Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Paperwork backlog could prevent millions from voting

Paperwork backlog could prevent millions from voting

Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Paperwork backlog could prevent millions from voting

More than a million people who want to vote in November's general election probably won't get the chance because of a delay in processing applications to become U.S. citizens, according to the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The dream of voting in the upcoming presidential election -- along with a scheduled increase in fees -- motivated 1.4 million people across the country to apply after June 1 last year to become naturalized U.S. citizens -- double the previous year's number, the bureau said.
The huge jump in applications also increased the time normally needed to process them from about seven months to as many as 18 months.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/...ote/index.html
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork backlog could prevent millions from voting

Good timing for the government that
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
More than a million people who want to vote in November's general election probably won't get the chance because of a delay in processing applications to become U.S. citizens, according to the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The dream of voting in the upcoming presidential election -- along with a scheduled increase in fees -- motivated 1.4 million people across the country to apply after June 1 last year to become naturalized U.S. citizens -- double the previous year's number, the bureau said.
The huge jump in applications also increased the time normally needed to process them from about seven months to as many as 18 months.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/...ote/index.html
I have been told that to be able to vote in SC I would have to have become a US Citzen 45 days prior to the election which cuts it down even more. I have accepted/ resigned myself to the fact that I will not be voting.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Aycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud of

It's good to see the media mentioning the situation regularly - it can't hurt!

I've just discovered that in Oklahoma registraton to vote has to be at least 25 days before the election, which is better than I expected.

I'm still not counting any chickens though.

N400 to TSC 26 July 2007
NOA 26 Nov 07
FP (1) 17 Dec 07 (Oklahoma City)
FP re-take 22 January 2008
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
More than a million people who want to vote in November's general election probably won't get the chance...
For anyone following the news, this is a bit old. The original story broke about a week and a half ago. I'm surprised that CNN is only now getting around to it. Still, it's informative.

Ian