Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

One day service for expired greencards???

One day service for expired greencards???

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:29 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default One day service for expired greencards???

On Wednesday I had to tell a hispanic worker that he was going to be let go on Friday because his greencard had expired 2 years ago. Amazingly enough, he called in Thursday saying he was going to AYL to get a new one...and Friday morning came back with a 'new' card. HR said it was a 'real' card...Oddly enough it does not look like Mrs' IP's card...

I did not have the heart (or the malice) to inform HR Afterall, they are the experts.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One day service for expired greencards???

Originally Posted by ironporer
On Wednesday I had to tell a hispanic worker that he was going to be let go on Friday because his greencard had expired 2 years ago. Amazingly enough, he called in Thursday saying he was going to AYL to get a new one...and Friday morning came back with a 'new' card. HR said it was a 'real' card...Oddly enough it does not look like Mrs' IP's card...

I did not have the heart (or the malice) to inform HR Afterall, they are the experts.
GCs may expire, but the status does not - so you had no basis for 'letting him go' anyway.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

evilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
GCs may expire, but the status does not - so you had no basis for 'letting him go' anyway.
Really? I thought that if the green card expired you were out of status and subject to deportation?

At least that's what I always understood. I ask this since I just sent in the paperwork for my wife's removal of conditions a week ago. Needless to say I am an inquiring mind that wants to know!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evilned
Really? I thought that if the green card expired you were out of status and subject to deportation?

At least that's what I always understood. I ask this since I just sent in the paperwork for my wife's removal of conditions a week ago. Needless to say I am an inquiring mind that wants to know!
I was talking about Lawful Permanent Residents - which is what I assume the OP was referring to.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The card expires, not your status. You *are* a PR until an IJ says you're not.

At least that's what I always understood. I ask this since I just sent in the paperwork for my wife's removal of conditions a week ago.
The obligation is to file the I-751 when you have a 2-year GC and, other than that, you *are* a PR until an IJ says you're not. Besides, there is no indication that the GC mentioned by the OP was a 2-year card.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

evilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to allevilned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
I was talking about Lawful Permanent Residents - which is what I assume the OP was referring to.
Ah!
Live and learn then. Knowledge is a good thing to have, and it's always good to ask a question and be thought a fool for 5 minutes, then to remain silent and be a fool forever.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:07 pm
Homebody

Ah!
Live and learn then. Knowledge is a good thing to have, and it's always good to ask a question and be thought a fool for 5 minutes, then to remain silent and be a fool forever.
Isn't it just - and look at all those little blue boxes you have all of a sudden!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

Well I get what you're saying -- nobody else seems to! Has he managed to get a working SSN? That usually trips 'em up but the notice takes 18 months or so unless your HR uses the e-verify program. Hence, round here they all move from Burger King -> McDonald's -> Wendy's etc in a constant circle. Or at least they did till the new employer sanctions law came in. We now have long lines outside fast food establishments as nobody knows what they're doing in the places.

The ones I've seen are pretty good except for the silvered back -- they just don't seem to even be able to get close with that part of the card.

HR is probably afraid to move. They aren't meant to be the immigration police. As long as the card looks like the bad photocopies in their I-9 manual they ain't going to reject it until SSA throw them a letter.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
HR is probably afraid to move. They aren't meant to be the immigration police. As long as the card looks like the bad photocopies in their I-9 manual they ain't going to reject it until SSA throw them a letter.
Part of my job involves checking ID for age, now we have a big manual on acceptabe ID and what to look for in forgeries.

If I FU, big problems, but HR can get away with it, always amused me.

So why do I have to be the Police?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Part of my job involves checking ID for age, now we have a big manual on acceptabe ID and what to look for in forgeries.

If I FU, big problems, but HR can get away with it, always amused me.

So why do I have to be the Police?
Well as long as we can blame someone when we get suit filed against us and fire them, that's okay. And -- remember -- HR are always blameless! The dinosaurs died out first. American corporations are beginning to look very similar.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unacceptable documents for me include Green Cards...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:17 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well I get what you're saying -- nobody else seems to! Has he managed to get a working SSN? That usually trips 'em up but the notice takes 18 months or so unless your HR uses the e-verify program. Hence, round here they all move from Burger King -> McDonald's -> Wendy's etc in a constant circle. Or at least they did till the new employer sanctions law came in. We now have long lines outside fast food establishments as nobody knows what they're doing in the places.

The ones I've seen are pretty good except for the silvered back -- they just don't seem to even be able to get close with that part of the card.

Yes, his SS matches up. My guess is that he bought somebody's valdi GC and SS# in the past...someone whom he resembled- but when the 2 yr card expired he could not renew it.
The card is not bad- but as you say, no holograms on the back.