paperwork for marriage in china?

Old Feb 21st 2001, 11:58 am
Tony

Hello,

I am attempting to get the paperwork I need to get married in Shanghai, PRC. I was told I
need proof that I an single, which I can get from the local government office, Vital
Statistics. I then need to have this proof inspected or certified from the Chinese Embassy
in the US (nearest Chinese Consulate I guess?) and the Foreign Affairs office. Does anyone
know anything about this process? Where do I get these things done? I am in Buffalo, NY. I
am also doing the fiance visa application with INS, but that another matter. This
paperwork I am asking about is needed for a Chinese citizen to marry a foeigner in China.
Any insight anyone might have to this process would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony Z.

Old Feb 21st 2001, 6:45 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Tony wrote:
> I am attempting to get the paperwork I need to get married in Shanghai, PRC. I was told
> I need proof that I an single, which I can get from the local government office, Vital
> Statistics. I then need to have this proof inspected or certified from the Chinese
> Embassy in the US (nearest Chinese Consulate I guess?) and the Foreign Affairs office.
> Does anyone know anything about this process? Where do I get these things done? I am in
> Buffalo, NY. I am also doing the fiance visa application with INS, but that another
> matter. This paperwork I am asking about is needed for a Chinese citizen to marry a
> foeigner in China. Any insight anyone might have to this process would be appreciated.
>
From my visa file, two old posts on this subject:
===
china

Yes, I was married in China last February. The process is very straightforwared. Take your
passport, birth certificate and divorce papers (if applicable) with you. You will need to
visit the American Embassy and request a notarized letter certificating that you are free
to marry and are not currently married. They will do this for you. You will then submit
your papers and those of your fiancee to the authorities. They will process your papers
and immediately schedule a physical exam for you. She does not need one. It then takes
about a week or so to receive a reply. Once you are approved, you will return to that
office and sign the papers. That is about
it.

single certificate:

In the U.S. you can obtain a document from the secretary of state that says you were never
married. It is called an Apostille and I received one from the Los Angeles county clerk
office in a month for $12 and did it all by mail. It is exactly the proof you are looking
for and I don't think a letter from you is going to do the job. (Anyone could write a
letter.) Nor are tax forms or a letter from your church.
===
alvena

Old Feb 21st 2001, 11:15 pm
MoonRose13

Dear Tony,

<< I am attempting to get the paperwork I need to get married in Shanghai, PRC. I was told
I need proof that I an single, which I can get from the local government office, Vital
Statistics. I then need to have this proof inspected or certified from the Chinese Embassy
in the US (nearest Chinese Consulate I guess?) and the Foreign Affairs office. Does anyone
know anything about this process? Where do I get these things done? I am in Buffalo, NY. I
am also doing the fiance visa application with INS, but that another matter. This
paperwork I am asking about is needed for a Chinese citizen to marry a foeigner in China.
Any insight anyone might have to this process would be appreciated. >>

Do you have access to Yahoo? There is an egroup there for Americans and their Asian
spouses or fiance/ees. It is a select group of people. The moderator has to approve your
membership. I think it would be perfect for you. Most of the people there are going
through or went through what you are beginning to
do. There posts would be very informative to you. Here is the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asian_American_Couples

it might take a few days to get into the group. Something was wrong with Yahoo when I
tried to join the group. The moderator did everything he could to get me to the Boards.
And it worked. So be patient if you decide you want to join. I know this group would be
very helpful to you.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 1:00 am
Todd A. Brown

> Yes, I was married in China last February. The process is very straightforwared. Take
> your passport, birth certificate and divorce papers (if applicable) with you. You will
> need to visit the American Embassy and request a notarized letter certificating that you
> are free to marry and are not currently married. They will do this for you. You will
> then submit your papers and those of your fiancee to the authorities. They will process
> your papers and immediately schedule a physical exam for you. She does not need one. It
> then takes about a week or so to receive a reply. Once you are approved, you will return
> to that office and sign the papers. That is about it.
>
> single certificate: In the U.S. you can obtain a document from the secretary of state
> that says you were never married. It is called an Apostille and I received one from the
> Los Angeles county clerk office in a month for $12 and did it all by mail. It is
> exactly the proof you are looking for and I don't think a letter from you is going to
> do the job. (Anyone could write a letter.) Nor are tax forms or a letter from your
> church. alvena

I was married in China in 1999. It is very straight forward. I do remember having to go to
a few different offices in China. The only thing I didn't like was the blood test. All the
forms you need to get here are easy to get also. I did it all in about two days here in
Boston. In China I had to go to a government office and sign a few papers. The lady who
was in Charge of the office even took some pictures of my wife and I when we were done.

Any help I can give let me know

Allen B [email protected]

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 4:44 am
Tony

Thanks all....this will get me started.

Tony

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to get the paperwork I need to get married in Shanghai,
PRC.
> I was told I need proof that I an single, which I can get from the local government
> office, Vital Statistics. I then need to have this proof inspected or certified from the
> Chinese Embassy in the US (nearest Chinese Consulate I guess?) and the Foreign Affairs
> office. Does anyone know anything about this process? Where do I get these things done?
> I am in Buffalo, NY. I am also doing the fiance visa application with INS, but
that
> another matter. This paperwork I am asking about is needed for a Chinese citizen to
> marry a foeigner in China. Any insight anyone might have to
this
> process would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks Tony Z.