One Day at a Time - EB GC's

Old May 11th 2007, 8:15 pm
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all
Default One Day at a Time - EB GC's

Just a quick note to all you folks who are waiting for employment based AOS at whatever stage you are at (from one who has been through the process.)
For me it has been a long trip but the first realization I had when I looked at my GC (apart form the fact that it is not actually green) was the fact that I had just been promoted to the rank of 'ordinary'... Just like every other American with the choice to be as ordinary or as extraordinary as I wish. It was a good feeling and I wanted to share some thoughts with the best of possible intentions.

1. Don't give up the hope even though you feel that are in a precarious position most of the time. Some would say that the process is, in itself, a rite of passage to a better place in your life. Look down the road to where you will be and dig in to yourself.

2. Take it literally one day at a time but plan for the long haul. It's a marathon not a sprint.

3. Do not draw any uneccessary attention to yourself from USCIS unless you absolutely have to... A low profile is good.

4. Don't believe a single thing anybody tells you about your case until you are actually holding the green card in your hand.

5. If USCIS ask for something ... give it to them immediately, save a copy for yourself and send a backup copy to your lawyer. Do not prevaricate and never, ever, lie.

6. Dont forget to look after the feelings of your partner or family if they are accompanying you on this GC journey. They have needs too and just because we are focussed into the process of keeping a job and earning the beans doesn't mean thay they are not anxious too. Re-assure them and give them time.

7. Don't surf too many immigration sites... It will make you anxious.

8. Only check your case status three times a week otherwise it begins to take over your life.

9. Keep your lawyer on the ball... Don't assume that they are doing something... Call them and confirm it and have them write or email you confirmation. Dont deal directly with USCIS if you can avoid it... Thats what you pay your lawyer for and they speak the lingo.

10. Plan a big celebration in detail for when that sweet piece of plastic arrives in your mailbox. Keep the celebrations in your mind for the dark days when you feel hopeless and frustrated and when the card arrives be proud for you will have earned it with perseverance and dedication to your dream..

I wish you all luck and a very short wait

Last edited by Scotz; May 11th 2007 at 8:55 pm.