Overstayed VWP - questions

Old May 18th 2012, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Overstayed VWP - questions

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
OMG. What is happening to you lot over this?

This guy asked a question, you've given answers to the letter of the law, but you're just going on and on about what the problems are.

Like many posters on here, he chose to overstay because he felt he had no choice (I'm not saying rightly) he'll be subject to a ban.

So is there any point in rubbing his nose in the IRS stuff just because you can?

His attitude may be pissing you off because he genuinely doesn't give a crap, but you can't beat him into caring by being pompous
Quite right. Shame on all of you for trying to educate him on a part of the law he previously knew nothing about. What were you thinking of, making him realize that he needed to file a US tax return?
Old May 18th 2012, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ragnox
I'm sure the IRS have bigger fish to fry than someone with no income.

What about your UK Business?
Old May 18th 2012, 5:21 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
Quite right. Shame on all of you for trying to educate him on a part of the law he previously knew nothing about. What were you thinking of, making him realize that he needed to file a US tax return?
You missed my point. I'm not going to call the original poster a troll, because I don't think he is, but he's pretty close to it. He doesn't care. If he was genuinely coming here to see how much trouble he was in, then yes, it'd be appropriate. But quite frankly, you're wasting your time.
Old May 18th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

You missed my point. I'm not going to call the original poster a troll, because I don't think he is, but he's pretty close to it. He doesn't care. If he was genuinely coming here to see how much trouble he was in, then yes, it'd be appropriate. But quite frankly, you're wasting your time.
Ah, I see. I completely misread your post. I do apologize. Carry on.
Old May 18th 2012, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ragnox
My girlfriend tells me I can file for 3 years at once...
For immigration purposes, yes... but not for annual IRS filings. You were in the US for 15 months, and that makes you liable to file a US tax return - and probably two. It doesn't matter that you didn't know. It doesn't matter that you don't have US-based income. It doesn't matter that you think it's not fair. You were in the US longer than the IRS' substantial presence threshhold.

By the way, US immigration will make bamboo shoots under your fingernails seem like a pleasant manicure when compared to the IRS!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 18th 2012 at 9:35 pm.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

His attitude may be pissing you off because he genuinely doesn't give a crap, but you can't beat him into caring by being pompous
I'm pretty sure most people here couldn't give a shit about what he does or if he cares.

They are how ever giving him information that is correct, whether he chooses to bother take it in or ignore it is entirely up to him.

It certainly won't affect anyone else over here.
Old May 19th 2012, 2:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

But quite frankly, you're wasting your time.
Okay.... and what are you doing? Frankly, the internet is the quintessential time waster of our time. Come and join the joyride. :P
Old May 19th 2012, 5:04 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Okay.... and what are you doing? Frankly, the internet is the quintessential time waster of our time. Come and join the joyride. :P
I hear ya.....
Old May 24th 2012, 9:16 am
Just Joined

dasloss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I am in a similar situation - in 2003 I went to the US on a visa waiver, overstayed almost a year and returned, having married and American women. We have not been back to the USA since November 30th 2004 and, as my ESTA was granted, I had assumed that it was fine for me to return.

We are fully settled in the UK and only intend to spend the weekend in Washington (not that this matters, I guess).

What is the situation with my 3 year ban (that I have just learned about from this forum) - did it kick in in 2004 and is now expired? And in that case - will my ESTA get me through?

Help!
Old May 24th 2012, 9:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dasloss
What is the situation with my 3 year ban (that I have just learned about from this forum) - did it kick in in 2004 and is now expired? And in that case - will my ESTA get me through?
If you've overstayed and/or had a ban then I thought you were ineligible to use the VWP ever again? So you'd need to apply for a visa. See post no's 4, 5 and 9 of this thread (there may be others too, but I only looked at the first page!).

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 24th 2012 at 9:37 am.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

iHere's the thing - I was never told that I was banned, I just left the country and nothing was ever said. the guy didn't even take the green stub of my visa waiver. I know that I am being naive - but I just assumed that if my ESTA was approved then, well.. I was approved to enter the US.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi there,

I am in a similar situation - in 2003 I went to the US on a visa waiver, overstayed almost a year and returned, having married and American women. We have not been back to the USA since November 30th 2004 and, as my ESTA was granted, I had assumed that it was fine for me to return.

We are fully settled in the UK and only intend to spend the weekend in Washington (not that this matters, I guess).

Help!
It will have kicked in the day you left. If you received a 3 year ban, it should no longer be in effect.

Regards,
James
Old May 24th 2012, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

iHere's the thing - I was never told that I was banned, I just left the country and nothing was ever said. the guy didn't even take the green stub of my visa waiver. I know that I am being naive - but I just assumed that if my ESTA was approved then, well.. I was approved to enter the US.
Again, re-read the thread from the start - the ban is automatic, you don't get told about it, and despite the approved ESTA, you are not eligible to use the VWP ever again.

Sorry, but you'll need to apply for a visa.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

It doesn't matter that you were never told. The responsibility is yours to find out, even if you had no idea that such bans were possible.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you. Most helpful.

So, for clarity: Once the 3 year ban, that I didn't know about, has lapsed (it'll have been gone for years now) - I will be eligible to apply for a tourist visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.