Orlando

Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orlando

Originally Posted by jammiie
I moved to Orlando a year ago and love it. There is a particularly negative attitude towards Florida on this forum, but that isn't uncommon and is particularly prevalent with people who live in the North East area.

I constantly have to defend my choice of location when I'm back up at our office in Boston.

I disagree. There is NOT a negative attitude towards Florida on this forum. There IS, however, a negative attitude towards the umpteen first posts from people who've visited the House of Mouse and want to move here because they 'love the lifestyle in the US', when, of course, they have absolutely no idea about the lifestyle!

Just like our friend in another forum who wants to move to Alabama because he thinks it's rural and laid back. Boy, is he ever in for a surprise if he manages to qualify for a visa (which is highly unlikely!).
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
It certainly does seem to be an assumption and theme that is jumped on quickly - People choosing Florida do so because of Disney holidays and they also don't realise what the weather is like because they have only experienced October half term.

Personally, having lived for two years in Georgia, I'd still happily move further South - it's only been in the 50's and 60's the past couple of weeks and already I'm hankering for more warmth!

I know it's usually in good humour, but you don't have people questioning those moving to the North East quite so often along the lines of why come here it is so cold in the winter.

To the original poster - if you intend on staying in work in Iraq, I wonder how that will impact your final decision due to the fact you would only be entering the USA under an ESTA (I assume)?
Why would someone with an H4 enter on ESTA?

The tax situation would however need to be considered as he would likely soend enough days to become a US tax resident even if working overseas and it’s not remittance based here.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Orlando

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I disagree. There is NOT a negative attitude towards Florida on this forum. There IS, however, a negative attitude towards the umpteen first posts from people who've visited the House of Mouse and want to move here because they 'love the lifestyle in the US', when, of course, they have absolutely no idea about the lifestyle!

Just like our friend in another forum who wants to move to Alabama because he thinks it's rural and laid back. Boy, is he ever in for a surprise if he manages to qualify for a visa (which is highly unlikely!).
Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You need to aware also that living in FL is not like going to House of Mouse on vacation, it's a humid hurricane prone pit in my humble opinion... have you been there previously and seen what like is actually like?
Originally Posted by Guindalf

How do you reconcile these two comments?
Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Simple, one persons comments does not a consensus make.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Simple, one persons comments does not a consensus make.
Yeah. That runs both ways.

There IS (IMHO) a negative attitude to Florida AND a negative attitude to the Mouseville dreamers.

Last edited by chawkins99; Nov 21st 2018 at 1:15 pm. Reason: Just My opinion
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

For whatever reason the Mouse does seem to attract the clueless.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Even if we accept there is a general 'negative attitude' (which I don't) can we not agree that each person is entitled to their point of view? I certainly wouldn't have my nose put out of joint by someone who said that GA was a humid, backwoods, flies-the-size-of-small-cars, bible-bashing, 1800s loving state.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Even if we accept there is a general 'negative attitude' (which I don't) can we not agree that each person is entitled to their point of view? I certainly wouldn't have my nose put out of joint by someone who said that GA was a humid, backwoods, flies-the-size-of-small-cars, bible-bashing, 1800s loving state.
Absolutely. I used to live in Alabama. Need I say more?
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's Mississippi not Georgia ...
Old Nov 21st 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
That's Mississippi not Georgia ...
And Louisiana, and Texas...
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
How do you reconcile these two comments?
I don't. There is no need to reconcile one person's opinion. There are exceptions to every rule and CSS is certainly an exception!

Yeah. That runs both ways.

There IS (IMHO) a negative attitude to Florida AND a negative attitude to the Mouseville dreamers.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, so you are just as entitled to be wrong as I am to be right!

...and if you have no sense of humour, don't blame me!
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

More people should consider North Carolina
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. I used to live in Alabama. Need I say more?
​​​​​​Most Floridians outside the Panhandle would say that you still do.
The Northern counties with their rolling hills have more in common with the Deep South than they do Mid and South Florida.
81F yesterday and the bugs were biting, discovered a very much alive Pygmy Rattler four inches from my nose earlier in the week and the attention it attracted on the trailer park full of snowbirds you'd have thought the freak circus had just rolled into town - the general clamour to kill it was just as I'd imagine a lynching to be and the owners were freaking out about snakes being around their property. They want the sun and the shopping malls but freak out when the local wildlife pops it's head up, best reactions are when you point out the cockroaches...forgetting that their developments are floating in a sandy swamp that gets the occasional blow.
Maybe we will get to turn off the a/c before Christmas...
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zzrmark
​​​​​​Most Floridians outside the Panhandle would say that you still do.
The Northern counties with their rolling hills have more in common with the Deep South than they do Mid and South Florida.
81F yesterday and the bugs were biting, discovered a very much alive Pygmy Rattler four inches from my nose earlier in the week and the attention it attracted on the trailer park full of snowbirds you'd have thought the freak circus had just rolled into town - the general clamour to kill it was just as I'd imagine a lynching to be and the owners were freaking out about snakes being around their property. They want the sun and the shopping malls but freak out when the local wildlife pops it's head up, best reactions are when you point out the cockroaches...forgetting that their developments are floating in a sandy swamp that gets the occasional blow.
Maybe we will get to turn off the a/c before Christmas...
Yeah. 45 minutes west or north and I would be back in Alabama. I used to live near Birmingham which is more like 4 hours north. We've had the heating on for a week now.
My wife freaks out at snakes but they really don't bother me. Unless you step on one accidentally, they won't bother you. Most snake bites are to people dumb enough to try and kill or capture them. We also get bears, armadillos and 10 million different types of bugs. The only bugs that 'bug' me are the damn yellow flies. They are relentless and I usually come out in big lumps. I got bit near my eye and the whole side of my face blew up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.