British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Orlando (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/orlando-919376/)

1461trean Nov 18th 2018 8:35 am

Orlando

Good morning

Me and my family are considering a move to Florida

We both hold british and irish passports

I currently work in Iraq doing doing private security (Was in the British Army for 12 years) currently make around £6k a month
Have also worked as an offshore.medic on north sea oil platforms

Wife is a Nurse (degree level) also has a Law Degree

I am 30 she is 27

we have two kids aged 4 years and 3 months

What are our option for moving to Florida ?

Our reason for Florida is we have Family already there

Many thanks

Noorah101 Nov 18th 2018 8:46 am

Re: Orlando

What family do you have there?

Read our Wiki article called Pulaski's Ways. It lists all the available visa paths to the USA. Once you've pinpointed a path or two that seem to suit you, let us know and we can discuss further.

Rene

1461trean Nov 18th 2018 9:12 am

Thanks for the reply

Had a little read through and i think our best option is my wifes nursing occupation

how does this work for the rest of the family?

She has an Uncle and his family in Kissamee

Noorah101 Nov 18th 2018 9:20 am

The uncle won't be of any help for immigration, as he's not a close enough relative.

Your wife would need to find a US employer willing to sponsor her for a work visa. If she can find that, the rest of the family comes along on derivative visas.

If she gets an H-1B visa, you will get an H-4 and won't be allowed to work, so make sure the family can afford to survive on one income, and that you'll be ok being the house husband.

Rene

mikelincs Nov 18th 2018 9:23 am

Originally Posted by 1461trean (Post 12595208)
Thanks for the reply

Had a little read through and i think our best option is my wifes nursing occupation

how does this work for the rest of the family?

She has an Uncle and his family in Kissamee

There are very few visa opportunities for nursing and she would need to retrain. The US is one of the most difficult countries to emigrate to, she would need a company to spend thousands of dollars getting her the visa, and even if she found one she would have to wait till April 2019 to apply for a start date in October 2019, IF she gets picked in the lottery.

1461trean Nov 18th 2018 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12595217)
The uncle won't be of any help for immigration, as he's not a close enough relative.

Your wife would need to find a US employer willing to sponsor her for a work visa. If she can find that, the rest of the family comes along on derivative visas.

If she gets an H-1B visa, you will get an H-4 and won't be allowed to work, so make sure the family can afford to survive on one income, and that you'll be ok being the house husband.

Rene

Thats great info Rene

i currently work in Iraq and intend to continue to do so.

So not working would not be an issue as i wont be working in the US right?

As for the children what are thier option long term will they become full US Citizens after a certain time?

christmasoompa Nov 18th 2018 10:06 am

There is no automatic route to citizenship from an H-1B, it’s a temporary work based visa. You’d need to try and get a ‘green card’ if you wanted to stay and apply for citizenship (which is then a number of years down the line after getting a ‘green card’).

Just be aware that getting a visa as a nurse is very tricky - although it’s improved as it used to be pretty much impossible! And your wife wouldn’t usually be able to choose where she lived and worked. There is a nurse on the forum that managed to get a visa not long ago, but her location ended up changing a few times throughout the process I believe, and I seem to recall that only a week or so before she was moving it changed again and she ended up having to go to a completely different state than the one she’d thought she’d be living in! Hopefully if you do a forum search you’ll find her threads, I can’t for the life of me remember her username now. You’ll also then find info on the exams etc your wife will need to take to work in the US.

Best of luck.

Noorah101 Nov 18th 2018 10:16 am

Originally Posted by 1461trean (Post 12595221)
Thats great info Rene

i currently work in Iraq and intend to continue to do so.

So not working would not be an issue as i wont be working in the US right?

Correct.

However, if it comes to a point where her employer will sponsor green cards for the family, you may have to be living in the USA, and especially once you obtain the green card, you will want to be living full time in the USA, otherwise you risk losing the green card and also delays you becoming a USC.

Rene

tom169 Nov 18th 2018 12:26 pm

Nursing qualifications for USA is a whole different beast to UK. You'll definitely need to work with an agency such as O'Grady Peyton. Your wife may need to go back to University. At the very least will need to pass board certifications in the USA (Google NCLEX).

Expect that your family would be placed somewhere in the middle of nowhere as that will be likely where shortages are.

Nutmegger Nov 18th 2018 2:08 pm

Search for posts by Silverdragon102, who has a lot of knowledge about nursing in the US and is very helpful.

jkeller Nov 18th 2018 2:20 pm

Halliburton, Schlumberger, Baker-Hughes might be interested in your off shore skills. I used to live near Schlumberger's headquarters in Sugarland(Houston) and there were a lot of their non-US employees living in my neighborhood. I know you said Florida, but it's a starting place.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 18th 2018 3:08 pm

Wife needs to make sure she meets US qualifications.

Find someone to sponsor her for an EB3, Hib is possible I know someone who got here that way but very rare.

Silverdragon102 Nov 18th 2018 4:31 pm

A lot will depend on whether her transcripts show clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. If deficiency in any will cause issues meeting state requirements

civilservant Nov 19th 2018 12:52 pm

You need to aware also that living in FL is not like going to House of Mouse on vacation, it's a humid hurricane prone pit in my humble opinion... have you been there previously and seen what like is actually like?

Rete Nov 19th 2018 2:50 pm

"Of the 36 hurricanes, 11 have directly hit Florida, making it the state with the most direct hits from hurricanes in the United States according to information from the National Hurricane Center. North Carolina follows Florida as the state with the most direct hits at seven hurricanes."

That ratio doesn't appear that bad.