Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

please help, denied us tourist visa in belfast

Wikiposts

please help, denied us tourist visa in belfast

Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please help, denied us tourist visa in belfast

Originally Posted by DanielMDQ
Hi guys! this is Daniel from Argentina...

i have the exact same situation, i went to the US embassy in Buenos Aires to get a tourist visa to travell with my argentinian passport, since i didn't want to wait until May when i'm getting my italian passport that would let me use the VWP, (i'm italian too, since my gradnma is italian and i could get the citizenship).

But for being stupid and wanted to rush things, i didn't wait for the sure thing, and i risk it trying to get the visa, and i totally ****ed up everything.

If anybody can tell me his/her experience about going to the US with a denied visa under the VWP it would be great, I want to know what the border inspector asked at the airport, etc
Because if ESTA approves my application i'm willing to go and pray that they won't send me back home lol

(redlemon, i saw that ur ESTA got approved, did you answer with a YES to the question that u had a visa denial or u lied lol)

Thanks Everyone!
You precise situation is quite common -- Argentina used to be a VWP country and was removed from the list; a fair number of Argentinians have claims to Italian nationality. I understand that those Italian passports are somewhat slow in coming. A law school classmate is quite curious since her daughter-out-law is in the same situation.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

bignames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by redlemon
Hi, im sorry to bring this up again, but i applied for the us tourist visa (6 months) and it was declined for having no strong ties to the uk.

i now wish to travel under the esta but i assume it will not let me because i have been denied a visa..does that mean the only way i can travel to America is by going back to the embassy and getting the tourist visa? and going through that same procedure?

i am so frustrated with myself, i should have just went for the 90 days visa free and saved myself so much hassle, i am afraid i wont be able to show strong ties, which means no entry!!

can anyone shed some fresh light on this for me please....it seems a little silly that almost anyone from the uk can go visa free for 3 months, yet as soon as they want to extend that an extra 3 months it gets complicated...
Daniel what have you found out? I have the same situation with my friend. He was denied 3 years ago a visa, He finally just got his italian passport, and we were making travel plans and this ESta form came up. Does he say no he was not denied a visa, which under his Italian passport he was not. Or does he say yes, because with his Argentine passport he was. I am seeing an immigration attorney here in the usa, to ask. I am disgusted with this and the gov here. I filled out an esta form and made up everything just to see, guess what it was approved, with all fake info.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bignames
Daniel what have you found out? I have the same situation with my friend. He was denied 3 years ago a visa, He finally just got his italian passport, and we were making travel plans and this ESta form came up. Does he say no he was not denied a visa, which under his Italian passport he was not. Or does he say yes, because with his Argentine passport he was. I am seeing an immigration attorney here in the usa, to ask. I am disgusted with this and the gov here. I filled out an esta form and made up everything just to see, guess what it was approved, with all fake info.
He was denied a visa, not his Argentinian Passport.

Simple
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

bignames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
He was denied a visa, not his Argentinian Passport.

Simple
He was denied a visa as a argentine citizen with his argentine passport. Now he has DUEL citizenship , Citizen of Italy and a citizen of Argentina. He will be traveling on his italian passport since Italy is a Visa waiver country (I would assume as an italian citizen then) The question have you been denied a visa one would answer???? That is the issue. AS an Argentine citizen yes would be the answer, but now being an italian citizen with an italian passport, could you answer no? That is what my meeting with the attorney will have to answer. We do not want to fill out that form until I have a legal answer, sorry to say that I do not trust DHS, and this country is the land of the legal loopholes.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He was denied a visa as a argentine citizen with his argentine passport. Now he has DUEL citizenship , Citizen of Italy and a citizen of Argentina. He will be traveling on his italian passport since Italy is a Visa waiver country (I would assume as an italian citizen then) The question have you been denied a visa one would answer???? That is the issue. AS an Argentine citizen yes would be the answer, but now being an italian citizen with an italian passport, could you answer no? That is what my meeting with the attorney will have to answer. We do not want to fill out that form until I have a legal answer, sorry to say that I do not trust DHS, and this country is the land of the legal loopholes.
You answered your own question
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:24 pm
Banned

DanielMDQ is an unknown quantity at this point

HI BIG NAMES!!

say the truth, i've been reading a LOT, u have to say YES to the denied visa question, at the airport they will know anyway, and if he lied it's worst.

If the Esta comes approved there are high chances he will get into the country, he will just need to explain why his visa got denied, and show some evidence, tell him to bring everything he can to show the port of entry officer

but, PLEASE, always say the truth, never try to hide that u got a visa denial, they will know you're lying and they will send him back to Argentina, just say the truth, and there are high chances he will be authorized to enter in the country.

Big names, could u PLEASE send me a private message here with ur MSN address? i'd love to be in contact with you since we have exactly the same case.

