenUK
I want to marry my American gf who lives in Pensylvannia, we plan to get married in the states. Could someone please outline the options available in plain English so I may follow up my favoured route? New here and dont understand all the jargon and abbreviations yet...My first thought is get married then come back to the UK to apply for visa whilst i tie up everything back home.
That works. Since you have to tie up loose ends in the UK and don't mind being apart for the 6 to 10 months, then it works and works well. You would enter the US as a conditional permanent resident with the right to live, work and travel outside of the US (travel is time limited however).

There is also the Fiancee Visa which will take about 6 to 8 months to obtain and then when it is issued you enter the US, get married and have the right to remain in the US with your spouse while you apply for permanent residency.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your plan sounds like the right one. Come to the USA on the VWP, get married, leave before your 90 days is up, and then move back to the USA when you have your Immigrant Visa in hand. As fatbrit says, about an 8 - 10 month process from start to finish.

As for learning the process and the jargon, READ A LOT. That's the only way. Even if we explain it now in plain simple English, you'll still be reading all the jargon on the forms and here in the posts. You'll need to learn them.

Rene
Old May 8th 2009, 5:44 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

fb,

It would likely be a CR1 immigrant visa, but that's of no consequence with respect to the visa itself.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Your first thought is good. Use the IR1 immigrant visa. Will take 8-10 months after you're married.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
fb,

It would likely be a CR1 immigrant visa, but that's of no consequence with respect to the visa itself.

Regards, JEff
Mea culpa! Well spotted! Time for another coffee I think.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1
Old May 8th 2009, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

RavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant futureRavenUK has a brilliant future

Well thats it then, just gotta get married now and take it from there. Im thinkin shell have to apply for a marriage license to start though or do we just go and do it?
Old May 8th 2009, 5:56 pm
Septicity

Well thats it then, just gotta get married now and take it from there. Im thinkin shell have to apply for a marriage license to start though or do we just go and do it?
Unlike immigration, marriage is a state issue. Fifty states and couple of odds and ends equals that many possible replies.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go... Pa marriage license requirements:

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag...nnsylvania.htm
Old May 8th 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Ok, i'll look into P.A laws, well that should keep her busy a while...Hehe
Old May 8th 2009, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Here you go... Pa marriage license requirements:

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag...nnsylvania.htm
Great, thanks
Old May 8th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

This must be a first, someone wants to come to the US, has a plan and everyone agrees it is the way to go.

Good luck with the wedding.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norri
This must be a first, someone wants to come to the US, has a plan and everyone agrees it is the way to go.

Good luck with the wedding.
Ummm...Am i missing something here? And thaks for the congrats

Last edited by RavenUK; May 8th 2009 at 6:20 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm...Am i missing something here? And thaks for the congrats
It's OK....not everyone plans this all out so well, so you're making us happy here.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.