Once im on my H1B....

Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Tony79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Once im on my H1B....

Hi all

Jumping the gun a little but I just want to be clearer on things. Been over to the US on the vwp at the company's expense, and love it. They were trying to get me on an L visa but the sister UK company I worked for went bust. So am now waiting for my H1B to get approved.

I'm thinking that I also want to settle there, so am thinking that soon as I have the H1B I should start asking the company about sponsoring me for a GC. As by the sounds of it this can take 6 years on a EB3, meaning I may not have it by the time my 6 years on the H1B is up? Would that get extended if not?

I have a BSc computer science (first) from 2002 and about 7.5 years working as a developer since. 2.5 of which was at the sister company (hence my main value to them). No other major qualifications or associations. Which puts me in the EB3 pot?

Many thanks

Tony
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Once im on my H1B....

Originally Posted by Tony79
Hi all

Jumping the gun a little but I just want to be clearer on things. Been over to the US on the vwp at the company's expense, and love it. They were trying to get me on an L visa but the sister UK company I worked for went bust. So am now waiting for my H1B to get approved.

I'm thinking that I also want to settle there, so am thinking that soon as I have the H1B I should start asking the company about sponsoring me for a GC. As by the sounds of it this can take 6 years on a EB3, meaning I may not have it by the time my 6 years on the H1B is up? Would that get extended if not?

I have a BSc computer science (first) from 2002 and about 7.5 years working as a developer since. 2.5 of which was at the sister company (hence my main value to them). No other major qualifications or associations. Which puts me in the EB3 pot?

Many thanks

Tony
If you want your company to sponsor you for a GC then make sure it's in writing as part of your contract.
Once the GC process has started and you have reached the labor certification stage then you can renew your H1B past the 6 year stage until your GC is approved (or not). We had to do this yearly, which was a pain in the butt, but worth it!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Tony79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh cool that's good to know.

And thanks for the advice, I'm on great terms with the co and they mentioned citizenship etc during the inital tabling of this idea. But ill get them to document it, I'd imagine they'd want to throw in a condition that if I leave the co during a certain time that ill reimburse or something. Which will work.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony79
Not necessarily. For EB2, the employer would have to show that the role you are employed in requires either a Masters degree or a Bachelors degree plus 5+ years of relevant experience, so based on what you describe above it might be applicable.