BY THE WAY, I DID THE SAME THING AS YOU, i completed the ESTA thing with all fake information to see what happened, i entered a fake name, fake passport number, i said i was lituanhian, etc, etc, and i put YES to the visa denial question, and i wrote it was deniad this month at the US embassy in argentina, and after 3 hours, it came back approved

Please give me ur MSN by private message so we can keep in contact
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:30 pm
Banned

DanielMDQ is an unknown quantity at this point

By The way, I got this from the US CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION SITE, here u have ur answer Big Names, don't waste your money with an attorney

Many people make the mistake of thinking that if they were denied a visa when they were a citizen of one country, then become a citizen of another country, they can travel to the U.S. under the visa waiver program using their new passport. That is wrong. The eligibility question about having been denied a visa does not ask whether or not the denial was made after you became a citizen of another country. It asks, "Have you ever been denied a visa?" - period. If you answer "No" then we determine that you have been denied a visa in the past, we consider that to be fraud, and you will be barred from entry for a number of years. It is better to admit the truth, and then apply for a visa, then go through the experience of being deported for fraud.

source:https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs...i=&p_topview=1

as i told you, i've been investigating this issue since the day they denied me the visa (feb 2nd, wish i could turn back time and just wait for the italian passport...idiot me, slap!)
and you need to declare your denied visa, in the ESTA application, and in the form you will have to fill on the plane and give it to the port of entry officer with ur passport,
He will be sent to secondary inspection, they will ask him questions, etc, but there are chances he will be allowed to enter the country
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

You may not trust DHS, but they are the gatekeeper -- and an applicant for admission needs THEIR trust. There are two old cases in the "E" treaty investor arena where people tried to take advantage of dual citizenship with Italy -- it did NOT work.

In the 2003 "special registration" anti-terrorism effort, Israelis born in Iran were required to register as Iranians even though they entered the US on Israeli passports.

You are looking for a "loophole" that does not exist.

Final comment -- there are many Argetinians who have now obtained Italian passports. If nothing else, the immigration authorities are aware of patterns. Saying "no" when the pattern creates a high probability that the correct answer is "yes" will cause suspicion in of itself.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He was denied a visa...
Both citizenship and passport are irrelevant.

The question does not ask if you were denied a visa but now can travel on a different passport. It asks if you have ever been denied a visa. Full stop. End of story.

He *WAS* denied a visa. He must disclose this. To put down anything else - anything at all, is a lie.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

mintprata is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.
I'm a Singaporean who experienced the exact same problem as the thread starter.

Basically, I've applied for a B2 Visa on Wed morning and got rejected.
When I get back home, I applied for ESTA. Application was pended till midnight before it was approved.

I am planning for a trip next weekend and is really worried the clearance at the POE.

A few questions to ask people who have experiences.

1) What questions should I prepared at the POE?
2) Thread starter: Have u visited US already? What was the outcome?

Hope to hear from everyone soon.
Thanks!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mintprata
What will you be doing here? How long do you intend to stay? Where are you going to stay? How much money did you bring with you? Show me proof that you have a ticket home.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:35 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

So if someone is born Argentinian.... and then later in life becomes Italian..... and then someone asks them if they were ever born.... they can say no..... because they weren't born as an Italian..... ?

That doesn't make much sense either. When a question includes the words "Have you ever" it means just that. It is not appropriate to rationalize an incorrect response by qualifying or modifying the question in your head.

I wouldn't suggest a dishonest approach when traveling without a visa. They can essentially just send you back for any reason they can think of. Don't squander your credibility before you even get to the border.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:14 pm
Banned

liu856 is an unknown quantity at this point

seek for a review?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:57 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: please help, denied us tourist visa in belfast

Originally Posted by mintprata
Hi there.
I'm a Singaporean who experienced the exact same problem as the thread starter.

Basically, I've applied for a B2 Visa on Wed morning and got rejected.
When I get back home, I applied for ESTA. Application was pended till midnight before it was approved.

I am planning for a trip next weekend and is really worried the clearance at the POE.

A few questions to ask people who have experiences.

2) Thread starter: Have u visited US already? What was the outcome?

Hope to hear from everyone soon.
Thanks!
Why would you want a B-2 visa when Singaporeans can use the visa waiver? How long are you planning to visit the States for....and are you a young person, what are your ties to Singapore?

I live in the US and Singapore (although I'm British) and I'm aware that it's rare for young Singaporeans to be able to afford to buy or rent their own properties and usually live with their parents until they get married, or even when newly married.

Therefore, what the POE officers are looking at is if you are likely to overstay in the US if you don't have strong ties such as a mortgage or rental agreement, job etc. which you can prove you are not going to abandon.

Have you completed your National Service if you are a guy? Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend in the US? How long can you afford to be a tourist in the US...again more than 90 days is considered a long time.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:04 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: please help, denied us tourist visa in belfast

Originally Posted by redlemon
i do not need to go for the 6 months, i only wanted to give myself the opportunity to extend my trip as you cant apply for the 6 month visa from inside the us...i now only wish to go for 90 days...

i am 23 and have not yet purchased a house which is from what i understand the most important of ties....apart from that i have everything a citizen of the uk might have - car (not a very good one), bank accounts(with sufficient funds) and job etc. i dont think i represented myself very well but i didn't really get the chance, the officer literally looked at me for 1-2mins before giving me the sheet of paper saying i was denied..

no, i went to the us March last year for 10days and November for 10days...i have a friend who lives in New York..

thanks
If I were you and still intended to visit the US, I would fly to New York by taking either an Aer Lingus flight or Continental Airlines flight (to JFK and EWR - Newark respectively) by flying from the Republic of Ireland...

These flights briefly stop at Shannon where there are US Immigration (and I believe now there's also US Customs) based at Shannon airport. You are pre-cleared for entry to the US and the flights are treated as domestic arrivals once they arrive in New York (or NJ).

If you are denied entry to the US by the US Immigration officials at Shannon, ok you've lost the price of your air ticket - as I doubt airlines would give a refund...but hey, you haven't had to fly across the Atlantic in the first place and it's an easier trip to go home again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.