Medical Examination Fees

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Medical Examination Fees

I just went to have a medical examination as required for my I-485 application. I was told in advance that the exam would cost $200 and they sent me a form with the tests/vaccines I would need. When I got there, all they did was give me the general physical exam and I was told that I had to go somewhere else to have the tests and vaccines. So now I have to go and pay the health department to have the actual tests done on top of the $200 I already paid. Is this normal? Do costs vary depending on the Physician you see?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Examination Fees

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I just went to have a medical examination as required for my I-485 application. I was told in advance that the exam would cost $200 and they sent me a form with the tests/vaccines I would need. When I got there, all they did was give me the general physical exam and I was told that I had to go somewhere else to have the tests and vaccines. So now I have to go and pay the health department to have the actual tests done on top of the $200 I already paid. Is this normal? Do costs vary depending on the Physician you see?
Yes, costs vary depending on the doctor. Each doctor can charge his own different fee.

Vaccinations are seperate from the cost of the medical. If you need vaccinations, you can get them done through your own doctor and your own insurance plan. Take the results to the USCIS doctor.

I would think the USCIS doctor could still do the vaccinations anyway....I wonder why he couldn't? It would be more expensive than a county health department, but still...

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, costs vary depending on the doctor. Each doctor can charge his own different fee.

Vaccinations are seperate from the cost of the medical. If you need vaccinations, you can get them done through your own doctor and your own insurance plan. Take the results to the USCIS doctor.

I would think the USCIS doctor could still do the vaccinations anyway....I wonder why he couldn't? It would be more expensive than a county health department, but still...

Rene
Yes, it was strange. I went to my regular practice because they have a doctor who does the immigration medicals, but I think the doctor and nurse I saw just assumed I didn't have a regular physician. I guess my complaint is that I was under the impression that I was going to have everything done through them, and that I wouldn't have to pay extra to have the tests done. I don't really see what I got for my $200 today!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

What if I don't have the money for the tests? I already had to get the $200 from a family member. Is there any waiver?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What if I don't have the money for the tests? I already had to get the $200 from a family member. Is there any waiver?
It's possible that you might qualify for a waiver from USCIS fees, but I don't know if that applies to the cost of your medical.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:13 pm

If you're still a student, perhaps your on-campus health care facility can do the vaccinations at a discount?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:35 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

also check out your local health dept - most of them you can get free or at nominal charge