Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

To open small beauty salon on L1/E2

To open small beauty salon on L1/E2

Old Dec 1st 2012, 12:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To open small beauty salon on L1/E2

For an E2 we would need to move the decimal point.

Never mind finding a buyer who is supportive of the valuation.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
so if you are selling the UK business then no L1...its an E2= no GC = future hassle
And if you don't make enough money, I understand (correct me if i'm wrong) the IRS and other agencies together might decide it's no longer a viable business and not renew your visas... The result being you would have to leave the US...
Old Dec 1st 2012, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

IRS would not be an issue.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate8kate0
Hi guys, thought i would update this. Have been speaking to attorneys and business broker.

Had my business valued yesterday and it seems I can get considerably more than I thought.

So my options / future plans is to buy an established salon in USA with 3 or more employees, perhaps where the owner is retiring. Have a good look at the books, I know what I'm looking for.

I've been told by attorney that it would be enough for the initial visa and would most probably be enough for renewal as well. They do like you to direct and develop the business but as this business would start out non marginal anyway with that number of employees, they would probably not baulk at the fact you have not developed it further though obviously it is better if I can.

Will keep you posted , we will be going over next year to view some salons.
Hi,
The more you start researching the more you will discover that what you plan to do may not work on paper.

Remember the Golden rule! there are literally tens of thousands of people who invest in the United States or Aussie or whatever country they want.
NOW, if you plan on investing ONLY in a hair salon use the E2 visa.
If you think that later on you plan to immigrate to the states on a more permanent basis, use ANOTHER visa.
Believe me and others here when we say that an E2 is not a long term goal and should NOT be used as a long term goal by any means IF your end game is to live in the states permanantly, because it has and it does and it will end in tears for you and for thousands of others.
(YOUR immigration attorney, will advise you this I'm sure)

p.s there will always be some smart ar@! that says 'the e2 isnt that bad' well it is! good luck
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:04 am
Account Closed

The E2 can be renewed indefinitely.

Unlike a H or L.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
The E2 can be renewed indefinitely.

Unlike a H or L.
exactly, but would you want the rest of your life renewing a visa and hopping back over to london for renewal and having your life in somebody elses hands? I wouldnt.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Tax deductible holiday?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
Tax deductible holiday?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

unclerico is an unknown quantity at this point

What still flabbergasts me is that a guy called Andy Newton Lee from Hull, went over to LA with £600 in his pocket, slept on someones couch. He was in Hollyoaks briefly, he's no star and did not get an O-1 Visa. He somehow opened a small business from his loft that he eventually moved into, in Burbank and now he owns a business there called NexStopLAX. He had no money to invest in the first place, just started it up on the internet, I wonder how people like him are getting in and startin up.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unclerico
What still flabbergasts me is that a guy called Andy Newton Lee from Hull, went over to LA with £600 in his pocket, slept on someones couch. He was in Hollyoaks briefly, he's no star and did not get an O-1 Visa. He somehow opened a small business from his loft that he eventually moved into, in Burbank and now he owns a business there called NexStopLAX. He had no money to invest in the first place, just started it up on the internet, I wonder how people like him are getting in and startin up.
Where is your source for the information? Not saying you are wrong, just want to read it
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Newton-Lee
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he's just got a US citizen relative that sponsored him? Although from reading the link JG gave, it sounds like he would qualify for an O1 to my untrained eye.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's an, um, interesting site. Next Stop LAX. Reckon they can help 'social bloggers' get visas to live in America. If people truly believe that then I may need to bang my head against a wall for a while.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Something is missing from the story. Or he's living on borrowed time.

Met a cab driver once here in Phoenix who was a roadie with Pink Floyd and jumped ship during a tour in the 70s. Still living here and had managed to regularize his status along the way.

But 40 years later and it's a lot more difficult to just up and move here.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The world of celebrity visas often seems to be a little shady. They always seem to make the headlines when they are refused, probably for silly little youthful indiscretions like drink and drugs violations as opposed to any specific lack of career highlights.

Then again you see other known figures and wonder how in hell they were allowed in. People like Andrew Wakefield spring to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.