Overstayed VWP - questions

Old May 17th 2012, 11:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overstayed VWP - questions

Originally Posted by Ragnox
At my interview in New York they told me I wouldn't be able to gain entrance again and this would be my last visit on the VWP. They basically told me I was abusing the VWP.

I didn't think I was abusing it. You cant argue with them though only debate.
This doesn't address how an immigration official made you overstay, though...?

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

At my interview in New York they told me I wouldn't be able to gain entrance again and this would be my last visit on the VWP. They basically told me I was abusing the VWP.

True, there's probably no arguing with them. It does rather beg the question of why they thought you were abusing the VWP though.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ragnox is an unknown quantity at this point

From the first visit to the US back in 09 until my overstay in 2011 I was coming to the US on VWP. I was staying for 3 months then going back to the UK for 2 months then coming back for 3 months and then going home for 2. I did this multiple times Until one day they detained me and interviewed me to find out why I was doing it.

They allowed me entry but said I wouldn't get permission to enter if I came again. They just didn't like the fact I was staying out for so little time. I had everything in order enough money for my visits but they still maintained it was abuse.

I mean why issue a visa that's valid for 2 years if your not allowed to re-enter so many times? I never read anything that said I couldn't re-enter I didn't see any information to say it was capped with a limit of visits. I haven't cost the US any money haven't worked here haven't committed crimes. Still as I said you cant argue with them.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From the first visit to the US back in 09 until my overstay in 2011 I was coming to the US on VWP. I was staying for 3 months then going back to the UK for 2 months then coming back for 3 months and then going home for 2. I did this multiple times Until one day they detained me and interviewed me to find out why I was doing it.

They allowed me entry but said I wouldn't get permission to enter if I came again. They just didn't like the fact I was staying out for so little time. I had everything in order enough money for my visits but they still maintained it was abuse.
Yep, this is usually considered abusing the VWP, since you end up spending more time inside the USA than outside.

I mean why issue a visa that's valid for 2 years if your not allowed to re-enter so many times?
But you didn't even have a visa. VWP = Visa Waiver Program, meaning no visa required. Perhaps you had a 2-year ESTA approval...that is not related to how often you can use the VWP.

I never read anything that said I couldn't re-enter I didn't see any information to say it was capped with a limit of visits. I haven't cost the US any money haven't worked here haven't committed crimes. Still as I said you cant argue with them.
Yep, there's nothing like that in writing. That's on purpose, to give the POE officers the authority to make the decision based on their own instincts.

I still fail to see how an Immigration Official caused you to overstay, though?

Rene
Old May 18th 2012, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Well I suppose in a sense they didn't. From how the Immigration officer was at the time of my interview I just figured what do I have to lose by overstaying. He made it perfectly clear I wouldn't get to enter again if I tried.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Further more if I had a refusal of entry on my record that's no worse than a ban for the overstay anyway!
Old May 18th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

I mean why issue a visa that's valid for 2 years if your not allowed to re-enter so many times? I never read anything that said I couldn't re-enter I didn't see any information to say it was capped with a limit of visits. I haven't cost the US any money haven't worked here haven't committed crimes. Still as I said you cant argue with them.
I can see their point. I sounds like you were in the US a lot more than somebody who was just visiting. They probably wondered what was in the US that kept you coming back so often. It's possible they thought you were working, given that you were spending up to 8 months a year there.

I'm confused about your comment on a 2 year visa. Were you on a visa or the VWP?

I also don't understand how that forced you to overstay. It sounds like you wanted to spend more time in the US than you were allowed to. You were told that and decided to stay anyway. I wonder if there were valid reasons you weren't able to leave, or if you just wanted to stay with your girlfriend.

Last edited by JSL8610; May 18th 2012 at 12:06 am.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

VWP the ESTA thing. It's valid for two years! I just called it a visa in error I guess
Old May 18th 2012, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

There are multiple reasons she is one of the many factors that induced me to stay.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

VWP the ESTA thing. It's valid for two years! I just called it a visa in error I guess
Ah right, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You over stayed, that is abuse of the VWP.

For an emergency, well you'd apply for a B2, get denied, then apply for a waiver. Either way, it is a matter of weeks if lucky, more likely months than a matter of days.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is and part of the consequences of over staying the VWP by such a margin.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Further more if I had a refusal of entry on my record that's no worse than a ban for the overstay anyway!
No, because likely they would let you leave voluntarily than be properly bounced at POE, so you wouldn't have gotten a ban from entry.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

lol @farbrit. I honestly have no intention to come back here but in the event of a problem with my future's wife's family i.e a death she would want me to travel with her, therefore I would need to tap into that waver.
You seem to have been here in the US a lot.....but now you don't want to be here? At the moment you possibly have an opportunity to stay here, but this will become an awful lot harder after you leave.

Hopefully, she will not have an issue getting status in the UK. I hear the UK government is planning to raise the financial requirements to a ridiculously high level. More details on the MBTUK forum.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

I have been here in the US an awful lot in recent years. I have business commitments in the UK so I have to return home to address them. I have heard the same thing with regards to settlement costs I believe these new fee's go live in April.

Hopefully by that time she will be fully established within the UK

As I have said on a few occasions I only posted here to see if anyone knew if there were to be any potential problems when my passport is swiped at Check in.
Old May 18th 2012, 2:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check in to where?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.