N-400 (N400) Filing Question

Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

jpthakkar is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up N-400 (N400) Filing Question

Hello everyone,

I recently read few posts about filing N-400 and noticed that everyone who files N-400 submits several proofs including of marraige certificates, address, utility bills etc however when i read the the instruction on USCIS for N-400, I did not find anywhere to attach such types of documents. The only thing that I found to be send is the Application form and relevant fees. Please advise me where do i see more information or the list of required docs specified by USCIS.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 (N400) Filing Question

You might want to start out with the Guide to Naturalization which can be found at the USCIS website. Quite surprisingly there is a lot of valuable information about the process in this guide. Good luck!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpthakkar
Hello everyone,

I recently read few posts about filing N-400 and noticed that everyone who files N-400 submits several proofs including of marraige certificates, address, utility bills etc however when i read the the instruction on USCIS for N-400, I did not find anywhere to attach such types of documents. The only thing that I found to be send is the Application form and relevant fees. Please advise me where do i see more information or the list of required docs specified by USCIS.

Thanks in advance.

The instruction about marriage based waivers is on the page Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
This document is also a part of the required reading: A Guide To Naturalization M-476.
If you are applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:

Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:
Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
Naturalization Certificate, or
Certificate of Citizenship, or
The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or
Form FS-240, "Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America," and
Your current marriage certificate, and
Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and
Documents referring to you and your spouse:
Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

If you or your spouse are applying based on 5 years as a Permanent Resident, include the regular required documents.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

jpthakkar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot. you guys are genious.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jpthakkar
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Hi:

It is only relevant if you are filing for naturalization after 3, rather than 5 years based upon the marriage. When I have done these, I just filed the N-400 with a photocopy of the green card, two photos and the requisite filing fee. It has never generated an RFE and we produce the stuff at the interview -- and they don't need all that much.

If you are filing based on 3 year marriage, then feel free to put in the stuff if it makes you feel better.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 3:06 am
Just Joined

corneydavid is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are filing for naturalization based on marriage should my wife go to the citizenship interview with me? It is not a problem if she has to go, but reading all the paperwork I get the impression you either need permission to take someone with you, or it is discouraged.

Thanks.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corneydavid
If you are filing for naturalization based on marriage should my wife go to the citizenship interview with me?
It is *your* interview... your wife is not allowed to attend. However, she can wait outside for you!

Ian
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

corneydavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It is *your* interview... your wife is not allowed to attend. However, she can wait outside for you!

Ian
Thanks for the prompt response, Ian. Reading the paperwork I understood it was only me they wanted see, but I wanted to double check.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corneydavid
Thanks for the prompt response, Ian. Reading the paperwork I understood it was only me they wanted see, but I wanted to double check.

Either way. I was in the waiting room when my husband had his interview and the adjudicating officer came out to meet me and congratulate me on putting together such a well prepared package for the N-400. This has occurred to several others and yet many more have gone without their spouses and have been fine. Your choice.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:24 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

as I don't have three years taxes filed yet, what documents do I need to send to satisfy this part - "Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children,"

Stuff that shows our names and the same address? we don't have joint ANYTHING but will have statements, utility bills etc in both our names showing the same address.

I'm presuming that these documents are required to show that you are still living with the spouse who sponsored your I-130.

a.