Which one is the legal name?

Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

joeyseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which one is the legal name?

I'm going to file the N-400 and now I have a question about the legal name. Should I follow the name on Social Security Card or Driver's License or the Green Card?

I use my own name on the GC because I thought it had to match the name on my own passport, ie. Siu Man YIP.

After I got married, I put my husband's last name and took off my own last name on both SSC and DL, ie Siu-Man MURPHY.

I'm guessing the Siu-Man Murphy should be my legal name in the US. Appreciate if anyone can help.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which one is the legal name?

Originally Posted by joeyseven
After I got married, I put my husband's last name and took off my own last name on both SSC and DL, ie Siu-Man MURPHY.
Your legal name is the one you use... the one you want on your Naturalization Certificate. You can actually call yourself whatever you want as long as you are not trying to commit fraud. Since you'll also need to include a copy of your marriage certificate, it'll be clear that you are Sui-Man Murphy.

You'll probably want to update your passport! After you naturalize, your GC won't matter.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joeyseven
I'm going to file the N-400 and now I have a question about the legal name. Should I follow the name on Social Security Card or Driver's License or the Green Card?

I use my own name on the GC because I thought it had to match the name on my own passport, ie. Siu Man YIP.

I'm guessing the Siu-Man Murphy should be my legal name in the US. Appreciate if anyone can help.
Hi:

They are both your "legal" names. Note that on the N-400, you have the option of changing your name. In situations like yours my practice is to use the name on the green card and request it be changed to your married name. That way, DHS doesn't have to think -- it is dangerous to make them think if it is not necessary.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:15 am
Just Joined

I know I can change my name. I have this question because in the form Part I, I need to fill in my current legal name which makes me wonder which ID document I should follow.

I found more info on its website, because of my marriage certificate would make Siu-Man Murphy as my current legal name.

Thanks for your help.