Passport name change?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Passport name change?

I am in the US applying for adjustment of status with the I-485 based on a relative petition. Since I just got married, my name has changed and I was wondering if I need to think about getting a new passport with my new name. Is this necessary if I want to travel or use it as ID in certain situations? If so, how can I do this from the US? I think you usually have to send your old passport away to get a new one, but I don't like that idea because it contains my current Visa and etc.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:48 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport name change?

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I am in the US applying for adjustment of status with the I-485 based on a relative petition. Since I just got married, my name has changed and I was wondering if I need to think about getting a new passport with my new name. Is this necessary if I want to travel or use it as ID in certain situations? If so, how can I do this from the US? I think you usually have to send your old passport away to get a new one, but I don't like that idea because it contains my current Visa and etc.

Thanks!
Passports can be renewed in the US - information can be found here.

You will get the old passport back with your new one.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Passports can be renewed in the US - information can be found here.

You will get the old passport back with your new one.
Thanks for the info and website link!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Thanks for the info and website link!
It's not urgent that you change your passport name, anyway. You can do it at your leisure, whenever you have the funds to do so.

If you want to travel internationally, you will need to just make sure your ticket is purchased in the name which is on your passport. The name on your ticket must match the name on your passport.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's not urgent that you change your passport name, anyway. You can do it at your leisure, whenever you have the funds to do so.

If you want to travel internationally, you will need to just make sure your ticket is purchased in the name which is on your passport. The name on your ticket must match the name on your passport.

Rene
Okay, thank you! That makes things easier! I've got so much going on financially and with forms etc, I was hoping I wouldn't have to change it right away.