Please help!

Old Feb 18th 2001, 6:27 pm
JoJo

Hello everyone. Currently my husband and I are waiting for our AOS interview. We got
married on a visa waiver. His son is here visiting and is due to go home in 3 weeks;
however, we received a phone call from my husband's ex mother-in-law telling us not to
send him home because Social Services and the police have been involved in his ex-wife's
business. Apparently, she's been leaving the kids on their own and possibly is doing drugs
with a boyfriend that is much younger than her. Now, how would I keep the boy here legally
and bring his two other minor children over here? My husband is a non-status alien, and I
know I can do something as a step mom, but I'm not sure I have any way of bringing them
here soon to keep those poor kids out of danger. My husband is beside himself with worry.
He said she was always a good mum, and he doesn't know what has happened. The only thing
he could think of is that she is on drugs. Please give me any suggestions you may have.
Thank you in advance.

JoJo

Old Feb 21st 2001, 12:09 pm
Andy Platt

Here are the guidelines for bringing children to the US:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/child.htm

Basically for unmarried children under 21 where the marriage took place before the
children were 18 you can sponsor them. You would file an I-130 for the children outside of
the US and an I-130/I-485 as you've done for your husband for the child in the US. The
children outside the US would then be eligible to get immigrant visas at the consulate in
their home country. Here's general I-130 info.:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...806/index.html

Note that this does not change any custody requirements there may be so you'll need to
look into that side of things too.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> Hello everyone. Currently my husband and I are waiting for our AOS interview. We got
> married on a visa waiver. His son is here visiting and is due to go home in 3 weeks;
> however, we received a phone call from my husband's ex mother-in-law telling us not to
> send him home because Social Services and the police have been involved in his ex-wife's
> business. Apparently, she's been leaving the kids on their own and possibly is doing
> drugs with a boyfriend that is much younger than her. Now, how would I
keep
> the boy here legally and bring his two other minor children over here? My husband is a
> non-status alien, and I know I can do something as a step
mom,
> but I'm not sure I have any way of bringing them here soon to keep those poor kids out
> of danger. My husband is beside himself with worry. He
said
> she was always a good mum, and he doesn't know what has happened. The
only
> thing he could think of is that she is on drugs. Please give me any suggestions you may
> have. Thank you in advance.
>
> JoJo

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 3:17 am
Diane M

This would be a good time to talk to a lawyer. If your husband doesn't have full custody
and you keep his son here beyond the 3 weeks you may be committing a crime. This could
interfere with your husband's application for residency. Would it be possible to have the
children's grandparents, or even neighbors, step in to check on their welfare while you're
working this out? Good luck.

Diane

JoJo wrote:

> Hello everyone. Currently my husband and I are waiting for our AOS interview. We got
> married on a visa waiver. His son is here visiting and is due to go home in 3 weeks;
> however, we received a phone call from my husband's ex mother-in-law telling us not to
> send him home because Social Services and the police have been involved in his ex-wife's
> business. Apparently, she's been leaving the kids on their own and possibly is doing
> drugs with a boyfriend that is much younger than her. Now, how would I keep the boy here
> legally and bring his two other minor children over here? My husband is a non-status
> alien, and I know I can do something as a step mom, but I'm not sure I have any way of
> bringing them here soon to keep those poor kids out of danger. My husband is beside
> himself with worry. He said she was always a good mum, and he doesn't know what has
> happened. The only thing he could think of is that she is on drugs. Please give me any
> suggestions you may have. Thank you in advance.
>
> JoJo