Old style GC

Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

DANUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Old style GC

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They'd probably ask for proof of your ties to the USA over all these years. I suppose if you claim to be a PR and have no proof to show it at the POE besides an outdated GC, they will probably let you go before an immigration judge to plead your case...but you may be waiting in detention until you can get an appointment with a judge. You would have to show the judge that you had ongoing ties to the USA all these years.

Rene
hummmm interesting.

Thanks for the advise. I'll be sure to let you all know how it pans out when i arrive this autumn (fall).
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:23 pm
L D Jones

Hooch wrote:
> On Aug 17, 4:25 pm, DANUK <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have an old style green card, issued to me in 1979 when I was just
>> four. Since having it issued along with a SSN my father moved us all
>> over to the uk. That was twenty six years ago. I grew up here not
>> knwoing I even had a green card or a SSN, i have been over the the
>> states on many occasions but visa waivered eachtime.
>>
>> Last week I found out i had a GC and SSN and although it's many many
>> years old, could I immigrate to the US?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Do you look anything like the photograph on your Green Card?
>
Does it matter?

Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by L D Jones
Hooch wrote:
> On Aug 17, 4:25 pm, DANUK <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have an old style green card, issued to me in 1979 when I was just
>> four. Since having it issued along with a SSN my father moved us all
>> over to the uk. That was twenty six years ago. I grew up here not
>> knwoing I even had a green card or a SSN, i have been over the the
>> states on many occasions but visa waivered eachtime.
>>
>> Last week I found out i had a GC and SSN and although it's many many
>> years old, could I immigrate to the US?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Do you look anything like the photograph on your Green Card?
>
Does it matter?
yeah, I'm interested to find out where hooch is coming from on this....anyone else know or have an idea?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DANUK
yeah, I'm interested to find out where hooch is coming from on this....anyone else know or have an idea?
No, it doesn't matter what your photo looks like on the card. Not at all. The poster who asked that was probably just curious. The photo isn't relevant, it's proving you didn't abandon your US residency that matters. You've used the VWP, you haven't lived in the USA in many years, those are 2 good indications you no longer are a US PR. I don't know if you've maintained a residence in the USA, bank accounts in the USA, or filed US taxes, but those are all things you must have done in order to maintain your PR status as well. Eventually, anything longer than 2 years outside the USA will put your PR status at risk, and you've been gone since you were a child.

Let us know what happens.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking for this for you yesterday and another poster sent me the link of TODAY'S announcement from USCIS regarding old-style Green Cards:
(thank you mdyoung!)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...eplacement.pdf

Permanent Resident Cards Without Expiration Dates Must Be Replaced

Finally, the rule proposes a mechanism for terminating “green cards” without an expiration date. Under the rule, USCIS would be able to terminate permanent resident cards without an expiration date via notice in the Federal Register. More information on this initiative is available in an accompanying Fact Sheet and Questions and Answers notice.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was looking for this for you yesterday and another poster sent me the link of TODAY'S announcement from USCIS regarding old-style Green Cards:
(thank you mdyoung!)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...eplacement.pdf

Permanent Resident Cards Without Expiration Dates Must Be Replaced

Finally, the rule proposes a mechanism for terminating “green cards” without an expiration date. Under the rule, USCIS would be able to terminate permanent resident cards without an expiration date via notice in the Federal Register. More information on this initiative is available in an accompanying Fact Sheet and Questions and Answers notice.
wow interesting. I guess it still doesn't change much for me but thank you ever so much for your help.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

wow interesting. I guess it still doesn't change much for me but thank you ever so much for your help.
Okay I thought what if I entered on the VWP and as I hold an old style GC I decided to go and update my GC at the local application support center.

Would they not simply update my GC or again would I have to prove my ties were not broken?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:07 pm
Joe Feise

DANUK wrote on 09/04/07 05:33:

>> wow interesting. I guess it still doesn't change much for me but thank
>> you ever so much for your help.
>
> Okay I thought what if I entered on the VWP and as I hold an old
> style GC I decided to go and update my GC at the local application
> support center.
>
> Would they not simply update my GC or again would I have to prove my
> ties were not broken?

If you enter on a visa waiver you show right there that you are not residing in
the US.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.